Pros of driving an artic rather than a rigid

I have my class 1 but only have real experience of driving a class 2. However the thought of driving a class 1 in the real world still daunts me. However the majority of class 1 drivers I speak to say they hate driving rigids why is this? I can’t see it being easier driving a class 1.

Although I’m only Class 2, I’ve seen Class 1 drivers able to turn round in one go in some places where it would take me 3-4 shunts to spin my rigid round. I can’t wait to get my Class 1 done.

Baldy91:
However the majority of class 1 drivers I speak to say they hate driving rigids why is this?

Because every time I try to reverse a rigid I always turn the steering wheel the wrong way and end up at a 45 degree angle to where I wanted to be and everybody points at me and laughs. :stuck_out_tongue:

An artic can be easier to spin around in smallish yards because you can get the unit pushing/pulling at 90 degrees so that the trailer is pivoting on “on the spot”. By comparison, maximum length rigids can be quite unwieldy.

(Mind you, the TM won’t thank you if you make a habit of scrubbing the trailer tyres like that!)

It means you get to wave your willy faster. :wink:

Ok cool, thanks a lot for the replies. You would naturally think an artic is a lot harder to drive. Most artics make my rigid look a transit lol.

I hate driving rigids simply because it makes me look like I didn’t try hard enough to be a proper driver :grimacing:

Easier to drive, easier to reverse (once you get used to it) more comfortable and you can do U turns with them.
I hate rigids :imp:

A rigid has the turning circle of the Titanic, and harder to reverse than an artics.
The positives are getting down rural lanes, but you still get your mirrors bashed in from branches in the hedges.
When parking spaces are full , there is always a sneaky spot to park in.

What about truck and trailer?

I drive a 25ft 7.5t and next week will get my new 21ft 3 axle trailer (all car transporter based) some days it’s easy to drive and turn around and other days Its a nightmare.

and if you are always driving class 1’s then reversing a rigid is a nightmare as you are always looking into the mirrors and turning the wheel the wrong way !! :laughing:

class 1,class 2,van,work is work as long as you are earning,personally if I could find a job on a van earning class 1 money I would swap tomorrow [without multi drop]

Reading posts on this forum I would say about double the wage on class 1! :wink:

Pete.

Darb:
I hate driving rigids simply because it makes me look like I didn’t try hard enough to be a proper driver :grimacing:

+1

The day you start driving artics your balls swell by at least 50%. Fact.

100% if it’s a V8 :smiley:

■■■■. Now I know why mine are still looking like peanuts. … :laughing:

Baldy91:
I have my class 1 but only have real experience of driving a class 2. However the thought of driving a class 1 in the real world still daunts me. However the majority of class 1 drivers I speak to say they hate driving rigids why is this? I can’t see it being easier driving a class 1.

It’s not. But as someone who passed class 1 fairly recently, doing class 1 work means that I get paid more and it repays the investment I made in myself. (Of course, so does driving a rigid, in my case.) They’re certainly not easier to drive except on dual carriageways. They’re not easier to reverse and harder to park, especially at service stations (and there are plenty of old yards that were built when trailers were shorter where you have to manoeuvre a long trailer). But rigids tend to be made for shorter distances, so you get less cab room and fewer mod-cons, and you’re more likely to get a weedy 6-speed gearbox.

Pimpdaddy:

Darb:

+1

+2

For me it was never about money, hours, overtime, big truck etc as class 2 where exactly the same as class 1. It was about the difficultly level, I say class 2 is harder to drive simply because it is.

I’m not talking about a stupid wee puddle jumper I’m talking about 18palleters. The tail swing is wild, a simple corner is a ■■■■■■■ nightmare. It’s like turning a jumbo bleeding jet at times. I also find all the ■■■■■ drops eh the day are done by class 2 awe the drops the artic boys stuck forms in about. You also can’t control a junction the way you can in a artic.

The only thing easier in a class 2 is reversing its basically like reversing a big car, but in time with a lot of experience even that plus point goes out the window as you’re just as good at reversing a artic in/out of any situation as you are in a car!!

The pros to artics is usually you get easier runs, more hours, more overtime, more comfortable truck. Usually it commands a slightly better salary but sometimes it doesn’t!!

Terry T:
The day you start driving artics your balls swell by at least 50%. Fact.

100% if it’s a V8 :smiley:

and if you have peekaboo curtains,and run off the limiter,then they stay swelled up pemenantly… :wink: