Pulling supermarket trailers

Is the clue not in beeing owner DRIVER? If the wage you’d pay to a driver you pay to yourself… why is it yur cost? Should the cost not be only tax and NI cont?

does anyone no what asda pay as theyve opened a new distribution centre not to far away from us …bout the only thing been built round here and all

£350 day rate last crimbo I think, from Lutterworth anyway.

Has anyone done this work recently? It’s a four month wait for your money too isn’t it?

are you having a laugh 4 months for payments youve got to be kidding

Sorry if this has already been said, but after two pages of the same thing being said over and over… :wink: I got bored and wanted to make a point.

I know it’s not exactly the same, but our depot of NobbyDobbys is run like a small haulier with a decent contract. So the cost of the vehicles, maintenance and trailers is factored into the main contract which is almost exclusively night work. Would it not then make sense for the operator to put a driver in at a ton a day, plus £150 in diesel to do traction for a supermarket. If they are getting in 320, thats what, £50 profit?

I base that on increased tyre wear, depreciation and maintenance. Otherwise there is £70 profit. Its not much but over a year, based on a five day week and fifty weeks in the year, that would work out at £17500. Run that over 4 years and you have a brand new Renault, bought and paid for.

The margins are small, but it beats the hell out of having a vehicle sat there doing bugger all.

Hooray well done Mr Smith someone who talks sense - i don’t do supermarket work full time but Christmas and easter are bookings on average I should do between £ 320 and £ 370 a shift only twice this year have I done more than 400k in a night and i don’t do 120 days or even 90 and ive never had a payment missed as i say every little helps :smiley:

Blair International/McBurney have a few trucks “hired in” unit only to Tesco NI, they are on approx £40/hour with min 10hour shift.
Not bad £400/shift and maybe use max 80L of diesel. :sunglasses:
Right bit of time trucks parked up and loading/tipping burning no Go Go juice :exclamation: :exclamation:

Blair subs his three hired in units/night out to Bell International@ £30/hour, the drivers take home net of tax £80/shift but they do a FULL 10hour shift each time 5/6 shifts week. :wink:

So you can double shift a tractor (10 Hours - 400 kms) and make money

i,m only new on this sight and to be honest only been trucking part time for a 18 months. its a great site this and i,m stunned at what the prices you get paid are if your an owner driver. ive been brought up with trucks since i was born as my father was a trucker.its something ive always wanted to do but i ended up serving my time as a joiner and over the 27 years after doing my time i now own a conservatory/building company ( only 4 employees).i do earn great money and have a nice lifestyle,but !!! ive always fancied my own truck because of my nlove for them. in fact id sell 1 of my cars to buy 1 if i could make decent money. now what ive been reading has shocked me… but i still have the erge to do it. AM I MAD ■■?

bigrod1608:
i,m only new on this sight and to be honest only been trucking part time for a 18 months. its a great site this and i,m stunned at what the prices you get paid are if your an owner driver. ive been brought up with trucks since i was born as my father was a trucker.its something ive always wanted to do but i ended up serving my time as a joiner and over the 27 years after doing my time i now own a conservatory/building company ( only 4 employees).i do earn great money and have a nice lifestyle,but !!! ive always fancied my own truck because of my nlove for them. in fact id sell 1 of my cars to buy 1 if i could make decent money. now what ive been reading has shocked me… but i still have the erge to do it. AM I MAD ■■?

Absolutely raving bonkers!!

What sort of car would you be getting rid of? i,d swap a TGA for a range rover :laughing:

porsche

chaversdad:

bigrod1608:

Absolutely raving bonkers!!

