Public liability insurance,Ltd company?

If I’m using my limited company to work through a agency do i need public liability insurance?

newboy23:
If I’m using my limited company to work through a agency do i need public liability insurance?

You say ’ limited company’ and ‘agency’. Would I be right in thinking you are CPC annex A National certificate acting as tm for somebody else?

In transport, you cannot be a ‘bi proxi’ ( part time ) transport manager.

There is ’ vicarious liability’

Give some more details… I’m putting the tin hat on…

Legal flacksters…

I bet he is just driving…until the new rules start in April 16 when it all changes and the brown stuff hits the fan !
Just read the first draft that hmrc have released, it will bring an end to the loophole for good. And some big bills at the end of the year for those they deem to in reality to be employees.( agencies will will for run cover and hide behind better solicitors )

Oh Yes you do need insurance .
Unless you are really brave or just plain crazy.

Ive registered with a few agencies and none have asked for insurance till now,what loophole is that ?

3 wheeler:
I bet he is just driving…until the new rules start in April 16 when it all changes and the brown stuff hits the fan !
Just read the first draft that hmrc have released,

Got a link?

newboy23:
Ive registered with a few agencies and none have asked for insurance till now,what loophole is that ?

Getting people to sign up with them as self employed/Ltd/Umbrella so they can get out of paying employers NI.

Link please 3 wheeler

From what I understand the answer is no. You drive on the hiring company,s insurance for the vehicle, and you do not own the goods therefore its the companies responsibility. As far as i,m aware you should also be covered by the hiring company for any accidents and the agency. If the agency is pushing for it I would go and find another one as they are just trying to pass their responsibility on to you.
Public liability being if you delivered to a shop and left a pallet on the street and somebody walked into it or if it fell off onto a member of the public. If your delivering to yards depots etc where the public don’t have access then no problem.
Im not 100% on this but this is how i understand it to be. Ive been Ltd for two years now and nobody has asked to see any insurance, I take most of mine through agency but do private work as well.

newboy23:

The simple answer is NO
Because I doubt the agency will increase pay rates to reflect the extra cost to you either.
As previously stated, any agency who insist you have PLI is worth walking away from.
By its very nature having your own Ltd Co (limited liability) means you can fold & walk away from your company.

However… You could take out PLI, (maybe £5M+) and if you do I seriously suggest you don’t tell anyone, not even your mate whom you work with (because they’ll never keep their mouth shut). Because if anyone (hauliers & agys) finds out you have PLI they are going to try and pass the buck and seriously shaft you, to save their costs. But IF the brown stuff hits the fan having undisclosed/hidden PLI may save you financially.

For what it costs i have it, surely as ltd, you are an employer, therefore you need employers liability insurance.

The record is stuck … :unamused:

New dvd player needed

Concretejim:
surely as ltd, you are an employer

You should actually be a director of a company with no employees, therefore not an employer

Concretejim:
therefore you need employers liability insurance.

See above …With no employees you won’t need ELI

Unless you have a subcontractor work for you ie if you send anyone in to cover a shift on your behalf

peirre:

Concretejim:

You should actually be a director of a company with no employees, therefore not an employer

Concretejim:

If you pay yourself a salary, even when your the director, you are classed by hmrc as an employer.

Concretejim:
If you pay yourself a salary, even when your the director, you are classed by hmrc as an employer.

Well don’t pay yourself a salary then, and only draw dividends then employees =0.
The salary model is a throwback to the umbrella schemes, which 9 times out of 10 is continued by those former umbrella scheme drivers who have started to control their own financial destiny. However that model still leaves you open to the new pension regulations, but if employees =0 then you can opt out of the new regulations

Can you draw dividends every week lol

newboy23:
Can you draw dividends every week lol

Yes… But they are dividends of potential end of year profit

I do not think that there is a statutory obligation to have public liability insurance.
If you are employing anyone, you must have employers liability insurance.
You can get cheap PLI on line but do study what the policy covers you for.
While you are working, you are (or should be) covered by the client’s policy. When the goods are delivered they become the customers liability. e.g. a badly stacked pallet collapses when it is lowered to the pavement and hurts a passer-by. So I don’t see a situation where you are not covered. However, it would be embarrassing if a scurrilous agency, client or customer had failed to take out proper insurance. If this was the case, and you were sued, You could say it was your Ltd Company’s liability and put the Ltd Company into liquidation

Concretejim:

peirre:

Concretejim:

Concretejim:

If you’re the sole director of a limited company you do not need Employers Liability (There’s an exemption in the legislation).

It would be pointless arranging EL Insurance for the OP if he’s the only Director / Employee as to be able to claim he needs to prove the accident was the companies fault when obviously it would in effect be his own fault.

There is a similar exemption to not needing EL cover if you only employ family members, however in most cases it would be worth arranging as then your family have cover if you make a mistake.