Quad Axle Skeletal Trailer

Yesterday, on the A134 going north, I followed a 4x2 Magnum pulling a 45 ft. container on a Quad Axle skeletal trailer, normal size wheels etc. What advantage is there to running with six axles in that configuration ?
Many more axles are found on STGO loads but this didn’t appear to anything other than a normal container movement.

The Miracles of Modern Engineering :smiley:

The Multi Axle trailers are capable of splitting in the middle… so you can drop the rear half of the trailer, with a 20’ box on a loading dock… and take the front half to another dock… or even another delivery :smiley:

just a thought but when it comes to the dreaded ministry test is the trailer capable of being tested whilst it is split (ie front half tested only) :question:

Not as far as I know…but I do know a couple of people who pull them so I’ll ask next time I see one of them. :bulb:

That said, the front half comes complete with lights/numberplate/etc…so I could well be wrong. The lads I’ve talked to have all said that they wouldn’t fancy taking it any distance loaded or even loaded empty like that…not the stablest set-up in the world. :open_mouth:

(for non-boxbores…empty in containers means no box, loaded empty means an empty box.)

sheeters not on about those trailers, hes on about a belgian 4 axle skeletal, it comes in through dartford, and i believe that in belgium, more axles = higher gross weight? but dont quote me! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

paul

ro-ro pulls one Sheeter, he’s the man in the know. Take a look at this…
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

… actually you’re probably right flatbedman, just taken a look at ro-ro’s pic and his trailer has 5 axles! Ooops. Worth a look anyway Sheeter.

There are 4-axle splitting-skellies…It’s just that the 5 axle ones are a tad more verstile/stable… :wink:

Maybe one day i’ll be versatile/stable :wink:

im right! you’ll see! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

paul

Roger Breaker:
Maybe one day i’ll be versatile/stable :wink:

We can but live in (probably vain) hope, RB… :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

You stick to moderating, moderator! :wink: :wink:
two winks, is that a blink?

Roger Breaker:
You stick to moderating, moderator! :wink: :wink:
two winks, is that a blink?

No, it’s a metaphorical application of the now infamous “Tin 'At”!!! :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing:

ps.i was refering to myself as much as you… :blush:

Questions then Please… :slight_smile: Happy to help how i can.

LucyR:
There are 4-axle splitting-skellies…It’s just that the 5 axle ones are a tad more verstile/stable… :wink:

True. When running front only empty or full the 2 axles help alot, but as a rule I (and other drivers in my fleet that pull them) tend not to pull front only for more than 10 miles from base/other part of trailer. the 4 (or 5 in my case) axles can all be down or just the rear 3 (with the rearmost stearing and any on the front trailer thats down also stearing). on mine i run the trailer (when joined) up-down/steer-down/fixed-down/fixed-down/steer. when you uncouple the front trailer wheels automaticly lower and the stearing on the front trailer is blocked. hope this helps but any questions feel free to ask. ill do my best to answer.

You are right Flatbedman, I’m not talking about those split trailers, The thing I saw was a one piece chassis and the axles were equally spaced apart and all down.
I’ve looked at the archive stuff regarding split trailers in the Old Forum and it was not one of those. If they can run higher gross weights in Belgium and elsewhere then it makes sense having four trailer axles.
Many thanks, that answers it.

Had a thumb through december’s TRUCKING magazine sheeter, and there’s one in there in the show report. See what you mean now fella.

no problem sheeter, you’re welcome! :wink: :wink:

paul