PSV/PCV licences among HGV drivers

Had both licences for years although my LGV came first at a cost where as my PCV was a freeby.
Still drive both now and again and enjoy the variety of the different type of work.

Someone said you should get a coach licence when you pass C+E…Do not agree…completely different animals.
Yes some drivers could adapt but I have seen plenty artic drivers struggle in a coach!

I have Provisional D on my licence and I hope I will never need to turn it into a Pass.

merc0447:
You should get a bus license as a matter of course once you pass c+e, anything just to get more money out you.

You think that’s bad, when I passed my PCV licence, in a 40’ coach with a ‘crash box’ I might add, I still couldn’t drive a 7.5t van :unamused:

In the old days bell or not if the passenger/s was not at the door waiting to get off,
I wouldnt stop, likewise at a bus stop if a passenger didnt put their hand up to stop the bus
I drove past them. The job is what you make it. I loved it, never as good as Haulage though. :sunglasses:

Passed my D in a manual coach after taking my CE 2 years ago.

Did circuits of Weston Super Mare and loved it.

Difference of opinion with the management.

But I’d go back on if lorry work was not an option and I could take the littlun :slight_smile:

albion1971:
Someone said you should get a coach licence when you pass C+E…Do not agree…completely different animals.
Yes some drivers could adapt but I have seen plenty artic drivers struggle in a coach!

I did it the other way round, came out of a service bus thinking class 2 would be a doddle, boy was I wrong…:laughing:

Pimpdaddy:

albion1971:

I did it the other way round, came out of a service bus thinking class 2 would be a doddle, boy was I wrong…:laughing:

How were you wrong? I envisage service bus as probably the least rewarding driving job there is

Seriously considering going back to the coaches, can’t get onto days and India (seriously) can’t get the wages right…

get a nice new coach and its nice
ie we have some Volvo B11R’s with a I shift box nice to drive
its a bit longer then a rigid lorry
the tri axle van hool astromega is dam nice to drive its massive

Tipper Tom:
How were you wrong? I envisage service bus as probably the least rewarding driving job there is

I think it’s a zb job, that’s why I left, they also wanted shot of me because I was coming up to 2yrs service(pay rise).

I was wrong because I thought the vehicles were pretty much the same so all I had to learn was the gears but it was a different kettle of fish in the hot seat, I failed my class 2 1st attempt do had to pay for more lessons etc…

Way back in the day when the milk was job and finish 4.5 hours was my max, the local garage which did our servicing had a fleet of coaches one day the boss said to me you have a lot of spare time do you fancy driving for me? he then allowed me to use one of his older coaches to practise and sit my test I then drove afternoons and occasional weekends.
On the plus side when I got my DCPC card the bus part was on it

I passed my Class 1 HGV in early 1971 and D/D PSV in 1979, working mainly buses and coaches since then, with agency wagon driving when legal (holidays, long weekends etc) to keep the wolf from the door. I retired 2 years ago and, apart from a week driving on park and ride buses at Weymouth for the Olympics, I haven’t driven either a bus or wagon since, and have no wish to do so ever again! Retired and happy, although the pay is crap the hours suit me down to the ground. I will admit to missing going up the road sometimes, but then I take my rose coloured glasses off and return to reality. You can’t beat getting up at the crack of noon instead of the crack of dawn!!

Not an HGV driver but a casual PCV driver - haven’t driven one since September though ! Would like to try HGV work but seems difficult to get into with a high cost of obtaining the licence.

Rhythm Thief:
No PCV for me. Never been interested … it was trucks that floated my boat when I was still in my pushchair, and it still is.

So we can gather not only has this poster no ambition, yet even he can fall foul of basic grammar. Although he will relish if another lorry driver makes a spelling mistake :unamused:

Get back in your pushchair!