Provisional Help

Hi, I’m sure this question has definitely already been asked, I’m just looking for the best route for me to take personally.

I have already sent off for my provisional and I have had it sent back because stupidly, I didn’t include my drivers licence. It was my understanding that I didn’t need to… for some reason. Anyway, I have my forms ready to send off, along with my license.

It is my understanding that my best bet is to wait until the 15th to send off my provisional again as this will entitle me the C+E provisional and not just the C, is that correct?

Once I have my provisional back I am pretty much ready to get myself booked in for the theory and hopefully get a date for the practical.

Thanks in advance, I’m finding it such a confusing process

Yes you’re right, if you wait until 15 November you will get provisional C+E entitlement automatically, whether you choose to learn in a class C (rigid) or a class C+E (artic), that’s up to you.
If like me, you sent off for your provisional a few weeks ago, then you need to re-apply to the DVLA for it to be upgraded to a provisional C+E. This is meant to be happening via email though, rather than post, which is good.
As we’re so close to 15 November, I’d just hang fire a few days, then you’ll get the provisional entitlement for everything. Although to be honest, if you sent it off now, I can’t imagine it would be processed until after 15 Nov anyway, but it might be best to wait a few more days before posting, just to be sure.
I’m due to take my theory tests in a couple of weeks and I agree, to a total newbie, it is all a bit of a minefield! I think I’m wrapping my head around it all now though! [emoji23]
Hope this helps! [emoji2]

Gazza2911:
Yes you’re right, if you wait until 15 November you will get provisional C+E entitlement automatically, whether you choose to learn in a class C (rigid) or a class C+E (artic), that’s up to you.
If like me, you sent off for your provisional a few weeks ago, then you need to re-apply to the DVLA for it to be upgraded to a provisional C+E. This is meant to be happening via email though, rather than post, which is good.
As we’re so close to 15 November, I’d just hang fire a few days, then you’ll get the provisional entitlement for everything. Although to be honest, if you sent it off now, I can’t imagine it would be processed until after 15 Nov anyway, but it might be best to wait a few more days before posting, just to be sure.
I’m due to take my theory tests in a couple of weeks and I agree, to a total newbie, it is all a bit of a minefield! I think I’m wrapping my head around it all now though! [emoji23]
Hope this helps! [emoji2]

Cheers for your message, I’ll give it until maybe the 11th or 12th to send it off and hopefully all should be good. I have heard a lot of bad things about the wait times at the DVLA but they got my application back to me within 2 weeks which I was very happy with. I’m not far from Swansea but I can’t imagine that would make too much difference haha.

Good luck for your theory in a few weeks, I’m going to make a good start on practicing soon, I then plan on getting a starter pack from a training company which would include the theory test and practice among other things, is this the route you took or are you doing it on your own for now?

Thanks! [emoji3] Yeah I was surprised how quick they got my licence back (about 2 weeks also). For me personally, I’ve spoken to a local training company, to me in South Yorkshire, who arranged my medical and gave me some advice on what to do next. They’re a bit unsure themselves on how they’re going to handle the new ‘car to C+E’ system, as I’m sure quite a few companies are.

They advised me just to book my own theory tests (multiple choice, hazard perception and CPC case studies) through the government website and get back in touch with them to arrange the practical training once I had passed the theories. I was more than happy to do this, as it avoids paying any markup on the tests that some companies inevitably add on for the convenience of arranging it all for you.

I’ve been using lgvtheory.co.uk for revision and it seems pretty good, especially for the case studies and multiple choice. The real proof will be if I pass though! [emoji23] It is a bit thin on the ground on hazard perception videos though. I think it costs about £12, which I don’t think is too bad.

Good luck too, I’m sure others might have their own opinions, but this is how I’m tackling things so far! [emoji3]

Sorry but there’s some dodgy info on this thread.

DVLA have agreed to sit on applications received from 1st Nov and issue them from 15th with the CE provisional. However, it appears that a few are being sorted in this period - and that’s a mystery but I can understand it if it’s spent time with the medical dept.

If anyone currently holds a CAT C provisional but wants CE provisional, you have 2 options. You could pass a CAT C test which will then automatically generate CE provisional. Alternatively, email extraprovisional@dvla.gov.uk with your name, driver number and date of birth. You will receive an automated reply granting CE provisional. You MUST produce a copy of the request and the reply to prove entitlement eg for a training course or test. You cannot email before 15th November.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:

DVLA have agreed to sit on applications received from 1st Nov and issue them from 15th with the CE provisional. However, it appears that a few are being sorted in this period - and that’s a mystery but I can understand it if it’s spent time with the medical dept.

If anyone currently holds a CAT C provisional but wants CE provisional, you have 2 options. You could pass a CAT C test which will then automatically generate CE provisional. Alternatively, email extraprovisional@dvla.gov.uk with your name, driver number and date of birth. You will receive an automated reply granting CE provisional. You MUST produce a copy of the request and the reply to prove entitlement eg for a training course or test. You cannot email before 15th November.

Apologies, it wasn’t my intention to mislead, just share my own personal experiences so far. Thank you for clarifying any incorrect information I might have given, Pete. Cheers [emoji3]

It wasn’t intended as a dig and apologies to you if you thought it was.
I try to make sure info is correct so far as I can to avoid confusion.
Take care, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
It wasn’t intended as a dig and apologies to you if you thought it was.
I try to make sure info is correct so far as I can to avoid confusion.
Take care, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Pete, much appreciated, no offence taken! [emoji3]

Gazza2911:
Thanks! [emoji3] Yeah I was surprised how quick they got my licence back (about 2 weeks also). For me personally, I’ve spoken to a local training company, to me in South Yorkshire, who arranged my medical and gave me some advice on what to do next. They’re a bit unsure themselves on how they’re going to handle the new ‘car to C+E’ system, as I’m sure quite a few companies are.

They advised me just to book my own theory tests (multiple choice, hazard perception and CPC case studies) through the government website and get back in touch with them to arrange the practical training once I had passed the theories. I was more than happy to do this, as it avoids paying any markup on the tests that some companies inevitably add on for the convenience of arranging it all for you.

I’ve been using lgvtheory.co.uk for revision and it seems pretty good, especially for the case studies and multiple choice. The real proof will be if I pass though! [emoji23] It is a bit thin on the ground on hazard perception videos though. I think it costs about £12, which I don’t think is too bad.

Good luck too, I’m sure others might have their own opinions, but this is how I’m tackling things so far! [emoji3]

I definitely think you’re going about it in a good way, probably the way most go about it. I think I need to do a lot more research into what I need to get done myself and how I can go about getting it booked. Originally I thought it would be as simple as applying for the provisional and then meeting a trainer who kinda does the rest with you, how wrong was I haha. I’m sure once it’s all done I’ll think it’s all simple but for now it seems very complicated. I’ve not had much guidance on any of it but this forum does help, I’ve seen a lot of posts with good answers that apply to my situation. I just need to sit and read through them and take them all in.

It’s good to chat with people like you who are in a similar situation though so thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

Pete S:

Does this mean I’ve been waiting for nothing?

I don’t have any provisional entitlement yet, but was waiting for the 15th to send off my complete application. I have a feeling that there’s nothing stopping me sending it off now?

AaronBRL:

Pete S:

I don’t have any provisional entitlement yet, but was waiting for the 15th to send off my complete application. I have a feeling that there’s nothing stopping me sending it off now?

I would send your application in as soon as you had your medical and completed the forms as there is no way the DVLA will process your application before the 15th.

I agree it is a confusing process, some training schools offer a complete package or you can do the theory and hazard perception tests on your own and you just do the practical training with them.

I went for the second option because I passed my licence before 97, so I had 7.5t on my licence through grandfather rights. I was also confident on being able to pass without any support other than online practice.

AaronBRL:
I definitely think you’re going about it in a good way, probably the way most go about it. I think I need to do a lot more research into what I need to get done myself and how I can go about getting it booked. Originally I thought it would be as simple as applying for the provisional and then meeting a trainer who kinda does the rest with you, how wrong was I haha. I’m sure once it’s all done I’ll think it’s all simple but for now it seems very complicated. I’ve not had much guidance on any of it but this forum does help, I’ve seen a lot of posts with good answers that apply to my situation. I just need to sit and read through them and take them all in.

It’s good to chat with people like you who are in a similar situation though so thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

You’re welcome [emoji2]

I’m sure there are companies out there who would walk you through it all (I don’t personally know any so couldn’t recommend) but I expect, as with anything else, there would be a cost involved.

I found it all a bit daunting at first too, but the government’s website does actually outline all the steps quite well (gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver).

This forum has helped me too and my local training company have been helpful so far, with offering some advice.

Good luck with your journey!

In a word, yes!

DVLA have said they’re not processing applications received from 1st Nov until 15th Nov. Even if that system breaks, it’s not an issue. Simply email extraprovisional@dvla.gov.uk with your dob, driver number and name and they will send an automated email response confirming CE provisional entitlement. I’m led to believe (but it’s yet to be tested) that this will be very quick. So either way, no panic.

Best of luck with it, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

No need to make hard work of it. Speak with a reputable trainer (try Peter Smythe Transport Training Ltd 01623 555661) and they will deal with the whole process on your behalf.

Or send me a pm and I’m always willing to help - FOC!!

Pete S :laughing: :laughing: