Pros & cons

Pros & cons of being a self employed driver not owner driver.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Don’t think the HMRC recognises the idea of a ‘self employed driver’.It’s either owner driver or employed driver.

You only have to find work for yourself. Costs almost nothing when not working
Versus
You have to find work fir you and your truck, as well as actually drive your truck, truck rental, repayments and costs continue whether you find work or not

van ?
7.5?
rigid?
or unit?

Personally, dont think its worth it.
Even with being a self employed van driver the costs are pretty high as they often require vans less than 5 years old.

You are suggesting (it seems to me) being a driver, (no vehicle of your own), and working for different employers?

Surely HMRC would think you are an employee with multiple employers?
Not self employed?

gov.uk/working-for-yourself

The two are almost non-comparable.
As a self-employed driver you only have to find work, and can work as much or as little as you want depending on financial circumstances.
As an owner-driver you have much more responsibility and financial obligations. You will need a vehicle and somewhere to keep it, a maintenance plan and proof of access to funds, a transport manager cpc (either yourself or someone external). That’s all before you start trying to find enough work to pay for it all and then pay yourself a salary on top of all those expenses

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I cant remember all the details but didnt the royal mail have a system that if you didnt do a shift you had to find cover and if you couldnt they charged you for the cost of covering the shift?

DPD van drivers are charged 150.00 if they have to supply a driver for a shift :open_mouth:

Carryfast:
Don’t think the HMRC recognises the idea of a ‘self employed driver’.It’s either owner driver or employed driver.

I’m no expert on the tax situation but I’d say this was spot on