Proposed 80kph limit in Belgium

There has been much discussion in recent weeks in Belgium for a proposed 80kph maximum speed limit on motorways for trucks.
After several horrific accidents in recent years involving trucks,the powers that be want to introduce an 80kph limit.

However,quite a few officials have said that in most cases,speed wasn’t a contributing factor in most of these accidents,in fact volume of traffic and not enough distance between vehicles was the major cause.
That and car driver’s swerving in front of trucks and braking sharply.

I also put it down to quite a number of (Belgian) truck driver’s reading a book or newspaper and having a mobile phone clamped to their ear whilst driving that causes so many accidents.

Still,I expect they’ll make it 80 anyway!

i supposed the authorities have not considered that an increased speed differential will give car drivers that much more incentive to get around a truck which would only increase the chances of sillyness occuring in front of and behind lorries. that’s a shame.

Is 80 kmh not too fast for most Belgian car drivers Keith?

Belgian drivers make the uk drivers look good, JUST!!!

I also put it down to quite a number of (Belgian) truck driver’s reading a book or newspaper and having a mobile phone clamped to their ear whilst driving that causes so many accidents.

Dont forget the drugs too

:confused: Isn’t Holland 80 kph for trucks ■■ :slight_smile: Are they following on from them ■■

Didn’t know holland had 80kph limit, makes sense though, remember rushing up and down motorways there for and with backloads of fruit and passing nearly every truck there, my (irish) truck had a special limit of 105kph !!

I suppose if people can use the argument here that 40mph is dangerous to car drivers trying to pass slow trucks. Then there should be a uniform limit for trucks in Europe, instead of 80 for orange plates and 90 for non hazardous.

I think Holland is still 80 but they dont have any motorways as such. Is Germany still 80? Neil■■? KW■■?

Here`s a funny one for you… ITALY is 80kmh …
the theiving git who wanted to take 300,000 lire of me at rivoli peage for doing 90kmh didnt get it though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
And they want you to drive with your headlights on too… not that it makes the slightest bit of difference to them-they never look in there mirrors anyway :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I think Holland is still 80 but they dont have any motorways as such. Is Germany still 80? Neil■■? KW■■?

Holland,Germany,Italy,Switzerland still 80kph

Here in Finland a commitee investigating road accidents has suggested that speed limiters should be set to 80km/h :exclamation: Reason for this is one ( 1 ) accident involving rigid, a-frame trailer and coach. Accident was very bad but I think this is quite extereme recomendation ( they want to open doors wide open for eastern european trucks? )

Truck speed wasn’t even over 80km/h when accident began to evolve but commitee claims that limiter speed should still be lower becouse stability of truck and trailer combinations would be about 20% better. They also said that fuel consumption would drop about 10%. I agree with claim about stability but not with fuel consumption. Every hill will be longer and if car drivers would overtake us more which cause much more dangerous situations.

In most accidents involving trucks reason behind it is most likely something else than truck driver. How many accidents happen becouse of unpredictable car drivers? Sad thing is that we are not listened, it’s always some commitee where never is any real professional from the road. I have heard that EU is about to ban bullbars from front of trucks becouse of “safety of pedestrians”. I haven’t ever heard truck hitting pedestrian and if such thing is about to happens does it really matter if there is or isn’t bullbar. I don’t know about you but here those aren’t only for good look. We have quite much big wild animals which do quite nasty damage when hit. Bullbar usually prevents broking of cooler(s).

:frowning: Yes, its amazing that people that don’t know what they are on about get to make the decisions, often crazy ones. :frowning:

Lets all do 20 mph, that should be safe. :smiling_imp: