Put your hands together for our fellow drivers

…who happen to be driving gritters tonight.

Must be the most thankless jobs in the transport industry. I mean how many other jobs do you have people going on national and local TV, radio and print on a daily basis slagging them off.

Many times i’ve followed a gritter on a stretch of road, only to hear an hour or so later someone moaning about the same stretch of road not being gritted.

Or people moaning that because 3ft of snow fell in the last 20min they cant get their car out.

Another one is people moaning that it’s taken ages to get a two wheel drive lorry with a massive plough on the front along a road which they got their Range-Rover stuck on.

They’re tacho excempt so can easily work an 11 hour night shift with little or no break.

So everyone spare a thought for the gritter drivers. They are, after all, fellow HGV drivers doing a job which trys to make up for the nations general lack of driving ability.

dennisw1:
…who happen to be driving gritters tonight.

Must be the most thankless jobs in the transport industry. I mean how many other jobs do you have people going on national and local TV, radio and print on a daily basis slagging them off.

Many times i’ve followed a gritter on a stretch of road, only to hear an hour or so later someone moaning about the same stretch of road not being gritted.

Or people moaning that because 3ft of snow fell in the last 20min they cant get their car out.

Another one is people moaning that it’s taken ages to get a two wheel drive lorry with a massive plough on the front along a road which they got their Range-Rover stuck on.

They’re tacho excempt so can easily work an 11 hour night shift with little or no break.

So everyone spare a thought for the gritter drivers. They are, after all, fellow HGV drivers doing a job which trys to make up for the nations general lack of driving ability.

3ft of Snow :question: :open_mouth: 3mm brings the country to a stand, gritted or not :unamused: :confused:

exactly!

I’m little curious about what do you refer to when you say “road being gritted”? Is road being cleared from snow with plough or is it grit/sand they throw on the road or is it salt or is it combination from some of these?

Kyrbo:
I’m little curious about what do you refer to when you say “road being gritted”? Is road being cleared from snow with plough or is it grit/sand they throw on the road or is it salt or is it combination from some of these?

The last part of your question is the answer Kyrbo. Over here in the UK we use a mixture of grit/sand mixed with salt. It is very unusual for the temperature to drop below the level where salty water will freeze.

well it’s not actually grit/sand ‘mixed’ with salt it’s just rock salt, which is mined from the ground. It’s not refined like table salt so it does have some dirt in it, it’s basically salt though.

For the first part of your question, we rarely get enough snow to warrant using a plough in the south, Scotland/Northern England do more often, but it harldy compares with mainland europe.
The UK being an Island, is generally warmer than the continent by a couple of degrees.

And this year they have been experimenting with a mixture containing sugar.

Apparently quite effective, except that in areas with unfenced sheep, the sheep have been coming onto the roads to lick the sugar. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

It gives a whole new meaning to ‘Roadkill Stew’. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

so when the snow on the front of the wagon melts you find a sheep stuck in the grille :laughing: