Project fear - Brexit - NO BUS DRIVERS

LMAO :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

What a load of ■■■■, if you pay a decent wage and look after your staff you will never be short of drivers.

westermant:
What a load of [zb], if you pay a decent wage and look after your staff you will never be short of drivers.

Agree.

Most round my way are black not Eastern European’s

Back in the fifties London Transport recruited drivers and conductors from the West Indies because they couldn’t get enough staff in UK and the situation has remained the same since then. I worked for them in the early seventies and we were always short of conductors and I earned plenty of money with all the overtime I worked. There were also days when I sat in the canteen because I didn’t have a driver.

Many jobs that include shift, weekend, nights and bank holidays have difficulty filling vacancies because people don’t want to work unsocial hours.

waddy640:
Many jobs that include shift, weekend, nights and bank holidays have difficulty filling vacancies because people don’t want to work unsocial hours.

Shouldn’t that be people don’t want to work unsocial hours without a reasonable enhancement in their pay?

I’ve known places where people were more than happy to work Weekends or Bank Holidays because of the money they’d earn, but when companies could get plenty of workers they did away with such things, now they complain that they cannot find workers, but I doubt Brexit will stop them finding a way of getting a supply of labour happy to accept their T&C’s.

muckles:

waddy640:

Shouldn’t that be people don’t want to work unsocial hours without a reasonable enhancement in their pay?

I’ve known places where people were more than happy to work Weekends or Bank Holidays because of the money they’d earn, but when companies could get plenty of workers they did away with such things, now they complain that they cannot find workers, but I doubt Brexit will stop them finding a way of getting a supply of labour happy to accept their T&C’s.

About 4 or 5 years ago my former employer Sainsbury’s decided to trial a Christmas day night, night shift to prepare the shop for boxing day in a few stores. They offered treble time when standard bank holiday premium was about time and a third. The shop I was in didn’t do it though the boss sounded me out and I told him it could probably be done. Several student temps and people without children would do it (myself included).

Next year we were scheduled to run a shift on Christmas Day night but because it was more widely rolled out they cut it to standard premium. As a result myself and everyone else refused. Lots of arguments but it didn’t happen.

As muckles says many people are happy to do unsociable hours that others don’t but they expect to be compensated accordingly. Unfortunately many jobs these days fail to do so

kcrussell25:

muckles:

waddy640:

About 4 or 5 years ago my former employer Sainsbury’s decided to trial a Christmas day night, night shift to prepare the shop for boxing day in a few stores. They offered treble time when standard bank holiday premium was about time and a third. The shop I was in didn’t do it though the boss sounded me out and I told him it could probably be done. Several student temps and people without children would do it (myself included).

Next year we were scheduled to run a shift on Christmas Day night but because it was more widely rolled out they cut it to standard premium. As a result myself and everyone else refused. Lots of arguments but it didn’t happen.

As muckles says many people are happy to do unsociable hours that others don’t but they expect to be compensated accordingly. Unfortunately many jobs these days fail to do so

And I’m sure that manager who made the final decision on the pay being cut back to standard and expecting people to work Xmas day for it would be at home with his family Xmas day and wouldn’t dream of coming into work. The people that make these decisions generally work 9-5 and probably don’t see the problem with unsociable hours for people and therefore don’t see a need to compensate.

And I’m sure that manager who made the final decision on the pay being cut back to standard and expecting people to work Xmas day for it would be at home with his family Xmas day and wouldn’t dream of coming into work. The people that make these decisions generally work 9-5 and probably don’t see the problem with unsociable hours for people and therefore don’t see a need to compensate.

Or maybe it’s because they know they will get people to work unsociable hours for a normal rate? Bit like drivers willing to work for minimun wage just to get a job?
And drive a big shiny lorry. :laughing:

jakethesnake:

Or maybe it’s because they know they will get people to work unsociable hours for a normal rate? Bit like drivers willing to work for minimun wage just to get a job?
And drive a big shiny lorry. :laughing:

The final decision on working it from the crew was that they would work it if the manager did. He refused so so did they.

A complication is that being a London based company with a high Asian content they used to man stores over Christmas in London in exchange for those getting Eid and Ramadan off. That’s a good option and works for all there but when you don’t have a high Asian content leaves nothing to work with

A bus driver’s son - got put through Law School instead of learning how to be a more useful member of society instead.

That bus driver’s son - is now Mayor of London.

Khaaan.gif

‘■■■■ Wittington’ he ain’t though. Just “One less Bus Driver”, unfortunately.

waddy640:
Back in the fifties London Transport recruited drivers and conductors from the West Indies because they couldn’t get enough staff in UK and the situation has remained the same since then. I worked for them in the early seventies and we were always short of conductors and I earned plenty of money with all the overtime I worked. There were also days when I sat in the canteen because I didn’t have a driver.

The problem for a lot of firms is that they also don’t start recruiting young enough.

For those in their teens or very early 20s, you wouldn’t have much of a problem finding Mon-Thu night cover, and would probably get Fri-Sun night cover for a small premium on a rota.

And once they’ve done it for several years, you probably won’t have a problem getting most to carry on into their 30s for a bit more money (and they are then a ready pool for recruitment into the night staff positions, which is also an incentive). And there will be plenty of much older fellas with settled family lives who are happy to do early morning shifts. So across the age groups you can probably get the cover.

The problem is that once you let people build their personal lives around daytime living, when they’ve established friend groups that work days, when their partners are used to seeing them in the day and having evenings together, when they are used to seeing their kids in the day, and when they’re getting a bit older and waking up earlier anyway and not staying out late of a weekend, that’s when most will not begin working nights for the first time, except for brief periods and for good money.

The firms that struggle to recruit on nights are those who have no workforce planning, who rule out teenagers for their night roles, and who predominantly expect to recruit older day workers into night workers, because there will only be a very small pool of workers willing to do it.

good post ther rjan……when I started out 20/21 I worked xmas ,new yr no problem but for x2 + day off, summer shutdown 2 weeks trade holiday …I would work again lots o OT worked /standby and would take my holidays later in the yr (cheaper as well)……but I have tae say as the yrs went on Hogmanay /new yr was sorely missed.