Pye's transport rainford (st helens glass)

Hi bud msg ref to A286OVM

hi i am trying to find some information about this company and also what happened to make them dissapear it was owend by my grandads cousin and was based in lords fold rainford , they used to transport for st helens glass and that about all i know , they used to have seddon atkins and think they went to daf’s before they dissapered when i was about 14 which is 12 years back

al_P:
hi i am trying to find some information about this company and also what happened to make them dissapear it was owend by my grandads cousin and was based in lords fold rainford , they used to transport for st helens glass and that about all i know , they used to have seddon atkins and think they went to daf’s before they dissapered when i was about 14 which is 12 years back

I thought that Pye had wrapped up in an orderly way, perhaps retired?

Here’s the very first Mk.1 Atkinson built:

There are some pictures at these pages:
wagonpics.com/g21p16.htm
wagonpics.com/g21p17.htm

truckfing:
wagonpics.com/g21p16.htm
wagonpics.com/g21p17.htm

You are a “Star Man” Truckfing for putting these great photos on the thread!!! Bewick.

I can’t take credit for the pictures Dennis, I did not take them myself.

truckfing:
I can’t take credit for the pictures Dennis, I did not take them myself.

Yea but you are digging 'em out Truckfing!!! Dennis.

in the line up of drivers ,the bloke 2nd from the left is jimmy towns who runs an f16 610 flat on timber and steel between northern scotland and lancashire.Pyes finished in the late 90s as they were no longer getting work direct from pilks there is a 240gardner borderer knocking about in the north east which lay in the yard for many tears

truckfing:
wagonpics.com/g21p16.htm
wagonpics.com/g21p17.htm

thanks for the replys did not think i would get any to be honest if anyone finds any more pictures i would be very gratefull , i am thinking of when/if i become an owner driver of getting my truck to be a modern replica of the old company trucks so hence why i want a few pictures and details of what happened and what they hauled. thanks for the info so far tho :sunglasses:

[center

][/center]

atkiman:
in the line up of drivers ,the bloke 2nd from the left is jimmy towns who runs an f16 610 flat on timber and steel between northern scotland and lancashire.Pyes finished in the late 90s as they were no longer getting work direct from pilks there is a 240gardner borderer knocking about in the north east which lay in the yard for many tears

truckfing:
wagonpics.com/g21p16.htm
wagonpics.com/g21p17.htm

The Fist on the left Fred Pye next Jimmy Towns next not sure next Ron Smith next Gerald Pye next not Sure last on the right Frank Pye

It must have been around the time that Nico Nijman / Nijman Zeetank took over the transport from Pilkington. They had been around the area quite a while as I worked on the tanks for them. Janice Altenberg & Ted Chapman were working from an office up in Southport iirc and Clive Riggall came over from Suthrells in Lincoln in the mid 80’s

I delivered a couple of new DAF 2800 with Innenladers about 1984 I seem to remember. They came from Nijman in Spijkenisse

There is a driver for Nijman Zeetank posts on here occasionally

there are still a few ex pyes drivers at nico,s Stan Brown,Rob Brown,Eddie hurst,rob still says its the best job he ever had.Someone said Bernard Ecclestone has a huge stash of photos of pyes motors.The atki that was in the yard was new to stan brown,he came off a 150 gardner 8 wheeler and went to a 240 borderer,said it was terrible for the first trip,sent it back to patricroft and it would catch pidgeons after!