Professional drivers

To call any driver a ‘professional’ is just stating the profession of that person, if you are actually refering to ‘Expert’ then there is no such thing. Expertise is something we all aim at but never will achieve, we learn something new every day on the road. I have been driving trucks since 1975 in the UK, Europe and the USA and in no way do I consider myself an expert and anyone who thinks they are is dreaming.
Because some bloke is stuck out in the middle lane due to the fact that his limiter will not allow him to get by, doesn’t mean he is in any way unprofessional, rather it means you are unprofessional for not reducing speed and letting him pull back in.

Well im sorry to say all old drivers are dinosaurs but thats the way alot of old hands come a cross stuck in the past yeh some instrucktors will only take you round the test route but my grate uncles test was drive round the block a test only give you a right to lurn and with the road conditions we have now you have to lurn fast. So now I think we are all professional in our own areas some of us can rope and sheet some can live in a low cab car transporter we all see it diffrentley take me my uncle is 70 odd and still tramps my cousin has his own fleet and me beeing the youngun has a lot to live up to.

I’m not a professional,I just do it for a living. c1975

Its a certain mindset that makes a bad driver , how often do you find yourself in car/truck and the road goes from 2 lanes into 1 and there is always some chimp who will not give way and has to be in front of you to the point of what i consider bullying the way in , does it really matter if your one car behind just merge nicely , these are the people who are bad drivers having the mind set , my journey is so much important than yours ,
many a time i find myself at traffic lights right behind the guy/girl who has forced themselves forward , they arnt any further on than me and probably used twice as much aggression and energy to get there ,
just need a bit of courtesy for each other and driving would be so much more pleasurable .

jx

newmercman:
I’m usually one of the first to come out with the cliche ‘It was better in the old days’ and looking at it realistically it was in some ways, professionalism was part of the job, now it isn’t.

There are two factors in that, the first is that drivers now have it very easy, the lorries are so much better, after the foreign invasion shhok things up, for years and years they evolved very slowly, an F10 was a little bit better than an F88, a 111 was a little bit better than a 110, a C series ERF was a little bit better than a B series etc etc etc.

All of a sudden things have come on leaps and bounds. Comparing a lorry from 1970 to a lorry from 1990 is like comparing a record player to a Walkman, comparing a lorry from 1990 to today’s lorries is like comparing the Walkman to an I-Pod, push one little button and it does everything you want it to do.

This has meant that a lot of the skills that went towards professionalism have disappeared, because they’re not needed anymore. gearboxes are always a popular topic to set of the old boys, but be honest, why do you need to be able to make clutchless changes with a 13spd Fuller, when the lorry you drive has an autoshift?

Roping and sheeting has almost disappeared, so what good does it do a driver to know how to do a double dolly spreader, when they pull a curtainsider?

There are many other ‘skills’ that have been lost due to technology making them obsolete, this has always happened though, it’s part of progression, drivers on here who wax lyrical about the good old days never had the ‘skills’ of the real old timers, in the far distant past, shovelling coal and getting a boiler steamed up properly was part of the job, before that it was looking out for your horse, the times change and you have to change with them.

The main cause of frustration on the roads is caused by two things, firstly it is society in general, today people want it all and they want it all right now, anyone who gets in their way is a nuisance, lorry drivers are no different to anybody else. The speed limiter issue has been debated to death, but to be completely honest we all, as red blooded lorry drivers, have a thing for speed, we put Ferrari posters on our walls, not Toyota Prius posters, we all get a buzz out of a bit of belting along, which is why most drive on the limiter and continue to do so on 50mph D/Cs and 40mph S/Cs, it’s testosterone and before any do gooders say that I’m being sexist, I’m not, most women lorry drivers I’ve seen have got plenty of testosterone coursing through their veins :laughing:

Second and the biggest thing in my opinion, is the big companies and their ridiculous health and safety ■■■■■■■■, everything is dumbed down to the point where the driver has no input in anything, so what little ‘skills’ drivers have left will be lost forever within a few years.

