Provisional Entitlement

Hi, I have applied for my provisional entitlement for lorries, my intention as posted before would be to do a class 2 then 1, however on the D2 form which has arrived it just says C, C1, C1+E but not CE (class 1), unless I have to do a class 2 first?!

Looking at my driving licence it says C1 (7.5 ton) C (lorry) C1E (lorry with trailer), CE not on the application form.

Interestingly as well, I passed my PSV in 2004 but it is dated 2014 (when I upgraded it to a manual licence).

Looks like I’ll be doing my 3 part theory first as that lasts 2 years and a medical only 4 months!

Thank you.

Once you pass your class 2, you will automatically gain a provisional entitlement for class 1. Will show up when you receive your nice, shiny new licence after passing class 2

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Provisional C doesn’t show on the card I believe, so it may be worth checking online if you already have it. If you ticked the box way back in the day, you may have it, but if you didn’t then it is the full medical required unfortunately.

C+E wouldn’t be on the form, but once you have passed C, you get automatic provisional for C+E. C1+E is there because in certain circumstances it might need a medical for provisional (that would be rare because most that got C1 acquired rights also got C1+E).

I’m not sure why a medical would only last 4 months?

As others have said -
Provisionals are only visible online
CE prov appears online after passing C

I hope you ticked D on the D2 form

Note to anyone reading - always tick C & D on the D2 form - nothing else needs to be ticked

ROG:
As others have said -

Note to anyone reading - always tick C & D on the D2 form - nothing else needs to be ticked

I haven’t sent it off yet, just ordered two books to study with, then will do theory, then medical then send it off… why would I need D when I have D already?

RoadHogMad:

ROG:
As others have said -

I haven’t sent it off yet, just ordered two books to study with, then will do theory, then medical then send it off… why would I need D when I have D already?

AH = missed that bit :blush:

Did you miss ticking C when you did D :question: or have you got to an age where you needed another D4 medical anyway :question:

ROG:

RoadHogMad:

ROG:
As others have said -

AH = missed that bit :blush:

Did you miss ticking C when you did D :question: or have you got to an age where you needed another D4 medical anyway :question:

Nope only 38 so got 6/7 years before a 45 medical.

Never fancied trucking in my early years, plus the PSV was paid for by my company. 18 years later and working in a crap industry I fancy a change and was has made me decide to do it is the pay difference, class 2 is around 2k a year more and class 1 around 10k a year more! I’m on around 24K - 25K per year basic, or £12.40 ph.

And if anything just the experience of driving a class 1 which also upgrades everything else, I can’t even tow a caravan but a class 1 will upgrade that.

In between my bus driving I did coach work which is a little like lorry driving, given pickup details and drop of details, responsible for my own breaks and navigation, can’t say I had any issues! Came across a few width restrictions but just common sense to avoid them.

RoadHogMad:
I can’t even tow a caravan

You can on a B licence but it depends on the set up :smiley:

ROG:

RoadHogMad:

I think I towed a little ■■■■■ trailer someone lent me once, the type you can fit a bag of sand in!

It had shopping trolley wheels.

Anyway… the books have come, so time to read for 20 minutes a day for a month and to do every other day mock tests.

Who’s Harry Jones anyway?

What is the Jones book like, does it seem good? I’m torn between that, the DVSA CPC book and those knock off cd roms on ebay…

RoadHogMad:

ROG:

RoadHogMad:

I think I towed a little ■■■■■ trailer someone lent me once, the type you can fit a bag of sand in!

It had shopping trolley wheels.

Legal B licence towing example
Skoda octavia GVW (MAM) 2100
Caravan MTPLM (MAM) 1400 or Box trailer plated at 1400 MAM and 400 empty leaving a max trailer load of 1000