Provisional entitlements & staging/upgrading

Hi All,

The long-awaited redundancy is only days away, so I’ll be sorting out my LGV & PSV training shortly. Going to get the medical sorted next week, then apply for the C provisional and crack on with it.

Was just having a gander on the DVLA website, and it’s totally fried my head :astonished: :laughing: So, a couple of questions:

The DVLAs website suggests that I need to pass C, before I can even apply for provisional C+E. I assumed I could send the form, and tick every box on it to get provisional entitlements for the lot: C, C1, C+E, C1+E, D, D1, D+E, D1+E - then, when i get it back, fire through the theories, Mod 2s, and just do 3 weeks back to back training on C, C+E and D - get the mod 4s done… and off we go.

Am I reading this correctly, as it seems to suggest that I need to pass the ‘rigid’ category, before I can even apply for prov. entitlement for the trailer… adding, what 3-4 weeks onto the time it’ll take - and giving them the opportunity to lose god knows how many forms ! :question:

gov.uk/vehicles-you-can-dri … r-over/yes

"You can apply for provisional large vehicle and lorry entitlement (category C) then take a category C test.
Towing

Once you’ve passed your test you can apply for a provisional towing entitlement (category C+E)."

Also, regarding staging / upgrading of entitlements…

gov.uk/adding-higher-catego … ng-licence

The rules are different for trailer entitlements. If you get the trailer entitlement for a larger vehicle you won’t get the trailer entitlement for the smaller vehicles you’d normally get through upgrading.

This page kinda suggests that the C+E pass would NOT upgrade me to D+E if i do D, after C & C+E… can anyone confim if having C+E, then passing D, would give you D+E ?

Or, would I need to do D before the C+E, in order to get D+E ?

No wonder the DVLA screw things up so much, it seems you need a degree in mars exploration to fill in their bloody forms !

Aaaargh !
Chris :laughing:

The C+E provisional will automatically be added after you pass the Cat C test. Normally the examiner deals with this process for you and takes about 10-14 days.

Once you have passed the C+E test you will automatically receive D+E whether you pass Cat D before or after passing C+E.

Just tick C & D on the D2 provisional form - that will cover all the categories

Many training schools will not book a CE course until C has been passed because you may need retests for C which can delay CE training and that can mean that the training school has a hole in their schedule which is too late to be filled

Apart from doing C before CE you could do these three tests in any order, C CE D, and that will get you C1 C1E C CE D1 D1E D DE

As its likely that you will be doing all in the new year then it seems, as long as you have car manual, you could do any or all of those in auto and get all the categories in manual

Hi Guys,

Ah ok. So I can’t just jump straight from a C pass to doing C+E, gotta send license off and get C+E provisional added. I take it there’s no benefit to doing D, straight after C, as I’d still need to send it off after that to get the C+E prov added ?

FLT/HIAB/ADR (even the tanks module ?) aren’t dependent on having a license are they, so I could do them whilst my license was away floating around in Swansea, to save a little time ? Speaking of which, am I right in thinking that if I do an additional 35 hours of (credited) training, I’ll get 10 year DCPC expiry ?

I’d heard about the auto thing, dunno if any of the trainers around here have auto vehicles (except the buses perhaps), but I think I’d rather do the training in a manual anyway - gotta learn it somehow :laughing:

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers,
Chris.

Chris1207:
So I can’t just jump straight from a C pass to doing C+E, gotta send license off and get C+E provisional added. I take it there’s no benefit to doing D, straight after C, as I’d still need to send it off after that to get the C+E prov added ?

You have the choice of whether you or the examiner deals with the licence when a test is passed so you could do C, keep licence, do D and then after passing D let the examiner deal with it - then do C+E when it comes back from DVLA

It all depends on how you want to go about doing what test