Public Service Announcement: Night drivers - Scotch Corner

For the attention of anyone who uses Scotch Corner/A1 Southbound on nights.

If you’re one of us lot who use the A168/A167 shortcut (Thirsk-Northallerton-Darlington) or A19/A66 route to Scotch Corner when the A1 is closed from J50/51 to A66 in either direction then from Thursday you’re going to need to find another route.

The A66/A66M is going to be closed from J57(A1M) to Blands Corner overnight in both directions from Thursday 12th for 3 weeks.

Google Maps shows its 10 minutes quicker going up the A19 to Middlesborough and picking up the A66 there then taking the A167 to J59 than it is going through the middle of Darlington and using the A68 to get to J58 or round the A66 outer ring to pickup the A68.

The fastest route adds 10 minutes onto what it already takes us to do the alternate so adds in total 25 minutes over what it normally takes to go from J49 straight through to Scotch when the A1 is open.

I for one am amazed by how quiet the 168/167 route is, nobody uses their heads any more and instead, blindly follow the diversion signs which takes them MILES out of the way.

SEDriver:
I for one am amazed by how quiet the 168/167 route is, nobody uses their heads any more and instead, blindly follow the diversion signs which takes them MILES out of the way.

I collected a Johnny Foreigner wanting to head southbound at Scotch last night. Shot off up the A1M with him following and when we got to the A66M slip went mental with my left indicator and he got the idea and followed. I slowed down for him at the roundabout and did the same there but he saw the diversion signs and followed them…back to Scotch Corner. At least I tried…

Must admit its got a lot quieter on that route of late but going A66 all the way out to the A19 only adds another 10 minutes so maybe some think they’d rather go dual carriageway than go down windy A roads. Going signed diversion route adds 50 minutes, the A167/A168 route only adds 15-20 depending on how well you know it. Other than that last stretch from Croft to Darlington I can do almost every bend barring four between Thirsk and Northallerton at 50MPH with 27 tonnes of chipboard on and not have it move so its not all that bad.