Professional

Why does everyone keep using this saying whats wrong with just using the term hgv driver or trucker etc etc, Why do people feel the need to say ooh im not a truckie im a “Professional” you dont hear other trades calling themselves things like a Professional plumber or a Professional mechanic, Dont get me wrong if you want to make yourself sound really important go for it i just cant figure out why people need to spout the “Professional” word everywhere they go

simon

Well, if you get paid for whatever work you do, you are by definition a professional. I think when it is used it means more than that, you can turn up, do the bare minimum to get through the day and go home again. I am sure we all know people like that, whatever their line of work and although they get paid for doing their job we probably wouldn’t describe them as professional.

Or you can do the job well, improving you skills and knowledge and taking a real pride in doing the job to the every best of your ability. Now the term professional may not be the correct one to describe that sort of driver, but I think it is about the best we have and most people would take it to mean just that.

SimonRS2K:
you dont hear other trades calling themselves things like a Professional plumber or a Professional mechanic,

I would suggest that is because not everyone can do plumbing or be a mechanic but there are thousands of drivers, of one sort of vehicle or another, and it differentiates between the person who drives to work, the shops or takes the kids to school and those who earn their living behind the wheel.

I can’t say it really bothers me one way or the other, but the one that does get me is when people who are Doctors, Lawyers and the like describe themselves as a “professional person,” as if it in some way makes them better than others.

It allways struck me as a bit daft as well Si, but I can see the point Neil’s making as well, some drivers care a ■■■■ and some dont. I’ll stick to old “theres drivers & theres screwdrivers” explanation, it means the same thing!

Coffeeholic:
but the one that does get me is when people who are Doctors, Lawyers and the like describe themselves as a “professional person,” as if it in some way makes them better than others.

I think they call themselves that because they have letters after there name describing there qualifications but “joe bloggs HGV” doesnt quite sound the same really thats why i think its a bit OTT(Although i do agree with you neil they are up themselves)

As a comparison i drive about 1000 - 1200 miles per week in a truck for my job by definition that makes me a “Professional” so how would a sales rep who drives to meetings all over the country and does say 1200 miles a week be described, would he be a “Professional Salesman” or a “Professional driver” ■■?

simon

SimonRS2K:
how would a sales rep who drives to meetings all over the country and does say 1200 miles a week be described, would he be a “Professional Salesman” or a “Professional driver” ■■?

I would say Salesman, the driving is just an extra to his job, not the main part. He gets paid for selling, often on a commission basis, so no sales = no pay. Doesn’t matter how many miles are driven, he has to make the sales to earn his money.

SimonRS2K:
i just cant figure out why people need to spout the “Professional” word everywhere they go

It’s probably because the general public need reminding that driving is a profession and that drivers deserve the same amount of respect as plumbers etc who are regarded as professionals automatically.

mrpj:
It’s probably because the general public need reminding that driving is a profession and that drivers deserve the same amount of respect as plumbers etc who are regarded as professionals automatically.

I have to disagree with you there mrpj, no one should get respect just because of there profession. Respect is earned, not given. There are many drivers I have the utmost respect for but there are others I wouldn’t give the time of day to, nothing to do with the occupation and everything to do with the person.

mrpj:

SimonRS2K:
i just cant figure out why people need to spout the “Professional” word everywhere they go

So when you get to say a tesco rdc do you call the security bod a “Professional security bod” then book in with the “Professional goods in clerk” then get tipped by the “Professional warehouse man”… didnt think so

See the point is people dont automatically think of plumbers etc as Professional’s they just see them as plumbers and joiners

but for some reason some truckers like to call themselves Professional at every oppertunity its as if they are being done a dis-service if people dont recognise them as “Professional”

simon

I,m a lorry driver, i think cleaners are nice people so its always nice to know i have the same social status as them but at least some people think i am a professional :wink:.

SimonRS2K:
As a comparison i drive about 1000 - 1200 miles per week in a truck
simon

Only on locals then Simon, bummer. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Willy Gofar:

SimonRS2K:
As a comparison i drive about 1000 - 1200 miles per week in a truck
simon

Only on locals then Simon, bummer. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The less miles the better for me thanks :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

simon

It’s not me! Several traffic policeman over the years have told me I’m a professional driver! :wink:

I agree im a trucker,hgv driver ■■■■■■ etc
The only thing im professional at is talking crap,making babies,mowing the lawn,etc etc

bikemonkey:
mowing the lawn,etc etc

What you doing tomorrow afternoon? :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

bikemonkey:
mowing the lawn,etc etc

What you doing tomorrow afternoon? :wink: :smiley:

Mowing the lawn,and maybe ,i might act professionally in some way in my shed also:wink: :laughing: :laughing:

As soon as I hear people bleating on about being a proper “proffesional” truck driver I just turn off and try and ignore them, especially as a lot of these guys who claim to be such have never driven anything but a super market box wagon since passing their test and would be totally lost on a tilt, powder tanker, skeleton trailer or flat bed with roping and sheeting. In my opinion it just comes down to ego. I personally don’t care in the slightest what others think of me, all that matters is that I know I can do my job, what others think is irrelivent, apart from maybe my employers ofcourse.

“drive”

As in be about 10 minutes’ " drive "

liar’s :laughing: :laughing:

i do not have that problem.
but,you are long enough in that bussines and will know that there some like in each Job who have problem to understand what they are doing.
i know one who never knows what he shall do.He always ask the Officeperson.He means he is a Professional and just the Office can tell him what he has to do.
Never ask him anything about the Law as he has no own meaning in knowing anything the office did not tell him.

How about “vocational driver” :confused:

spaceman:
How about “vocational driver” :confused:

?you are Lorry driver or not
if yes will you have to do your Job,if no will you not by in need of doing so