Prospects in the trucking industry

DrivingMissDaisy:

Rhythm Thief:

DrivingMissDaisy:
Have you got the time for a lifestyle though? Are you living with Ma and Pa still? Maybe getting some working tax credit top up? In short, we don’t have the full picture in order to assess your situation. Norfolknewbie posted on here some months ago about how well he was doing. So well in fact that he was able to save £150 a week. It only came out in the wash later that he was also getting £150 a week from the taxpayer… :wink:

Who, me? I get nowt from the taxpayer, and I pay my own mortgage. We do have two incomes coming in though.

No not you RT! I meant to quote Kevwall but had a senior moment… :slight_smile:

:laughing:

kitbuilder123:
Hold on a second though. All you fellas that are doing 7 hour night trunks and saying “it’s not like the old days”. Are ye trying to say that 30 year ago you were also working 7 hour shifts and coining it?
Bull! The jobs 100 times easier now. Better trucks, better roads, but same poor wages. And it’s true, driving was never and will never be well paid. The one and only way to earn good wages as a driver is to put in the hours.
It’s about finding a happy balance.
When looking for my current job, I didn’t ring an agency, or go work for someone with a gazillion lorries. I made a short list if small outfits close to home that I would like to work for. I now drive one of 5 lorries in our yard, do the odd repairs, the odd night out and all for a wage that I’m happy with. I don’t count hours or know what my hourly rate is, when the work is there I do it, when it’s not I go home. And I’m a person not a number.

Don’t come on with this poor truck drivers, poor me, poor us, industries [zb] crap. Lots of us still enjoying driving and I for one wouldnt want to do anything else. Paddle your own canoe when it comes to work and don’t worry about everyone else and drivers would be a much happier bunch.

Poor me, they took my keys at the rdc. Now I can’t enjoy my DVD, with the night heater on and the soup warming on the gas stove because the windows up and I need ignition to let it down. I hate whiney truck drivers.

Oh, don’t run away with the idea that I don’t enjoy the job. I do, even after fifteen years at it. I work nights partly because the hours are shorter, but also because the roads are quieter and I prefer it. As for your first point … no I wasn’t working seven hour days fifteen years ago, but I was earning a higher hourly rate and proper overtime (time and a half after eight hours), as well as working for an agency who helped me through my C+E and put me through my HIAB licence. I might well be able to earn more now by putting in more hours, but frankly that’s a mug’s game and I’ll stick with my lower salary and better quality of life. :slight_smile:

was speaking to someone who ran an agency recently and they was saying they have x amount of drivers working for them. … my reply was don’t you mean you work for x amount of drivers as you are acting as their agent and earning a percentage of their pay and there less the problem they are taking a cut from both sides so have a conflict of interests

cheekymonkey:
Theres talk of an increase in the NMW. Well our wages arent about to increase. I asked our agency if there was any chance of a rise. He said they need £2 over our hourly rate, if that increases, their rates will have to increase to the customer. The customer will then move agencies.
Very few large companies are taking on full time staff. They love agencies and the flexibility they bring, but they`ll drop their current agency like a hot potato if it dares to ask for an increase, and call up one of the many others.

Do you not think that the agencies themselves have played a large part in the gradual downfall of the haulage industry.
I remember when they first came about in the 80s, they were looked upon with trepidation and a bit of a joke, as they only attracted… lets say the lower end of the driver quality range, like the ones that had bad reputations among local firms for reliability and damage etc, also a lot of new inexperienced drivers.
They solved this by paying a higher rate of pay than employed drivers were on, thus attracting the better quality driver. This worked well for the driver as it was on the basis that a driver hired out his services and chose when he did (or didn’t) want to work, basically calling the shots for himself.
Then as the years went on and the ■■■■ hit the fan with recession, firms going down the pan etc things changed, the lunatics took over the asylum, the agencies that had became popular with companies for the flexibility you mention, had suddenly got a hold over drivers, hourly rates were cut, and now THEY called the shots :smiling_imp: until they became what they are today, parasitic middle men with too much power over the driver.
If things had not changed and agencies did not exist, given the rates that companies are willing to pay these ■■■■■■■■ s before they cream off their cut, what rate would we be ALL on as employed drivers working direct for these companies, given that we would not have lost all the employee’s rights over the years in question, that the agencies should also take some responsibility for, given the benefits that the alternatives they have provided have brought to firms needing drivers? :bulb:

