Put a lid on this

Sorry know ive posted in the newbie forums too but looking for old hand advice too

Here goes

How Did You Do IT■■?

Hi all posted here before on advice for class 1, been on class 2 for 8 years

Well started my training yesterday (Test saturday :open_mouth: )

Yesterday general driving went well with a bit of MSM to polish up on and natural hesitation in that (new to me) truck with a dangly bit

Today got reversing down to a T and feel quietly confident
Uncouple/ Recouple no problem Feel quietly confident

BUT :blush: General driving today took a down turn: stopped with trailer over box junction (too busy checking mirrors)

And, failed to notice a bus lane operational sign so i second guessed an stayed out of it :blush:

Kicking my ■■■ over these things as i know school boy errors

But and sorry for long post,

This MSM stuff, i seem to spend more time looking in my mirrors then i do looking ahead (dont seem safe to me) but yet i seem to be not quite there with it. I know ive been driving hgv for 8 years ( and dont profess to know it all either) But this test standard stuff is hard to get back into IE, the order we do things (Even tho we constantly know whats around us) Its hard to change my ways, any advice would be great as this seems to be my down fall
Or is it me being to harsh expecting to kick bad habits to early

And of course watch this space for saturday to see the result

Thanks in advance :wink:

Take it easy on yourself. Think positive. You know what you’re doing as you’ve done it before. What you’re worried about is causing you to question your own self belief.

You’ll find everything’s a lot easier once you relax. Take your time. Check and double check and then drive with confidence. You can do it.

Good luck for Saturday!

Nah why don’t you keep your bad habits, I’m sure the ministry could use the extra money on your retest :smiley::grin::grin:
Seriously kisten to your instructor they expect bad drives they know your abilities, relax and enjoy it. Good luck for saturday

Turn the radio up

Usersteve, Stop there mate. MSM routine should be taught in full, Mirror, Signal, Postion,Speed, Look.
All mistakes recorded by the DSA examiners fall within this simple routine apart from control mistakes and mistakes overtaking.
MSPSL is how you deal with every fixed hazard that causes you to change speed or postion in the road.
MPSL-MSM is the routine used for overtaking moving hazards. If you don’t understand this basic stuff that we teach 17 years car drivers you are not going to pass your test. Remember this routine is not just for passing a driving test it’s part of your everyday driving. You don’t need to pay a driving instructor to teach you this basic stuff read it in the DSA car books priced about £13.

miketdt:
Usersteve, Stop there mate. MSM routine should be taught in full, Mirror, Signal, Postion,Speed, Look.
All mistakes recorded by the DSA examiners fall within this simple routine apart from control mistakes and mistakes overtaking.
MSPSL is how you deal with every fixed hazard that causes you to change speed or postion in the road.
MPSL-MSM is the routine used for overtaking moving hazards. If you don’t understand this basic stuff that we teach 17 years car drivers you are not going to pass your test. Remember this routine is not just for passing a driving test it’s part of your everyday driving. You don’t need to pay a driving instructor to teach you this basic stuff read it in the DSA car books priced about £13.

Cheers i do understand the basics or i wouldnt of passed my car test and class 2 test , all i was saying is its easy to forget the routine your expected to do it or timely fashion ( or to better put it) the way we do it after many years, maybe not text book ( many experienced drivers would struggle to test standard on this point) ive got a good 8 years experience behind me and feel this bit is hard to re-adjust to thats all, was after advice not patronising :unamused:

sorry if that sounded harsh but MSPL is what i use every second of driving (or to the pen pushers these days ,Risk Assessing) is paramount . My own clean track record can only prove that.

usersteve:
Cheers i do understand the basics or i wouldnt of passed my car test and class 2 test , all i was saying is its easy to forget the routine your expected to do it or timely fashion ( or to better put it) the way we do it after many years, maybe not text book ( many experienced drivers would struggle to test standard on this point) ive got a good 8 years of never having had my driving looked at and accumulating bad habits I didn’t realise I had behind me and feel this bit is hard to re-adjust to thats all, was after advice not patronising :unamused:

Fixed that for you Steve. :smiley: