Purpose built TV or Ipad

Hello guys, just wondering what’s best. A portable tv or an iPad. Obvsiouly I think the TV is a cheaper option…. Has anyone had any experience in portable TVs with a portable Ariel?

Also I have a little Samsung TV (size of a computer screen) so if I get an inverter and a portable Ariel will this do the trick.

Or is the iPad the obvious and easier option

TruckerRossy:
Hello guys, just wondering what’s best. A portable tv or an iPad. Obvsiouly I think the TV is a cheaper option…. Has anyone had any experience in portable TVs with a portable Ariel?

Also I have a little Samsung TV (size of a computer screen) so if I get an inverter and a portable Ariel will this do the trick.

Or is the iPad the obvious and easier option

I’ve had a tv for as long as I remember, but just recently I’ve bought a tablet after pressure from a mate. :smiley:
I find it a much better option,.and it does away with struggling with an aerial to get a decent picture.

Seconded. Decent tablet and unlimited data on mobile phone. Use mobile phone as hotspot to connect tablet to and use the streaming apps of the various TV channels such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc and Sky Go if you’re on Sky.

Thirded.
Plus any “portable TV” is likely to be made for a smaller market share and likely is not as good value as a TV made for the domestic market.
(That applies even more to microwaves etc by the by)

Tablet is better more portable.
And these days screen size on some is is massive. Plus can watch catch up TV apps and play games if nothing on.
And if have skiy go etc can use that.

If use an aerial I used drive a flatbed for years place fitted a pole for me to attach an aerial onto when parked up used carry full size TV aeriel around when parked up just shove in ontoo and had an app on my phone which then told you which way to point it. And it worked for me

Also with a tablet you can download a few movies for the occasions where you end up parked up with a poor signal. I have an amazon hd 10 tablet black friday deal around £100, it does the job, you can side load google play store onto it then you can download all the same apps that you can use on an android using the info from the website ‘‘android police’’. It is possible to download the popular apps like iplayer and itv hub without doing this, but amazon store doesnt support virgin tv go thats why i sideloaded playstore so i could use virgin.

Tablet ,

I picked up a 22" monitor cheap off amazon, hooked up to my laptop via hdmi cable and used my phone as a personal hotspot. Had a decent inverter so wasnt worried about powering it all.

Tablet…

Easy to carry and you can download films/shows and watch them without Internet…

Although I use my phone, some places I deliver don’t allow phones, tablets or camera’s onsite and I can easily hide my phone… :wink:

Fuzrat:
I picked up a 22" monitor cheap off amazon, hooked up to my laptop via hdmi cable and used my phone as a personal hotspot. Had a decent inverter so wasnt worried about powering it all.

Would a phone to hdmi cable mean that you didn’t even need your laptop?

Something like this, depending on your phone. amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-s … th=1&psc=1

Tablet. You’d look a right ■■■■ in the RDC waiting room with a portable telly perched on your knees.

the maoster:
Tablet. You’d look a right ■■■■ in the RDC waiting room with a portable telly perched on your knees.

I do removals so won’t have that problem. Maybe tablet is way forward because when I go out into Europe the tv Ariel won’t work no?

edd1974:
Tablet is better more portable.
And these days screen size on some is is massive. Plus can watch catch up TV apps and :smiley: :smiley:play games if nothing on.
And if have skiy go etc can use that.

If use an aerial I used drive a flatbed for years place fitted a pole for me to attach an aerial onto when parked up used carry full size TV aeriel around when parked up just shove in ontoo and had an app on my phone which then told you which way to point it. And it worked for me

:laughing: Amazing! Must have got signal everywhere haha.

Thing is I got the little tv already for free. So was just thinking get an inverter and Ariel for now.

Maybe get a tablet in the new year see if there any deals in January.

Tv with an Ariel won’t work in Europe will it?

TruckerRossy:

It will work perfectly. Great for learning the local lingo!

Still deals about for Cyber Monday all this week (like NOW15 15% off eBay)

> TruckerRossy:
> Tv with an Aerial won’t work in Europe will it?

It’s not a Brexit thing, they have TVs that use Aerials in Europe & almost everywhere in the World, since even before Carryfast got his broom from the council.

TruckerRossy:
Thing is I got the little tv already for free. So was just thinking get an inverter and Ariel for now.

If you have a TV has it got Freeview built in…if not your need to buy a Freeview box to go with it.
Would imagine TV and aeriel would.work in Europe or anyware else of the world if honest.
But only get channels local to country your in

edd1974:

TruckerRossy:

If you have a TV has it got Freeview built in…if not your need to buy a Freeview box to go with it.
Would imagine TV and aeriel would.work in Europe or anyware else of the world if honest.
But only get channels local to country your in

There is very limited if any analogue TV in Europe, as in the UK its been superceded by digital. In the UK digital TV works with a Freeview decoder, either built in, or a separate box. Same in other countries, youll need get their signal, but need a decoder for each country.
UK satellite TV (FreeSat) which needs a dish, and decoder box is available over much of Europe, but you`ll need 80cm dish and need to set it up everytime you use it.

Open to correction on the above, but I`ll stand by my first post: Tablet.

Since Eu wasnt mentioned in the first post, Ill add that when going out of the UK download content free in the UK and/or get a good roaming data deal. Either a tablet with sim-slot (more expensive) or tie it up to your phone via private hot-spot. Holida.y hotels etc often have free wi-fi, and truck parks sometimes do, but not everywhere by a long way.
Open to correction on the best way to do that too.

I’ll just add that if you’re outside of the UK, you can’t use some (maybe all) of the UK based catch-up services, like BBC i-player.

LazyDriver:
I’ll just add that if you’re outside of the UK, you can’t use some (maybe all) of the UK based catch-up services, like BBC i-player.

… unless you have a VPN or download first and then don’t connect to the internet once you get abroad.