PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS? Scary when

you see two or three drivers from the same company driving in convoy together and only a tow ropes distance apart!! Driving along the M40 the other night i couldnt believe how close these two double deck drivers were to each other as you couldnt even fit a tractor unit between them. You see this everyday on our motorways and it makes me cringe when i see this :unamused: Is it just me? your thoughts please

colin.f.whitetrans:
you see two or three drivers from the same company driving in convoy together and only a tow ropes distance apart!! Driving along the M40 the other night i couldnt believe how close these two double deck drivers were to each other as you couldnt even fit a tractor unit between them. You see this everyday on our motorways and it makes me cringe when i see this :unamused: Is it just me? your thoughts please

You not been driving very long then â– â– 

I wonder what they would say if they got asked why they do it ?

ROG:
I wonder what they would say if they got asked why they do it ?

Er fuel saving wind drag… If I keep closer to him my washers dont freeze… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Me reckons take the licence away Rog i have no regaurd for numpties like that

had to laugh a couple of months ago on the 62 at the top of windy hill going into the roadworks,where 2 renault units from the same company running bobtail,the front 1 braked for the traffic jam,the rear one didnt and promptly went up his mates backside knocking him into a field.the joys of tailgating :laughing:

I used to drive too close in my younger days in the belief that I was in full control and could stop in time :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I also had the ‘that bit of tarmac in front is mine and no-one else is going to have it’ mentality :exclamation:

It was only after a few near misses and seeing others that had rear ended that I changed my attitude and thinking

Taking extra training & passing my class 1 HGV artic test also woke me up to the realities of many driving faults I had including driving too close

Nowadays I do not care about someone jumping into the bit of tarmac in front when I leave a large gap - I just re-adjust :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

My trucks not the fastest of trucks but it boils my pee when I get a faster truck come barrelling up behind and sit right on my tail, even when theres ample oppertunity to overtake, I cant understand why they feel the need to try and push me along but I guess the effort to mirror signal manovure is just too much for some. How tempting it is to slam on the brakes but I usually find putting the hazards on and showing my brake lights finally forces them to back off or overtake, get plenty of signs as they pass but never a thankyou for saving their job/life if the worst had happened.

nick2008:

colin.f.whitetrans:

You not been driving very long then â– â– 

Doesnt matter how long you have been driving and i have since 96 but i still cant understand for the life of me when you have two drivers from the same company going to the same destination tailgatting each other, even more so in the conditions we had the other night :exclamation:

As I’ve got older the gap I keep has gotten longer. Top peeve is being sent out in convoy, just the thought of having to follow someone or having them trailing does my noodle in. So I usually try to get out of the yard before them or just give them full directions and send them off as I have ‘something to do first’. As for double manning… :smiling_imp: I put it down to being an antisocial old bugger who enjoys his own company :slight_smile:

Harry Kyng:
As I’ve got older the gap I keep has gotten longer. Top peeve is being sent out in convoy, just the thought of having to follow someone or having them trailing does my noodle in. So I usually try to get out of the yard before them or just give them full directions and send them off as I have ‘something to do first’. As for double manning… :smiling_imp: I put it down to being an antisocial old bugger who enjoys his own company :slight_smile:

harry, my words exactly. i really dont hang about and if they can keep up then good for them but otherwise il be in front and just ignore them anyway and do my own thing.

colin.f.whitetrans:

did they have palletways on em by any chance?

Grayham:
My trucks not the fastest of trucks but it boils my pee when I get a faster truck come barrelling up behind and sit right on my tail, even when theres ample oppertunity to overtake, I cant understand why they feel the need to try and push me along but I guess the effort to mirror signal manovure is just too much for some. How tempting it is to slam on the brakes but I usually find putting the hazards on and showing my brake lights finally forces them to back off or overtake, get plenty of signs as they pass but never a thankyou for saving their job/life if the worst had happened.

the reason why could be is the silly sod is waiting for you to catch up with someone slightly slower,then as you get near pull out alongside blockin you in,hey presto,passed two or more in one rotton manouver(spelt wrong?)poxy â– â– â– â– â–  limiters,used to have an fh with a special switch in it and when one would try that on me would wait till they were about to pull out then floor it n leave em standin,only if they were being silly in that way though,tryin to mess me up.

propa lorry:

colin.f.whitetrans:

did they have palletways on em by any chance?

Yeah it was a pallet distibution crowd but i wont say which one. Maybe the driver at the back didnt want to get lost?

My truck is limited to 52 mph…it even has a sticker on the rear of the trailer that clearly tells everyone this…yet i still get other trucks sitting right on my tail, cutting in the second their trailer has passed me etc

I understand it must be frustrating to sit behind me for any length of time…but it’s not my fault…i have no say in the matter.

What i will say though is that unless i am running at or near to maximum weight, it will sit at 52 up most if not all gradients and if i have cruise control on, it will pick up to 58 before the cc decides to bang the exhaust brake in…so out of courtesy, i do find myself knocking the cc off, especially uphill, to avoid stranding overtaking trucks out in the middle lane…not always, but sometimes.
If you know your truck slows to 50’ish going uphill, then plan your overtakes better!

propa lorry:

Grayham:

the reason why could be is the silly sod is waiting for you to catch up with someone slightly slower,then as you get near pull out alongside blockin you in,hey presto,passed two or more in one rotton manouver(spelt wrong?)poxy [zb] limiters,used to have an fh with a special switch in it and when one would try that on me would wait till they were about to pull out then floor it n leave em standin,only if they were being silly in that way though,tryin to mess me up.

I don’t mind if it’s on a clear stretch of motorway I’ll ease off behind the slower vehicle (as long as it’s not too slow) and let the faster motor past then pull out behind, it’s when your waiting for traffic in lane 2 to pass, you’ve got your indicator flashing away and as a gap the appears the zb behind jumps in and blocks you in, unless their blind they know you’ve been indicating but see it as an oppertunity to overtake :imp:

colin.f.whitetrans:

Front wagon is probably faster so the second wants to slipstream to get a bit more speed :grimacing:

colin.f.whitetrans:
‘… two or three drivers … only a tow ropes distance apart … You see this everyday …’

Of those of us also interested and who also ‘flash in’ - which side of the ‘two/four-second rule’ might we generally do it on?

Too early and it perhaps:

Perpetuates the syndrome.
Reduces a quality of life to be free of arse-ache.
Requires extra concentration to ‘cover the brake’ whilst one’s viz is slashed to bits, etc

Too late and you’re arguably considered an uncivilised & antisocial ■■■■■.

dosn’t bother me, it dosn’t affect me.

Happy Keith:

colin.f.whitetrans:
‘… two or three drivers … only a tow ropes distance apart … You see this everyday …’

Of those of us also interested and who also ‘flash in’ - which side of the ‘two/four-second rule’ might we generally do it on?

Too early and it perhaps:

Perpetuates the syndrome.
Reduces a quality of life to be free of arse-ache.
Requires extra concentration to ‘cover the brake’ whilst one’s viz is slashed to bits, etc

Too late and you’re arguably considered an uncivilised & antisocial ■■■■■.

these days you barely get a chance to decide, once they’ve passed your cab it’s usually an ‘accidental’ swerve/lunge into your lane and if they haven’t forced you onto the hard shoulder then it’s ok to pull back in :unamused: