Q Re. Slinging 4M Steel Plate

Hi, I have a job coming up of a load of steel going to a boatyard.

The customer wants it unloading through the doors of the dock (hiab) so there is a height restriction to consider.

There are a lot of lengths of various types of section which are no prob, but there will also be a number of 4Meter x 2Meter sheets.

I have plenty of experience with a crane but have never done a large load of steel like this before.

So for those with experience delivering steel, the question is, how would you sling the sheets horizontally so they can be put through the doors.

I have a hook but also a brick grab which can act as a spreader. I have 6M strops for my usual work but obviously know I can’t use them with steel as they will be cut.

This is a one off job that may lead to more. I am wondering if I could improvise using the equipment I have using corner protectors etc., or I can hire the right chains etc. to do the job properly.

Just want to know what the experienced folk would use for this.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Chains. Anything else is a compromise.

Google steel plate lifting clamps, you can hire them, if you were closer you could have borrowed mine, we use them for lifting plate steel on overhead crane and on site with Fassi crane. Hope this helps.

This is what you need - two pairs.

Just choke your slings with carpet under them .

Punchy Dan:
Just choke your slings with carpet under them .

Aye, slings will be OK , carpet or thick rubber on the edges then choke em.
I seldom use chains on steel unless theres’ zero chance of them slipping. if you need a big spread between the pair, they can slip with disastrous consequences.

Plate clamps.

Normally I would use a pair off slings with the bite at the top edge and plenty packing on the bottom edge to protect the slings.
As overhead clearance is an issue then chains (2 leg) with shorteners would probably be the best bet, Slippage could be an issue so with the bite at the top I would put thick rubber on the bottom edge and I would also keep both chain legs quite close together near the center of the sheet. Take it easy when you lift of the deck checking the balance before you commit to the lift.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, so sounds like either using the slings, choked, with packing at edges will be ok, or hire 4 plate clamps and a 4 leg chain.

Its the slippage that is the main concern, especially the “disastrous consequences” bit. [emoji3] Trying to spread the support points but keeping the height quite low. Leads to possible wide angle. That is why I was wondering if single hook is ok or if it ought to be spread. Also I imagine at 4M long they will be quite bendy, particularly if only supported quite close to the center to reduce chance of them slipping inwards more.

I’ll work something out. Thanks for the advice. Cheers!

Looooo:
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, so sounds like either using the slings, choked, with packing at edges will be ok, or hire 4 plate clamps and a 4 leg chain.

Its the slippage that is the main concern, especially the “disastrous consequences” bit. [emoji3] Trying to spread the support points but keeping the height quite low. Leads to possible wide angle. That is why I was wondering if single hook is ok or if it ought to be spread. Also I imagine at 4M long they will be quite bendy, particularly if only supported quite close to the center to reduce chance of them slipping inwards more.

Not sure of the weights involved with your steel but make sure you de-rate the chains or slings should you exceed 60 degrees between the legs / slings. Sorry if I’m teaching you how to ■■■■ eggs but many don’t consider it!
liftingsafety.co.uk/product/ … -2564.html

Looooo:
Thanks for the replies.

If you sling the plates with a bite on them, depending upon the thickness of the plates they will bend upwards slightly along the 2m edge so making them nice and stiff lengthwise, stopping them from flopping. If they are quite thick they won’t bend and will be strong enough not to flop. Protect the edges of your straps and you should be fine.

I’ve got 2 clamps for stone & granite ,one is a semetrical scissor will clamp 70 mm the other is one sided roller will clamp up to 50 mm I don’t trust either of them , the local steel stockholder had an accident recently a mans foot was injured by steel plate slipping out the clamp , the hse found no faults .