Oh and the internet makes things seem a lot worse than they are, now when a driver makes a balls up, it’s posted on trucknet within minutes and thousands of drivers get to hear about it, this makes things seem far worse than they are :bulb:

That about sums it up, technology has dumbed the job down … maybe in 20 or 40 years there wont even be drivers, everything will be computer operated … if you think im full of ■■■■■ then look what we have today in cars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nYhKD8leAg&feature=related

how many of these old bollocker so called proffesional hgv drivers actually passed a test to do the job
lets face it the test years ago was a piece of ■■■■
any prat could pass
what was the pass rate years ago ,
practically 99 per cent i would guess
for army blokes the fail rate was nil per cent
not like nowadays
these blokes who have been doing the job for 30 odd years look down on new drivers
not realising what people have to go through nowadays to get the license

villa:
how many of these old bollocker so called proffesional hgv drivers actually passed a test to do the job
any prat could pass
not like nowadays
these blokes who have been doing the job for 30 odd years look down on new drivers

Remember what I was saying about attitudes a couple of posts back :question:

FAIL :unamused:

villa:
any prat could pass
not like nowadays

Not got the faintest idea merchant banker

villa:
any prat could pass
not like nowadays

There are very few still driving who acquired their licences through “grandfather” rights and most of them
will be beyond retirement age.
What

people have to go through nowadays to get the license

is no harder than it was
in 1974, when I took my test, there’s just more ■■■■■■■■.
My lessons and test cost me £55 but my weekly wage was £15.

Once I had passed my test was when I started to learn how to drive a lorry.
I was greatly helped by listening to and being shown what to do by “old bollockers” who had forgotten
more than I would ever know.
With an attitude like yours, I guess you never will, as there will be no one qualified enough to give you advice
to which you will listen.

Regards,
Nick

villa:
any prat could pass
not like nowadays

Speaking as an old bollocker :laughing: :laughing:, you are right, you only failed if you done something serious, I failed mine because the horse collapsed cos I forgot to water it. :neutral_face:

newmercman:

Grundril:

bald bloke:
I’m convinced the lack of professionalism is due to the fact that nowadays some drivers are only driving due to the fact that they got made redundant or didn’t know what else to do for a job and not a lot of people are taking it up as a career.
Therefore some of the drivers who are kind of forced into it as such don’t always show as much professionalism as the drivers who took it up as a career.
Hope you understood that ok.

I noticed the avatar, what part of Devon do you live in? :laughing:

Typical ABU! :grimacing: bet you’re a " SITEE " fan from Gloucester :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Fatboy slimslow:

newmercman:

Grundril:

bald bloke:
I’m convinced the lack of professionalism is due to the fact that nowadays some drivers are only driving due to the fact that they got made redundant or didn’t know what else to do for a job and not a lot of people are taking it up as a career.
Therefore some of the drivers who are kind of forced into it as such don’t always show as much professionalism as the drivers who took it up as a career.
Hope you understood that ok.

I noticed the avatar, what part of Devon do you live in? :laughing:

Typical ABU! :grimacing: bet you’re a " SITEE " fan from Gloucester :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Not me mate, my Grandad was from Southgate, so we’re a Tottenham family :blush:

robroy:

villa:
any prat could pass
not like nowadays

Speaking as an old bollocker :laughing: :laughing:, you are right, you only failed if you done something serious, I failed mine because the horse collapsed cos I forgot to water it. :neutral_face:

aye yer right there pal. That bugger failed me for being early :open_mouth:

Apparently I turned up before they invented the wheel :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

robroy:

villa:
any prat could pass
not like nowadays

aye yer right there pal. That bugger failed me for being early :open_mouth:

Apparently I turned up before they invented the wheel :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ncooper:

villa:
any prat could pass
not like nowadays

There are very few still driving who acquired their licences through “grandfather” rights and most of them
will be beyond retirement age.
What

people have to go through nowadays to get the license

is no harder than it was
in 1974, when I took my test, there’s just more [zb].
My lessons and test cost me £55 but my weekly wage was £15.

Once I had passed my test was when I started to learn how to drive a lorry.
I was greatly helped by listening to and being shown what to do by “old bollockers” who had forgotten
more than I would ever know.
With an attitude like yours, I guess you never will, as there will be no one qualified enough to give you advice
to which you will listen.

Regards,
Nick

i’m with ncooper.
for me i started to learn to drive a truck the day i passed my test in 1993.
i’m still learning now, i take abit of pride in what i do, and am always prepared to listen to others, (as long as there not from the been there, seen it done it brigade.)
i did my lessons on a straight 6, 1st truck i drove once i’d passed was an eaton twin splitter, followed by a merc with a crap e.p.s box.
i hate to admit that despite a variety of jobs, to most of europe and beyond, i’ve never roped and sheeted, i
am crap with knots so wouldn’t know where to start. well, i would actually, i’d ask someone for help, wouldn’t matter if they were 21, or 71, if they knew what they were talking about, and were prepared to help, then i’d gladly listen.
over the years i have learned so much from old hands, and young alike and am grateful, and would return the favour when and wherever possible, the day i stop doing that, or think i already know it all, is the day i prove my lack of “proffesionalism”

Without the old bollockers where will new drivers get the vital up to date information on how much VOSA are fining for landing legs not fully wound up and the fine per curtain buckle not done up properly?

Or what to do when a chalk box has been drawn around the lorry.

robroy:
Yeh point taken Mr B, it’s no fun being an old ■■■■, (but to be fair I’m only 53, and still 33 in me head :laughing: .) I didn’t intend to start an old driver v young driver thing, but assuming you aren’t as old and past it as me :laughing: , do you not agree with the driver to driver bad attitude with a lot of drivers today, even some of the older ones.

Im an idealistic and youthful 44 who’s so far fought the natural tendency to become old and bitter but I’m sure another 2 licence renewals will beat that out off me :frowning:
Things aren’t what they was and that was always the case. Young drivers today don’t know how it was done back in the day because they don’t need to.
Technology has created a world where every minute can and is scrutinised.
People are too busy chasing impossible deadlines so short-cuts are found to make it possible.
I just don’t think it’s fair to point the finger at the young who’ve only found new ways to cope with the world the old have created.

Angus25 … You need some more schooling… Not to drive but to learn how to spell, your post is disgracefull :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Villa … You have no idea what the test was like years ago, I took mine and it involved 30 minutes reversing around and obstical course plus a steep hill start and we didn’t have modern things such as automatic take off to lift the revs as the clutch was lifted. The road course was anything from 2 -3 hours in a city center, if you so much as touched a curb or crossed a line you failed. Don’t refer to drivers who know more than you as 'Old Bollockers you cheeky kid.

:laughing: :laughing:

I had a head start by going out with the old man when I was a kid. Went all over the place, far and wide and learnt how to stack, rope and sheet etc before I could reach the pedals. Then he taught me how to reverse, etc. Got my class one on grandad rights and although I could already get an artic going, change gear etc, I still consider my first day out on my own to be when I first started learning how to drive properly. I’d say Robroys post is about right. No need to disrespect youngsters/newbies as some have done, just that they live in a different world. I think us lot are luckier to have had all the different gearboxes to learn on and not have all the bs that’s around nowadays. I wouldn’t have a clue how to use any sort of tacho’.

Pat Hasler:
Angus25 … You need some more schooling… Not to drive but to learn how to spell, your post is disgracefull :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Villa … You have no idea what the test was like years ago, I took mine and it involved 30 minutes reversing around AND OBSTICAL course plus a steep hill start and we didn’t have modern things such as automatic take off to lift the revs as the clutch was lifted. The road course was anything from 2 -3 hours in a city center, if you so much as touched a curb or cossed a line you failed. Don’t refer to drivers who know more than you as 'Old Bollockers you cheeky kid.

:laughing: :laughing:

Maybe you should check your own spelling Mr Smartarse?

And what is “cossed”? Is it something that only professional drivers know about?