Q's about Skip Delivery

Had a chat with a guy who picked up our skip today, where I asked him a few questions regarding his kind of work as I’ve been considering getting my Cat 2 licence for a while now.

His 1st comment was… “Don’t do this career if you have a young family to support”… I found this strange, so I was curious to find out why. He then said, “you have to pay your own petrol and dumping fees”, so was wondering if this was true. Unfortunately, he was in such a rush that I couldn’t chat any longer.

I’m currently working for Volkswagon as a service driver where I’m earning just over £16k for a 45 hour week. I’m expecting my 1st child in October, so I really need to be earning more money. I’ll be moving to Bournemouth next month, so was wondering If I could earn a fair amount more delivering Skips in that area?

I’m more interested in local work rather than driving hundreds of miles each week. I’ve also been considering the tipper trucks.

Gaz

The only way he’d be paying for his own fuel and dumping costs would be if he’s the boss of the skip company.

Yeah, that’s exactly what he is… lol… So, that wouldn’t be the case for a normal employee?

Gaz88:
Yeah, that’s exactly what he is… lol… So, that wouldn’t be the case for a normal employee?

Those costs are met by the employer, and just like any other business the company charges the the customers enough to cover the costs incurred in the running of his/her business, so in the long run the customer pays.

I thought it was very strange why a driver would have to pay for his own petrol. Thanks for clearing that up :slight_smile:

Regarding employment. Would it be fairly straight forward for a newbie to get a job delivering skips? Or tippers?