Public liabilty insurance

a quicky…just set up my limited company…same as many of u…but awaitng my business account from Abbey…(slow buggers)…only problem i’ve come across now…is according to one of my agencies…(whom i must say i enjoy working for…and at present have had me running on for a few weeks in this spot on job…)…i need public liabilty insurance…■■?

My question is…do i really need it■■?..(the other agencies say they don’t require it…i’m covered as if i was working P.A.Y.E)…and if i do…does anyone know where i can get good cover at a good price…What do i really need it for…

things are getting silly now…phoned around a few insurance brokers…most don’t do it…but those whom do…gave a quote of 250-300 quid…some say i might also need employment liability for my mother as company secretary…which is bumming the price right up…HELP :frowning:

You should be covered by the Public Liability Insurance at the customer you drive for. There are quite a few online brokers who are cheap although you’re only going to save £50-ish.

As for employment liability, I wouldn’t bother. I take it she is simply named as a Company Secretary on your Ltd company but doesn’t actually perform any tasks?

Darn i apologies…there was a misunderstanding with the agency…they were suggesting i should get the insurance…if i was going to work for any company direct…they still cover ltd company drivers…crazy bunch they r…sorry

When saying so…the insurance companies…insisted on me taking out employer liability insurance for my mum…even though…she ain’t doing nowt…on the grounds that at some point she may take something out of the company…in the form of employment…

Pain in the bum…

SuperSmiley:
but awaitng my business account from Abbey

You’ll be waiting a long long time. I posted our application on the 2nd of Jan and it took until the 27th of Feb before we had the account number.

Paul

Quote from this Government website about Employer’s Liability Insurance.

If your business is not a limited company, and you are the only employee or you only employ close family members, you do not need compulsory employers’ liability insurance. Since February 2005, limited companies with only one employee, where that employee also owns 50 per cent or more of the issued share capital in the company, have also been exempt from compulsory EL insurance.

If you weren’t a Ltd. company the close family thing would apply, but as a limited company it doesn’t seem to.

Useful pdf booklet here for more info.

as a Ltd Company you are required by law to have Employers liability insurance.

What sort of company have you set up & for what purpose maybe i can help maybe i cant!!

UnionJack:
as a Ltd Company you are required by law to have Employers liability insurance.

Not always, if there is only one employee and that person owns at least 50% of the share capital then you don’t need it.

as then they’re not an employee, they’re a shareholder ie. self employed.

Unionjack…the company is only for my agency HGV driving…so it’s just me and mum as secretary.but as i said she don’t do nowt…i do all the book keeping myself…and will be passing on to my accountants at the end of the year…its just a way for me to save on tax…basically like everyone else…hopefully in years to come…i may go into a proper business for myself…so this will be a bit of practice for me…but i’m very happy where i am at present…any spare info…would be most apreciated though

God knows why your using a Ltd Company with all the cost, thats involved with owning & running a Ltd company just to be a driver.

You Need to try Crestpay for drivers

Contact them through the internet, sign up, once you have been accepted you will be covered by, Employers & Public Liabilities Insurance, Drivers Negligence Insurance, entitled to holiday pay, Statutory Sick Pay, etc

We started using Crestpay Last Year & our drivers prefer it to Maddison, Baxi, & Nova (nova is different anyway)

But give them a try before you go into anything as costly as Ltd Company

Unionjack

SuperSmiley:
Darn i apologies…there was a misunderstanding with the agency…they were suggesting i should get the insurance…if i was going to work for any company direct…

When I work for companies direct as a Self Employed Driver, I am covered by my clients Public Liability.

repton:

SuperSmiley:
but awaitng my business account from Abbey

You’ll be waiting a long long time. I posted our application on the 2nd of Jan and it took until the 27th of Feb before we had the account number.

Paul

I opened mine with Barclays. Was given the account details on the spot and had chequebook, debit card and online banking in a week.

UnionJack:
God knows why your using a Ltd Company with all the cost, thats involved with owning & running a Ltd company just to be a driver.

Because alot of agencies will only deal with you on a Ltd basis and not as a Sole Trader to cover themselves against people trying to fiddle tax.

Conor…Nova was originally suggested to me thats why i decided to go self employed…but i noticed there were one or two things u couldn’t claim for with Nova…e.g…£2 (Mr Brown has cut it down) a week for part use of the house as an office…£104 a year…pay my gas bill easy…(actually got one for 2 quid the other day)…but most importantly…Nova charge £25 a week…(reduced inaccordance with your wages)…which sums up to £1200…my accountant estimates his charges to £400-£600 max…+ doing the books myself is good practice…i may decided at a later date to start up a business of my own…

Help anyone know some companies I can get a quote from - drawn a blank so far