Prostate problems

dozy:

lancpudn:
Yes they did say there were other options on the table depending on your circumstances but strongly recommended this hormone treatment which will last for two years with three monthly injections along with external beam radio therapy treatment. More chance of a normal life & not being permanently incontinence with this hormone/external radio beam treatment.
This is my schedule for the entire month of January. :open_mouth: I have to arrive 30 minutes prior to my appointment time to give myself the micro enema & allow that to work before going on the external beam radio machine each time.
I read the whole McMillan book about treatments & side effects, All of them are more or less the same except for surgically removing it which comes with itā€™s own downsides. They said if all fails they will remove it surgically.

Best of luck mate with the next month lancpudn , hope it all goes well for you

Thanks Dozy, If I didnā€™t have bad luck Iā€™d have no luck at all! Weā€™ve all got this Strep A virus which has knocked us all for six, Weā€™re all still in our sick beds since Xmas day/boxing day, Iā€™ve never felt so ill in my life.

Raging temperature & shivering at the same time, Swollen glands & throat still swollen up, Still havenā€™t had anything to eat since xmas day, All that food I cooked on Xmas day is still sitting there, Nobody can eat it what a waste, Iā€™ve got a deep rasping cough that doubles you over when coughing coupled with the vilest bright yellow phlegm you can imagine & a constant mother of all headaches.
Finally managed to get some Amoxicillin yesterday evening after waiting to hear back from my GP since Boxing day, A neighbour picked them up from the pharmacy for us.

My wife rang Christies as I could hardly speak to tell them of the situation with this Strep virus & she said Thank you for ringing prior to your appointments & telling us , Itā€™s a very contagious virus & they want to keep it out of the radio therapy department so Iā€™ve to finish my course of antibiotics & theyā€™ve pushed my appointments back two weeks from the 3rd January to the 17th January, Theyā€™re sending me out a new appointment schedule, so not too long of a wait.
Iā€™m going back to my bed I still feel dreadful.

Oh dear , if it doesnā€™t rain it ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  down , yes get back to bed, hope your luck changes and soon

Hospital for blood test , after multiple attempts at both arms , hands couldnā€™t get any blood , said your dehydrated , sent away & go back Friday to try again , she maybe right as had this a few times of late whilst trying to do blood / sugars , canā€™t get blood , see what Friday brings

dozy:
Oh dear , if it doesnā€™t rain it ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  down , yes get back to bed, hope your luck changes and soon

Yeah youā€™re not kidding, Both of us still feel absolute dreadful & still coughing our guts up to the point where weā€™ve both now got a mouthful of mouth ulcers & even the skin on our lips is peeling off!!! we still havenā€™t ventured out since Xmas day. This Strep virus seems to have effected half the town from the phone calls weā€™ve had. Anyhow two more amoxicillin antibiotic tablets left to take & thatā€™s the course done, Should be OK for starting the treatment on the 17th January.

Started my daily month long radiotherapy treatment at Christies Salford today & the external beam radio therapy machine looks like something straight off the set of Star Trek :open_mouth:
Never felt owt whilst it did itā€™s thing for 15 minutes :confused: Iā€™ve got a mishmash of appointment times from early morning, mid day & late times on my schedule this time. I thought Iā€™d done with rush hour traffic conditions when I retired, Still only a month of it.

lancpudn:
Started my daily month long radiotherapy treatment at Christies Salford today & the external beam radio therapy machine looks like something straight off the set of Star Trek :open_mouth:
Never felt owt whilst it did itā€™s thing for 15 minutes :confused: Iā€™ve got a mishmash of appointment times from early morning, mid day & late times on my schedule this time. I thought Iā€™d done with rush hour traffic conditions when I retired, Still only a month of it.

Glad your getting sorted , never seen anything like that , so you lie on it then it goes over you , similar to mri scanner ? Just done psa blood test , hopefully lower than last time

dozy:

lancpudn:

Glad your getting sorted , never seen anything like that , so you lie on it then it goes over you , similar to mri scanner ? Just done psa blood test , hopefully lower than last time

Tis a strange machine for sure, Not had any side effects as of yet in fact Iā€™ve never felt a thing whilst itā€™s been doing itā€™s thing, They gave me a list of foods to avoid & told me to watch what I eat i.e. no onions,peas,cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli or pretty much all vegetables, pulses or beer/fizzy drinks that will give you gas. :open_mouth:
Had to laugh yesterday! the floor of the toilets was sticky underfoot from people doing these micro enemas & it dripping on the floor, Itā€™s a clear liquid & as soon as you break the tip off the nozzle it starts to come out, My shoes were sticking to the floor lol. :grimacing: Good luck keeping that inside you for more than 15 minutes, They wont let you on the machine until 30 minutes after you did your enema to let it work.

Good luck with the PSA blood results, I dare say Iā€™ll be in for a lot of those when Iā€™ve completed this month long course.

Iā€™m into the second week of four on this radiotherapy treatment at Christies Salford, Although you feel nothing whilst the machine does itā€™s thing there are after effects which have now started to show!
A feeling of discomfort down there & Iā€™m back to struggling to pee worse than ever, Trying to empty my bladder has never been as bad or painful.

Iā€™m going to the toilet over eight times per night & still struggling to empty my bladder. They said this would happen & if I cant empty my bladder at all they gave me an emergency number to call them, I suppose itā€™s going to get worse before it starts to get better with them bombarding my prostate with on this machine. A TURP procedure was mentioned & looking it up online I hope I donā€™t have to go through with that :open_mouth: nhs.uk/conditions/transuret ā€¦ tate-turp/

lancpudn:
Iā€™m into the second week of four on this radiotherapy treatment at Christies Salford, Although you feel nothing whilst the machine does itā€™s thing there are after effects which have now started to show!
A feeling of discomfort down there & Iā€™m back to struggling to pee worse than ever, Trying to empty my bladder has never been as bad or painful.

Iā€™m going to the toilet over eight times per night & still struggling to empty my bladder. They said this would happen & if I cant empty my bladder at all they gave me an emergency number to call them, I suppose itā€™s going to get worse before it starts to get better with them bombarding my prostate with on this machine. A TURP procedure was mentioned & looking it up online I hope I donā€™t have to go through with that :open_mouth: nhs.uk/conditions/transuret ā€¦ tate-turp/

Keep going lancupn ( though itā€™s easy for me to say as Iā€™d had enough after 2 nd biopsy ) , I spend night after night sleeping on bathroom floor , and never had pain like it peeing
It will all be worth it in the end , Iā€™m sure

dozy:

lancpudn:

Keep going lancupn ( though itā€™s easy for me to say as Iā€™d had enough after 2 nd biopsy ) , I spend night after night sleeping on bathroom floor , and never had pain like it peeing
It will all be worth it in the end , Iā€™m sure

Cheers dozy, I didnā€™t think it would get this bad to be honest, Just grin & bare it I suppose. They change the appointment times quite a bit & Iā€™ve had a few 08:30 appointments which comes as a shock to the system with commuter traffic, I thought Iā€™d finished with that rush hour traffic malarkey years ago when I retired. Theyā€™ve changed some other appointments for next week to 4:00pm which will put me in the evening rush hour traffic :open_mouth: I donā€™t miss driving in rush hour one little bit but with the NHS/Ambulance strikes they said I need to be flexible to help out the PTS (patient transport services) who have to wait hours for their ride home. Fair enough.