What sort of car would you be getting rid of? i,d swap a TGA for a range rover :laughing:

if its a 911 i might think about it :laughing:

white cayenne techart special thing, had a 911 turbo but sold it for a motorhome !!!

bigrod1608:

Do you want to become a millionaire in the trucking game :question:

Then stick TWO million £ in your new trucking business account and “fill your boots” :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Big Truck:

bigrod1608:

Then stick TWO million £ in your new trucking business account and “fill your boots” :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

no i dont and doubt any 1 would be in the trucking game, its the joy with driving trucks thats all its about,been watching the LUKE VERNON videos in his volvo 750, id love to do his job to me he,s got the best job in the world…

bigrod1608:

Big Truck:

bigrod1608:

no i dont and doubt any 1 would be in the trucking game, its the joy with driving trucks thats all its about,been watching the LUKE VERNON videos in his volvo 750, id love to do his job to me he,s got the best job in the world…

Take 8months off and go here then :wink: :
frederickharvesting.com/index.html

I used to have three units working for Tesco in Welham Green on night and day shifts, they were all new lorries (I bought one every 6 months and replaced them at 3yrs old) my drivers were on 500 quid a week after stoppages and I earned good money from it. The rate was 375 quid a shift. On paper it doesn’t seem to be a fortune, but on paper and real life often have no relation, quite often it works the other way, on paper you can earn money, yet in real life you don’t, but in this case it worked the other way around :sunglasses:

My yard was in Barking, Essex, so the lorry would go up to Welham Green to start the shift (the first day was the only time this was dead mileage) then it would do a local run, between 10 and 50 miles, then return to Tesco and get the second trailer which would be for a store withing ten miles or so of my yard, then after unloading there the driver would return to the yard and the night man would come in and return that trailer to Tesco, do a local run, which was usually a Central London store, return to Tesco and get his last run, which would be to a store withing ten miles of the yard, deliver and return the lorry to the yard where the day man would take over and repeat the previous day’s exercise.

The lorries did less than 400kms a day/night and pulled in 750quid a day 6 days/nights a week, apart from the times I managed to get two loads in one trailer on a run over the water, I never earned as much out of lorries as when I was doing the supermarket work, of course it all ended when the green machine came in and carved the job up, that’s when I did the sensible thing and sold up rather than try to scratch a living on the boxes (been there, done that and ended up skint) but that’s life :cry:

Bet you could teach us a thing or two! :wink:

The thing is Vern, there are no hard & fast rules, plenty of people have started up because they want a fancy motor with murals and lights all over it and found that they make good businesmen and have become quite successful, others have gone over everything with a fine toothed comb and had the World’s best busines plan, with good paying work coming out of their ears and made a proper balls up of it :open_mouth:

Even container haulage for one of the big boys can make money if it all works out right, go a year with no breakdowns and nice light loads, if it all goes right at the docks and at deliveries/collections and you could make a good living at 1:30 per mile. You could also get busy on the phone and speak to a load of exporters and reload the box you tip for one of the big boys, you get your 1:30 per mile round trip, then you get paid whatever rate you negotiate for the backhaul to the dock, doing this can double the rate and you will definitely earn well from it.

There are other ways to earn money too, I worked for a Department Store, delivering to their northern stores from their base in the Croydon area, the rates were pretty good, I used to backload the trailers back to Supermarket RDCs from a drinks company in Yorkshire through another haulier, the rates weren’t great coming back, but they added to the bottom line, but I made as much profit from hiring the Department Store trailers to use as storage than I ever did from charging them for transport and I used to rent the trailers from TIP myself and just add a bit on top, but when you factor in the transport for collecting the empty trailer and putting them on site and the weekly charges for the trailers, it all added up to a nice few quid for doing not a lot.

That’s the way I see it, you have to go over and above to earn a good living, just picking up the phone once or twice a day to see what some office clerk has deemed fit to give you to do the next day isn’t going to make you much more money than you could earn as an employee, so I don’t see the point myself, if I’m not going to earn significantly more, I may as well be an employee and drive around in a fancy lorry, doing the type of work I want to do (nothing too hard :sunglasses: ) whereas if I can earn significantly more, then I’ll drive any old crap and do pretty much any kind of work, a nice house, four or five holidays a year and a decent car on the drive will more than make up for it :wink: