Public liability insurance

Hi, I’m an agency driver and I’m a LTD the agency I work for has said I need this insurance and also indemnity insurance. Does anyone know where I can get this and roughly how much is it?
Thanks

They’re talking bollox. Unless you are providing your own vehicle for hire and reward I’d be very wary. They are merely trying to absolve themselves of any financial implications if things go pear shaped.

The only time I’ve had PL is when I’ve run my own vehicles. Tell them to ■■■■ off and then find a decent co to work for.

the maoster:
They’re talking bollox. Unless you are providing your own vehicle for hire and reward I’d be very wary. They are merely trying to absolve themselves of any financial implications if things go pear shaped.

The only time I’ve had PL is when I’ve run my own vehicles. Tell them to ■■■■ off and then find a decent co to work for.

^^^this^^^

My thoughts exactly on this agency scam even if your working for the agency se your covered under there insurance as a subcontractor dispite what they say

I’m not so sure, if the OP is trading as a limited company then my understanding is that he needs public liability insurance?

Well I’ve been working for Stobarts for about 18 months and apparently it’s them that wants this not the agency, but who knows.

Unfortunately more agencies are cottoning on to this and it could mean the difference between working an not.

1 agency who was quite happy last year have now demanded this. Not a problem cos my public liability is included in the package I get through my accountants (Think)

even with driver negligence, my fees are less that what I was paying Nova

rautio:
Well I’ve been working for Stobarts for about 18 months and apparently it’s them that wants this not the agency, but who knows.

BS! :imp: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET IT! :open_mouth: stobrats will try to get out of it :unamused: as it’s costing them millions in damages! :sunglasses: unlucky :laughing: most of THEIR damage is for :smiley: THEIR TRUCKS/ screwdrivers running into the back of cars :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: as told by " THE DCPC EXPERTS AT WIDNES, AKA INCE, BIRD, HALLIBUT, and the other mike with the bald head! " :wink: I mean millions of £££££££’s! :smiley: just because you’re LIMITED! :sunglasses: it’s the agency you work for, tell them to ■■■■ spiders! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

The correct answer is what did you put in your Terms of Business that you got the agency to sign? You did get them to sign some? If not you’ve left yourself wide open to absolutely everything.

In mine I used to have that my clients had to provide all insurances and that I and any of my employees were not liable for any costs or losses arising from any actions we took.

And as a final point you don’t work for the agency. You work for your Ltd company. The agency is a client of your Ltd company.

Harry Monk:
I’m not so sure, if the OP is trading as a limited company then my understanding is that he needs public liability insurance?

The thing is though Harry he is a Ltd company, the key being “limited”, as in limited liability. So if it hits the fan he can simply fold the company and walk away unscathed. These shyster agencies have seen their profits squeezed and squeezed over the years and this PL bollox is just one more way for them to try to get out of their obligations. I’m sure the op didn’t want to be a ltd co, but I’m equally sure the agency “suggested” it would be in his interests to do so. They are wanting their cake iced on both sides.

To the op, whilst I appreciate your need to put food on the table this is just the thin end of the wedge, tell them no and sit back and wait, they’ll bend to you eventually, and trust me, they have their own PL insurance or else Stobbies et al wouldn’t touch them with a bargepole, and despite any umbrella, nova, ltd co scam you DO work for the agency (any court in the land would agree with this) so it is their obligation to provide PL insurance to cover their business.

I’m LTD and as I’m the director and have no employees don’t need any insurance…

Companys you do the work for have insurance as do the agencies.

Had a little bump a couple weeks ago, missed the pin and reversed a brand new Volvo at full throttle into the trailer…

Agency phoned me asking if I was insured and the reply was no. That was the end of that.

Forget the request and get on with the driving.

My agency never bothered for last 9 years…

Now i got some. £85 a year less £20 cash back :smiley:

£1,000,000 cover

one example i was given
you leave your work bag on ground, some one trips and seriously hurts them selves??
Or you black out and crash into a school?

(did you see what i did there? :wink:)

That is why you are insured on the companies insurance youare working for

And yes im still waiting for a call back after asking an agent about this

CETA
0845 4583068
£56.18

but I have not renewed it because on re-reading the policy, and speaking to them, it seems the only thing they appear to cover is an event where I have unloaded but before recipient has taken possession of the load, and a member of the public trips over it.

I have not yet done it myself, but I think it would be reasonable to ask to see a copy of the policy of the company for whom you are driving. I posted a query here last month asking if anyone had made a successful claim on their PI policy. There were no replies.

I may be missing the point ,but by the time you set up a company,then get all the insurances…yer only need to supply the truck and the fuel

Conor:
The correct answer is you don’t work for the agency. You work for your Ltd company. The agency is a client of your Ltd company.

FTFY
Too many S/E ltd co agency drivers think that they are employed by the agency

118steve:
Agency phoned me asking if I was insured and the reply was no. That was the end of that.

IF any S/E agency driver does have insurance, do NOT tell the agency you have it, unless you absolutely need to.
Deny any knowledge of any insurance that the agency say you must have, as previously stated it isn`t necessary, but maybe having it might cover your back in a worse case scenario IF the brown stuff hits the fan.

andy187:
one example i was given
you leave your work bag on ground, some one trips and seriously hurts them selves??

The employers/public liability of the company your working at covers that.

Their vehicle insurance covers that.

andy187:
My agency never bothered for last 9 years…

Now i got some. £85 a year less £20 cash back :smiley:

£1,000,000 cover

one example i was given

(did you see what i did there? :wink:)

The first example is correct, the second example is wrong because a) Public Liability almost always excludes Motor Accidents as these are covered by vehicle Insurance b) in most cases if you blacked out at the wheel and crashed into a school then neither you or the vehicle owner would be liable as it would be deemed an an unavoidable accident with no negligence providing you had no history of black outs and were taking any medication you were prescribed