Progress update...

It’s been a while since I’ve posted an update and I thought it worth doing so now. To recap, I’ve been in IT all my life, got the LGV licences more out of desire than need a few years ago. Put them to use last September when made redundant from the IT job. It was a rocky start, really felt uncomfortable, kept making mistakes (thankfully nothing major), but it was a big change from my regular work. On one assignment the agency sent me to, where I didn’t do particularly well, the TM suggested that maybe this isn’t for me. To be fair, I don’t blame him! Anyway, I kept at it, although went back into IT a month later, doing trucking whenver time and regs permitted.

Anyway, lately, the client I work for asked me to come in for an assessment. I thought that’s strange, wouldn’t you do that before allowing a driver in, if at all? I was a bit nervous about it as I’m still new and lacking in confidence, wondered if I’d done something wrong! However, it was more of an induction to show how they expect things done, and then a drive to assess me. Happily I passed and the assessor thought my driving was pretty good. Relieved and pleased about that, it’s given me more confidence (but trust me, not getting over-confident by any means!).

So my message to newbies…if you really want to do it, stick with it, give it your best. :slight_smile:

great stuff, we all learn from our mistakes. its our mistakes that makes us a better driver.

As long as you don’t write the lorry off :laughing:

The first few weeks are the hardest pal, you just have to stick with it…

martin2604:
great stuff, we all learn from our mistakes. its our mistakes that makes us a better driver.

As long as you don’t write the lorry off :laughing:

I’ll bear that in mind! :laughing:

You’ve got a great attitude mate. You haven’t got a confidence issue at all, you just know you’re not very good yet. It takes time, but you’ll get better. At least you’re not cocky like a lot of new drivers. What these mugs fail to realise is that all they’re doing is setting themselves up for egg on their face when they hit something.