Yes absolutely right. The agencies are responsible for the low wages. They offer the ability to work part time though which is a big plus for me personally. I also agree that had they never been invented we would be paid considerably more. Theres no doubt theyve dragged wages down, but we are where we are.
To the other poster, sorry forgot your name, you sound like me when I was 21!! I didnt reckon up the hourly rate. I had a job I loved and I was the richest guy I knew! Lorry driving then was indeed a hell of a lot more difficult and skilled job. But it actually was a well paid job and just as importantly, it was a respected job. In 1975 when I started I was paid a basic plus 20% of what the truck earned. We found our own back loads. I was on about £140 p/w. ...1975! Im sorry if I come across as a whinger, I`m just getting more disillusioned with this job.

I was DHL this morning and took the liberty of copying some of their info posters in the driver`s room. I will quote them verbatim…

SNOW…“falling snow reduces visibility”…“grip is reduced”…snow may cover hazards such as kerbs"

ICE…“cause slides and spins”…

WINTER SUN…“Tends to be very bright”

FOG…“can cause very poor visibility”

HAIL…“may occur unexpectedly”

Rain…(and I swear this is true)…“causes pools of water” ! :unamused:

I agree with the poster who said a smaller local firm is usually better to work for,much better than these multi-national outfits, at least you`re usually credited with the perceived ownership of at least a few brain cells.

Kevwall:

DrivingMissDaisy:
Kevwall, have you got the time for a lifestyle though? Are you living with Ma and Pa still? Maybe getting some working tax credit top up? In short, we don’t have the full picture in order to assess your situation. Norfolknewbie posted on here some months ago about how well he was doing. So well in fact that he was able to save £150 a week. It only came out in the wash later that he was also getting £150 a week from the taxpayer… :wink:

Yep I have a lifestyle I see my friends regular my family etc and I have a mortgage. My mum passes away 3 years ago with the money I went and invested in my licence, that earnt me the deposit to purchase a house and a nice car and be comfortable with the lifestyle I life, always have money can help my family out when they need it etc!

If you don’t mind me asking did you buy outright or on a mortgage? The devil is in the detail! And where are you?

kitbuilder123:
Hold on a second though. All you fellas that are doing 7 hour night trunks and saying “it’s not like the old days”. Are ye trying to say that 30 year ago you were also working 7 hour shifts and coining it?
Bull! The jobs 100 times easier now. Better trucks, better roads, but same poor wages. And it’s true, driving was never and will never be well paid. The one and only way to earn good wages as a driver is to put in the hours.
It’s about finding a happy balance.
When looking for my current job, I didn’t ring an agency, or go work for someone with a gazillion lorries. I made a short list if small outfits close to home that I would like to work for. I now drive one of 5 lorries in our yard, do the odd repairs, the odd night out and all for a wage that I’m happy with. I don’t count hours or know what my hourly rate is, when the work is there I do it, when it’s not I go home. And I’m a person not a number.

Don’t come on with this poor truck drivers, poor me, poor us, industries [zb] crap. Lots of us still enjoying driving and I for one wouldnt want to do anything else. Paddle your own canoe when it comes to work and don’t worry about everyone else and drivers would be a much happier bunch.

Poor me, they took my keys at the rdc. Now I can’t enjoy my DVD, with the night heater on and the soup warming on the gas stove because the windows up and I need ignition to let it down. I hate whiney truck drivers.

Oh my god…Burn him…Burn him I say…he speaks with fork tongue…On the other hand he could just be a realist…among dinosaurs…

DrivingMissDaisy:

Kevwall:

DrivingMissDaisy:
Kevwall, have you got the time for a lifestyle though? Are you living with Ma and Pa still? Maybe getting some working tax credit top up? In short, we don’t have the full picture in order to assess your situation. Norfolknewbie posted on here some months ago about how well he was doing. So well in fact that he was able to save £150 a week. It only came out in the wash later that he was also getting £150 a week from the taxpayer… :wink:

Yep I have a lifestyle I see my friends regular my family etc and I have a mortgage. My mum passes away 3 years ago with the money I went and invested in my licence, that earnt me the deposit to purchase a house and a nice car and be comfortable with the lifestyle I life, always have money can help my family out when they need it etc!

If you don’t mind me asking did you buy outright or on a mortgage? The devil is in the detail! And where are you?

Sorry mate yeah I got a mortgage did not buy outright!

DrivingMissDaisy:

Kevwall:

DrivingMissDaisy:

:sunglasses:

Kevwall:

DrivingMissDaisy:

Kevwall:

DrivingMissDaisy:

No apology necessary mate just trying to build up a picture. Whilst your doing OK pay a little extra off the mortgage, you know it makes sense! :wink: Where in this wonderful country of ours do you live and work?

DrivingMissDaisy:

Kevwall:

DrivingMissDaisy:

Kevwall:

DrivingMissDaisy:

No apology necessary mate just trying to build up a picture. Whilst your doing OK pay a little extra off the mortgage, you know it makes sense! :wink: Where in this wonderful country of ours do you live and work?

Haha I live in Skelmersdale it’s only a small down in between Liverpool and Manchester, not far from Wigan! And that’s the plan mate to pay more off the mortgage! I work out of northwich!

It sounds like you’ve had a decent start to your driving career and I hope you can continue to build on it to give yourself a good foundation. Believe it or not, one day your going to be my age (54 but don’t look it! :slight_smile: ) keep making hay while the sun shines and you’ll be better situated when the next recession comes along!

cheekymonkey:
I was DHL this morning and took the liberty of copying some of their info posters in the driver`s room. I will quote them verbatim…

SNOW…“falling snow reduces visibility”…“grip is reduced”…snow may cover hazards such as kerbs"

I agree with the poster who said a smaller local firm is usually better to work for,much better than these multi-national outfits, at least you`re usually credited with the perceived ownership of at least a few brain cells.

Yeh, and you can sure as hell bet that the ■■■■ sat on his arse in an office that composed this ■■■■■■■■, who’s “job” has been created for him to make the co look more…professional :unamused: will be on a higher annual wage than you and me, down to his blue sky thinking in his key co. role :unamused:
If they sacked these self important bellends there would be more money in the kitty to pay the guys like us at the sharp end of the job that ARE actually DOING something :bulb:

robroy:

cheekymonkey:

Yeh, and you can sure as hell bet that the ■■■■ sat on his arse in an office that composed this ■■■■■■■■, who’s “job” has been created for him to make the co look more…professional :unamused: will be on a higher annual wage than you and me, down to his blue sky thinking in his key co. role :unamused:
If they sacked these self important bellends there would be more money in the kitty to pay the guys like us at the sharp end of the job that ARE actually DOING something :bulb:

The problem is they have to employ somebody to make these signs as when some driver crashes because he didn’t use the sunvisor, he goes straight to one of these no fee no win leaches, they somehow manage to claim that DHL should have warned thier driver about low sun in winter and the driver gets a pay out.

Of course DHL should have taken it to court, but thier accountants tell them its cheaper to settle, so instead of the driver being told he’s a [zb] for not doing something most of us realise is sensible, we all get treated like a bunch of morons. :smiling_imp:

I wonder if DHL depots in Germany also have these signs in thier depots?

Used to work for dhhell used to really ■■■■ the office staff off when I spread the rumour that office Staff would soon have wear gloves because of the risk of paper cuts

I’m in a similar position as kevwall was and of a similar age. I work in a warehouse for a local theme park. For me too earn a decent wage usually £350 take home I have to work in the region of 60hrs a week (tax deductions seem to be a lot). In the summer peak times it can go up abit but not by much. My yearly total comes out to around £17000 and I’ve had to work my arse into the ground for that. I’m trying to save the money to be able to obtain my hgv license but with bills etc it’s hard going. As I get to see a lot of different drivers from different catering suppliers I do hear a lot of different opinions about the job. But for me to be a hgv driver would be about getting a better wage and working less hours for it and being able to be out on the open road seeing different places rather than the inside of my warehouse. :slight_smile:

All I can say is the grass is always greener on the other side

I would suggest checking out employment prospects in your area before shelling out £2500. on training costs.The situation will be different in other parts of the Country,but there is no shortage of drivers and no shortage of T.Ms. looking for 2 years experience.

theshed:
All I can say is the grass is always greener on the other side

True, though green is greener compared to mucky brown.