Pulled by the boys in blue!

Hi all.

I was pulled by the boys today, M5 southbound, just before j21, what was wrong?

I was doing 60mph, down the hill! Not 61 or above but 60 :open_mouth: (Yes, I was over-running limiter, but holding it at 60 )

I commented that the speed limit was 60mph for HGV’s, he replied ‘you are limited to 56mph’. I tried the ‘don’t you have to allow for 10% inaccuracy?’

He replied, no you are using a calibrated tacho.

In the end it was a warning.

Any views on this? :question: :question:

in a time of increasing drug crime/ burglaries/ violent crime etc going through the roof… OBVIOUSLY your public enemy number 1 for exceeding (or not actually!) the speed limit in a what i presume to be modern, well equiped vehicle… was the motorway near a primary school? were there children and mothers with prams waiting behind the bridge parapets to rush out in front of you when you werent looking? it makes my blood boil to see a PUBLIC service (we pay for them!!) being used so pettily. i know your in a no win situation, but i would have had to seriously bite my tongue if it was me :imp: . rant over… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ditto.

Nuff said I think. They are taking the proverbial! :imp:

It just dont figure… The speed limit is 60… so if you can coast down a hil, and do sixty, what is the problem??..
The limiter is there to stop you at 56mph under power, but is there anything in any law that says that you cant roll up to 60■■? :confused: :confused: :confused:

And I bet while they were pulling you over Cornish, some poor old man or lady was robbed and battered black and blue… but as we see time and time again… they go for the Easy Targets… :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

The speed limit for trucks on the motorway is 60, you were doing 60 so you weren’t breaking the law and it’s just further proof the the people who are supposed to enforce the law need some serious training as many of them haven’t got a clue.

If that had been me today I think I would likely have ended up being arrested because I know what my reaction to him would have been.

And another thing. While they were pulling you for being, in their eyes, 4mph over the limit how many cars were passing at 80+ mph? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The more I think about it, the more miffed I am, I suppose at the time, I just followed the norm & kept stum :confused: Don’t want to upset them :unamused:

I had the usual tacho checks - all ok, vehicle checks - all ok :smiley:

BUT what aggrevated me more than anything, was the 15-20mins wasted :smiling_imp:

I’m just interested in your views, on whether I was in the wrong or not?

I don’t think it would have gone to court because you never brioke the law, speed limiters can break.

Okay, I know I ahvent started driving ye… But IMHO

You did Nothing wrong!!!

And they prob knew that too… :imp: :imp:

So what do you do, hold your foot on the brakes so they get HOT & catch fire or fade on you. We have our tacho’s checked & I’m sick to death of having to sign the dam sheet for overspeeding. The trouble is we are the only group of motorists that have something to record our every move so we are a sitting target.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

One knows my feelings on the Plod already after Solihull, but like Neil, I would also have been arrested I reckon. I would have argued the point til I was blue in the face and my voice had gone up a good few octaves :imp:

They’re [zb][zb] the lot of them :angry:

Just to relieve my anger (and your own if you want to :smiley: ) please write a strongly worded letter to the chief plod at their station about it, detailing the reasons why they considered it necessary to pull you, point out the law and don’t forget time wasted plus what about the Old Dear being mugged in the middle of the nearest town centre etc. Oh any don’t forget to copy your letter here too :slight_smile:

[ZB] they are :angry:

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

The best thing to do is smile sweetly and don’t bother to argue, the quicker you can get rid of them the less chance they have to find something that is actually wrong and get a proper pull out of you. If they decide to do you then you can have your day in court and make them look like **** in public. Actually I’ve found the best way to deal with most jumped up misinformed jerks is to smile, nod. You’re at work what the point of letting these people stress you out, that’s what families are for. :smiley:

In the past I have had to ‘educate’ a couple of plods as to the true speed limit of HGVs on the motorway as they were convinced it was 56 mph!!! Although I am better qualified than them (they weren’t traffic officers) they took some persuading untill one of their own spoke up.
You were doing nothing wrong and if it had been me I would have pressed my case and had a day in Court if necessary.
By the way I am a member of the IAM and RoSPA, Home Office approved to drive fire appliances, had a double decker bus on a skidpan and passed various police advanced and awareness courses and I can even (and do) ride a motorbike. I don’t have a car :open_mouth: :confused:

regards

John

highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103

I think this clears things up…

Well Done Ironblood… :wink:
There it is, in plain Red and White!!, (okay, not black and white, but ‘Same meat, different gravy’)…

That just about sums it up… the Police officers would have no choice but to back down and admit they are wrong, after seeing that… and thats just made me realise, I aint going no-where without a copy of the Highway Code in my bag… :wink:

I think your all being a bit hard on the boys in blue.I personally witnessed a very large scale operation in s.e.london recently where they captured (at considerable risk to themselves) a highly dangerous…non-seat belt wearer :confused: An instant fine of £30 was levied on the miscreant , who had the last laugh as I mugged a pensioner on the way home to pay for it knowing the chances of being captured were 0!