This radiotherapy is playing havoc with my toilet needs, Iā€™m still really struggling to empty my bladder & now Iā€™m constipated, Itā€™s a miserable time at present. :cry:

lancpudn:
This radiotherapy is playing havoc with my toilet needs, Iā€™m still really struggling to empty my bladder & now Iā€™m constipated, Itā€™s a miserable time at present. :cry:

Not good lancpun , I know there doing it for the best but you do wonder , but keep going , hopefully it will be all worth it

dozy:

lancpudn:

Not good lancpun , I know there doing it for the best but you do wonder , but keep going , hopefully it will be all worth it

No improvement at all, Itā€™s never been as bad to empty my bladder, Itā€™s agony. Now having to go to the toilet over a dozen times per night & passing very little urine.
I told them yesterday I can hardly pee at all now so theyā€™ve given me some new meds today, Tamsulosin to take before I go to bed, It was either this or go to Bolton A&E to have a catheter fitted & a very looooooong wait time. Since Wigan A&E stopped taking any one in there because theyā€™re overrun other than life or death situations theyā€™re all coming to Bolton A&E.
Three more days to go for radiotherapy at Christies Salford.

lancpudn:

dozy:

lancpudn:

No improvement at all, Itā€™s never been as bad to empty my bladder, Itā€™s agony. Now having to go to the toilet over a dozen times per night & passing very little urine.
I told them yesterday I can hardly pee at all now so theyā€™ve given me some new meds today, Tamsulosin to take before I go to bed, It was either this or go to Bolton A&E to have a catheter fitted & a very looooooong wait time. Since Wigan A&E stopped taking any one in there because theyā€™re overrun other than life or death situations theyā€™re all coming to Bolton A&E.

Iā€™ve had the 6 times in the night & it catches up on you , so understand how you feel , I still have the odd night but weā€™re convinced itā€™s diabetis more than prostrate , itā€™s easy for me to just say keep going but I told them they can take it away before I have another biopsy , so real credit to you lancupn , and I hope things get easier

dozy:

lancpudn:

dozy:

lancpudn:

Iā€™ve had the 6 times in the night & it catches up on you , so understand how you feel , I still have the odd night but weā€™re convinced itā€™s diabetis more than prostrate , itā€™s easy for me to just say keep going but I told them they can take it away before I have another biopsy , so real credit to you lancupn , and I hope things get easier

Cheers dozy, Hallelujah ! This Tamsulosin medication works a treat, One tablet half an hour before bed & I can now empty my bladder, I had the best nights sleep for months & only got up once through the night, I wonder why they didnā€™t prescribe me this before!!! What a relief though.

Thatā€™s great , my original urology nurse ( abi ) said there was medication available if needed . Good your hopefully getting there

dozy:
Thatā€™s great , my original urology nurse ( abi ) said there was medication available if needed . Good your hopefully getting there

Cheers dozy, Thatā€™s me finished on the month long radiotherapy course, Did my last one today. The Christieā€™s staff said it will be around 6-8 weeks before the prostate settles down & I should be feeling better, In 6 months time theyā€™re going to send me a letter to go for PSA tests to check on my progress.

lancpudn:

dozy:

Cheers dozy, Thatā€™s me finished on the month long radiotherapy course, Did my last one today. The Christieā€™s staff said it will be around 6-8 weeks before the prostate settles down & I should be feeling better, In 6 months time theyā€™re going to send me a letter to go for PSA tests to check on my progress.

Thatā€™s good , probably need a break

I seem to be going back a step with this Tamsulosin medication! It doesnā€™t seem to be working like it did in the first week I was taking it, Iā€™m back to going to the bathroom between 8-10 times a night again & struggling to pee & itā€™s getting painful again.
They said itā€™ll be 6-8 weeks before it calms down so Iā€™ll just have to tough it out until then hoping it gets better.

lancpudn:
I seem to be going back a step with this Tamsulosin medication! It doesnā€™t seem to be working like it did in the first week I was taking it, Iā€™m back to going to the bathroom between 8-10 times a night again & struggling to pee & itā€™s getting painful again.
They said itā€™ll be 6-8 weeks before it calms down so Iā€™ll just have to tough it out until then hoping it gets better.

Have you even looked at pistonheads ( health section ) , fair few going through prostrate issues , maybe someone with similar symptoms / medication , maybe helpful