PSV - School Bus Exemption

HI All,

First of all, I’m asking a question relating to PSV driving. 45 seater coach to be precise.

What exemption do you claim from the EU drivers hours regulations in relation to driving a school bus. Its a set route with pre determined stops which ends on the school grounds each morning.

I know a school bus driver is exempt but what is the actual exemption called. Looking at the VOSA Psv drivers hours book, there isn’t an exemption for school run driver.

As I’m exempt EU rules, i automatically fall into GB Domestic rules. What record would i be expected to keep day to day. Especially if i then become in scope of EU rules after the school run.

Thank you in advance.

I doubt many school runs go over 50km from the start to the end of the school route so this exemption would most likely cover you.

Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers on regular
services with a route that does not exceed 50 km.

If you drive less than 4 hours each day in a week you would also be exempt from domestic regulations, however if you go onto EU regulations after the school run the driving under EU regulations counts towards the driving time on domestic regulations.

• Driving on domestic regulations count as other work for the EU regulations.
  • Driving in-scope of EU regulations counts as driving for the domestic regulations.
  • Both sets of regulations must be complied with on days that you come in-scope of both domestic and EU regulations.

As far as records are concerned, presumably you will complete a daily log sheet for the domestic PCV driving ec’t, when you then go onto EU regulations you would be on a tachograph, if you complete a log sheet for the domestic driving you would not enter that data into the tachograph when going onto EU regulations, if you use a type 2 digital tachograph on EU regulations the ? symbol should be used for the time between shifts.

After the school run would the work in-scope of EU regulations be PCV work or LGV work ?

Brilliant.

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.