QE2 Bridge / Dartford yesterday aft

Anyone else get stuck?

Was one of those, well, were not going anywhere so poinless getting stressed! Perfectly timed for a friday afternoon.

The ejector artic burned out was just before the tolls on the south side of the bridge by the time we got through the tunnel (south, my first experience of). Apparently it was going to be closed for a good while while the fuel spill was cleaned up.

Yep, I was in it. Took me 4 hours and 15 minutes from leaving the yard in Hatfield to get into Kent. I did get an uninterrupted 1 hour 47 minute break in and watched two TV programmes on my laptop in that time which as I am paid by the hour was money for nothing. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
Yep, I was in it. Took me 4 hours and 15 minutes from leaving the yard in Hatfield to get into Kent. I did get an uninterrupted 1 hour 47 minute break in and watched two TV programmes on my laptop in that time which as I am paid by the hour was money for nothing. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Aye! My chauffeur also had a long uninterrupted break. We even had a stroll. Was that you perhaps in De Panne last night?

Yep, well over 3hrs from m11/m25 jct to far side of bridge, somehow didn’t manage a break (not for want of trying) and racked up over 5hrs driving time. Should I have stopped on the hard shoulder like the foreign trucks were or was I right to push on?

darkseeker:
Yep, well over 3hrs from m11/m25 jct to far side of bridge, somehow didn’t manage a break (not for want of trying) and racked up over 5hrs driving time. Should I have stopped on the hard shoulder like the foreign trucks were or was I right to push on?

If it was moving, push on to next safe place to park by rights. I guess your bit was on the move as most stuff will have been off down the A12. We were fairly lucky as we got in to it at the A13 junction, far enough forward but also far enough back. Was fun seeing stuff coming the wrong way back over the bridge. I bet the blackwall and woolwich ferry were just as bad!

Ferry certainly was; they went on and on about it on the radio, would have stopped in services just before the bridge but apparently everyone had had the same idea (and I was stuck in the wrong lane!). Written explanation on the rear; “went over time (4.5hrs) to get to a safe place to park due to congestion on motorway” Is that sufficiant?

darkseeker:
Ferry certainly was; they went on and on about it on the radio, would have stopped in services just before the bridge but apparently everyone had had the same idea (and I was stuck in the wrong lane!). Written explanation on the rear; “went over time (4.5hrs) to get to a safe place to park due to congestion on motorway” Is that sufficiant?

Yeah you could add M25 Dartford but you’ve done your bit. Don’t forget to keep in with you for the next month just in case.

Aye unlucky for those in the services as when we passed, the barrier was down stopping people from entering towards the bridge! This in turn had blocked the roundabout completely.

i got stuck going north bound! what was that all about? when i eventually got though the tolls i was lined up for right tunnel and didn’t stop again the queue seemed to be people trying to get to tilbury

zippy!:

Coffeeholic:

Aye! My chauffeur also had a long uninterrupted break. We even had a stroll. Was that you perhaps in De Panne last night?

I wasn’t in De Panne but I was in Adinkerke at the Texaco from about 19:30 - 20:00 local time yesterday evening.

zippy!:

darkseeker:

If it was moving, push on to next safe place to park by rights. I guess your bit was on the move as most stuff will have been off down the A12. We were fairly lucky as we got in to it at the A13 junction, far enough forward but also far enough back. Was fun seeing stuff coming the wrong way back over the bridge. I bet the blackwall and woolwich ferry were just as bad!

I came off the M25 at the exit for Lakeside, cut down through there and then joined the queue about 6 vehicles back from the roundabout where the exit from the services is and it was there I managed to ‘squeeze’ my break in. it was a better option than shuffling a few feet forward every few minutes on the motorway. Once I got moving again I was through the pipe in no time at all. Blackwall was busy as one of our lads coming up from the train to the yard went that way.

darkseeker:

Certainly is, Article 12

Provided that road safety is not thereby jeopardised and to
enable the vehicle to reach a suitable stopping place, the driver
may depart from Articles 6 to 9 to the extent necessary to
ensure the safety of persons, of the vehicle or its load. The
driver shall indicate the reason for such departure manually on
the record sheet of the recording equipment or on a printout
from the recording equipment or in the duty roster, at the
latest on arrival at the suitable stopping place.

The beauty of the tunnel or bridge being closed, there will be a record somewhere, either with the BBC, the HATO or the Police.

Thurrock services was chockablock and unless you know the local area there is no other available parking

i bet the services made a killing in pay and display charges as dont you only get 2 hours free?

jh

Coffeeholic:

zippy!:

Coffeeholic:

I wasn’t in De Panne but I was in Adinkerke at the Texaco from about 19:30 - 20:00 local time yesterday evening.

Hugging the cashier? :wink:

Well, pleased to meet you indirectly, we were parked in the layby next to it and we were walking out of the wc area as you walked in. :arrow_right:

Guess I will add that to the spotteds then, my first. :slight_smile:

Will say something next time. :smiley:

zippy!:
jh

Coffeeholic:

zippy!:

Coffeeholic:

Yes indeed, she is a good friend and is just back from holiday so I hadn’t seen her for about 3 weeks so it was an extra long hug! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

zippy!:
Well, pleased to meet you indirectly, we were parked in the layby next to it and we were walking out of the wc area as you walked in. :arrow_right:

I remember.

zippy!:

Yes, do.

Coffeeholic:

zippy!:
jh

Coffeeholic:

zippy!:

Coffeeholic:

Yes indeed, she is a good friend and is just back from holiday so I hadn’t seen her for about 3 weeks so it was an extra long hug! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

zippy!:

I remember.

zippy!:

Yes, do.

Bloody gutted, I would have bought you a coffee too. Nice to “see” you though mate.

zippy!:
Bloody gutted, I would have bought you a coffee too. Nice to “see” you though mate.

Very generous of you, but the coffee is free in there. :wink: Wait until we bump into each other somewhere else and you can buy it then. :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

zippy!:

Very generous of you, but the coffee is free in there. :wink: Wait until we bump into each other somewhere else and you can buy it then. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well if its gonna happen, it will be late on a friday night or early monday morning at one of the lovely service stations on the E17/E40 corridor.

That was my first visit to Adinkerke itself. Nice little spot that Texaco, pity the shower was out of order. I usually go down the N8 for about 3 or 4 miles to a similar spot for a coke. In this case I took the opportunity for a Jupiler as it was madams birthday and obv I was not driving. I bloody wish I was though, talk about having a big carrot waved in front of you for a week!

zippy!:
Anyone else get stuck?

The ejector artic burned out. Apparently it was going to be closed for a good while while the fuel spill was cleaned up.

The main problem was all the tarmac that was burnt up had to be replaced thats why it was so f### up.
Plus the fire peps sprad foam every where and we had to wait for another truck with water to hose it all down.
For some reason they would not connect to the hydrent on the bridge ■■

darkseeker:

I would advise to include the location of the hold up, as between recorded start & finish locations & upto 15 hrs from start to finish, you could be anywhere.

“went over time” the one word “exceeded” saves writing 3 words :wink: