Professional drivers and speed limits

I’m not sure I’d like to live a life where I was so perfect I could sit in the internet and pick on absolutely everything done by others…

For the record I sit st 53mph normally. If stuff is behind me… ah well… if it can get past I’ll let it by, but it doesn’t bother me enough to pass comment on it.

toonsy:
I’m not sure I’d like to live a life where I was so perfect I could sit in the internet and pick on absolutely everything some by others…

I’m not perfect. Just don’t find it hard to read a number in a read circle and then ensure my vehicle doesn’t exceed that number. Basics of being a professional driver really ain’t it.

I’m not talking about cruising on motorways either. 30s and 40s is where drivers seem incapable. Maybe it’s too much for them to do anything more than press resume on the cruise control button up to 56 mph.

Rowley010:

toonsy:
I’m not sure I’d like to live a life where I was so perfect I could sit in the internet and pick on absolutely everything some by others…

I’m not perfect. Just don’t find it hard to read a number in a read circle and then ensure my vehicle doesn’t exceed that number. Basics of being a professional driver really ain’t it.

I edited my post to add a bit…

Maybe it’s just me but I dont particularly care what anyone else gets up to. Call it a bubble syndrome if you like. I look after my stuff and the rest can look after themselves.

Rowley010:

tachograph:

What is it with professional drivers inability to stick to speed limits?

As long as they’re driving safely I don’t see an issue.

Most ridiculous statement of 2019 there.

Why exactly is it ridiculous ?

Rowley010:

tachograph:

he has a point though…

tachograph:

Rowley010:

tachograph:

You’ve no exemptions like emergency services to go over the speed limit. What qualifies you to deem it’s safe to exceed it? As a professional driver it should be about taking pride in being the better driver and sticking to the rules. Shall we stay in a lane that’s got a red x but it’s ok if your personal opinion deems it to be safe? Shall we start going through red lights because your personal opinion seems it to be safe? Shall we just generally sack off most of the rules of the road as long as you deem it safe?

Well my opinion is that a pallet track double decker being driven more than likely by someone who couldn’t care less with no advanced driving training isnt safe to be throwing it round at 40-50mph through a 30mph limit.

Not sure if this has been on here before, but it’s still relevant, especially as its in nice, easy to understand language

Rowley010:
You’ve no exemptions like emergency services to go over the speed limit. What qualifies you to deem it’s safe to exceed it? As a professional driver it should be about taking pride in being the better driver and sticking to the rules. Shall we stay in a lane that’s got a red x but it’s ok if your personal opinion deems it to be safe? Shall we start going through red lights because your personal opinion seems it to be safe? Shall we just generally sack off most of the rules of the road as long as you deem it safe?

Well my opinion is that a pallet track double decker being driven more than likely by someone who couldn’t care less with no advanced driving training isnt safe to be throwing it round at 40-50mph through a 30mph limit.

Of course I’m not suggesting that it’s OK to ignore all the rules of the road, what I’m saying is that just because someone is doing a few mph over the posted speed limit doesn’t necessarily make them a bad driver any-more than sticking rigidly to the rules makes you a good or safe driver.

If you’re spending your time worrying about other people not sticking rigidly to the speed limits I’d say you’re probably more of a liability than someone doing a few mph over the limit in a safe place and concentrating on what they’re doing.

As others have said, as long as other people are driving safely you drive your vehicle and leave other people to drive theirs.

By the way, I’m not having a dig at emergency service drivers because most of them are good, but I was one forced to drive onto the pavement by the driver of an oncoming fire engine who thought his “exemption” was more important than my safety :unamused:

If you cant get the back end of a unit out when no pulling the you arent a pro driver in my eyes.

Rowley010:

cgscott:
Quicker you go the quicker you finish. Simple logic.

Just you keep plodding along and mind your own business. Thankyou.

Don’t worry I will keep plodding on minding my own business keeping all the professional drivers behind me at the speed limit winding them all up as I do. Really they shouldn’t be professional drivers if they get wound up at actually driving at a speed limit should they, in the wrong job if you ask me.

I was with you up to a point until you came over all self righteous, and admitting that one of your motives was to wind up other drivers, that makes you almost as bad as those that are speeding in my book.
I ain’t surprised Jakey agreed with you either tbh…any opportunity. :unamused:

I know your question is rhetorical but there are a number of different reasons.
Late, wanting to get home, succumbing to pressure, or even in a lot of cases simply being a bit thick.
I try and stick to limits on the whole but like everybody else (apart from you and Jake) none of us are perfect.
When it encroaches on my personal safety, or it is just simply mindless blatancy causing a danger to others, ok then I start concerning myself to a degree, otherwise I don’t really care.
If it bothers you sooo much…join the Police. :bulb:

tachograph:

Rowley010:

tachograph:

What is ridiculous is that most drivers are not capable of deciding whether it’s safe or not. Their main interest is getting from A to B as quickly as possible without any thought of others safety.
Let me give you a little (true) scenario. Driver driving at 35 in a 30 limit late at night with no other traffic about. Probably thinking they are quite safe. Suddenly a kid runs out from in between parked vehicles and said driver hits them causing serious injury. Most speed limits are there for a very good reason and there would be utter mayhem if drivers decided when it was safe to speed or not.

robroy:

Rowley010:

cgscott:
Quicker you go the quicker you finish. Simple logic.

Just you keep plodding along and mind your own business. Thankyou.

Don’t worry I will keep plodding on minding my own business keeping all the professional drivers behind me at the speed limit winding them all up as I do. Really they shouldn’t be professional drivers if they get wound up at actually driving at a speed limit should they, in the wrong job if you ask me.

I was with you up to a point until you came over all self righteous, and admitting that one of your motives was to wind up other drivers, that makes you almost as bad as those that are speeding in my book.

Late, wanting to get home, succumbing to pressure, or even in a lot of cases simply being a bit thick.
I try and stick to limits on the whole but like everybody else (apart from you and Jake) none of us are perfect.
When it encroaches on my personal safety, or it is just simply mindless blatancy causing a danger to others, ok then I start concerning myself to a degree, otherwise I don’t really care.

No rob, I’m not trying to wind others up. I’m saying if me keeping to the speed limit does wind others up it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Subtle difference.

Also there is a difference to straying a couple of mph over and then correcting yourself (no I’m not perfect and yes I do that) to being in a 30, and someone way back catching you up quickly and then driving 2 inches from the back of your trailer trying to bully you forward faster. Again a subtle difference. One is a mistake that is corrected, the other is a blatant disregard for speed limits and expecting others in front of your to also have the same attitude as you and then getting wound up when they want to stick the limit.

Let’s add a bit of maths into it.

The bit up the A34 from cannock to Stafford where I was last night is 30mph for let’s say 5 miles. It’s less than that before it increases for 50 but let’s say 5 miles as a worse case.

Driving at 30mph for those 5 miles takes 10 minutes using a speed distance time calculation.

Now if you choose to speed, the most you would probably average is about 40mph given all the parked cars, roundabouts, and speed cameras to slow down for. And that would require you to get up to 50mph in some parts in a 30mph limit to get an average of 40mph over the 5 miles. So your average would probably be less.

The same 5 miles at an average of 40mph takes 7 mins 30 seconds.

So, your getting so wound about behind someone who doesn’t share your wish to speed for a total saving of 2 mins 30 seconds out of your day. Really?

None of us are perfect however being perfect has nothing to do with it. It’s all about self control and having a regard for others safety.

[/quote]
What is ridiculous is that most drivers are not capable of deciding whether it’s safe or not. Their main interest is getting from A to B as quickly as possible without any thought of others safety.
Let me give you a little (true) scenario. Driver driving at 35 in a 30 limit late at night with no other traffic about. Probably thinking they are quite safe. Suddenly a kid runs out from in between parked vehicles and said driver hits them causing serious injury. Most speed limits are there for a very good reason and there would be utter mayhem if drivers decided when it was safe to speed or not.
[/quote]
Exactly. Most drivers apply no real thought process and hazard perception when they decide it’s safe to speed. They just press the right pedal and deal with a hazard as it happens, rather than dealing with a hazard before it happens. Difference between 30mph and 35mph over 5 miles is less than 1 and half minutes. Not worth is it really? We are all driving on a public road with hazards, not trying to shave the last few split seconds off a Nurburgring lap time.

jakethesnake:

On the other hand I know of one way streets with 2 lanes and a 20 mph speed limit that nearly everyone ignores, and when I say nearly everyone I mean the police ambulance and fire services, buses, literally nearly everyone, you know why people ignore those speed limits, because it’s perfectly safe to do 30 mph and everyone knows it.

Sorry but the idea that you cannot be a professional driver unless you stick rigidly to the speed limits is nonsense, it should never be purely about textbook driving it should be about driving safely.

[/quote]

[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
minutes saved mean vast differences to your day or week depending on what type of work your doing.
1 minute can mean a missed boat,leading to no uninterrupted sleep,or getting home in time for your day off.
if these road warrior plobbers were so concerned about everyone elses safety then they would realise that speed limits are obsolete and outdated targets to be wildly ignored as much as possible if you are capable of battering on safely.( in your own opinion)
the only aspect of that practice of being unsafe is when some road commander plobber sits exactly on the limit causing tailbacks and frustration leading to reckless overtaking caused only by the herbert in fronts driving without consideration to other road users.
instead of being snug in the security of their cab assuming someone wont overtake,stop,drag them out,beat them to a pulp after throwing their keys over a hedge,they might consider the option of pulling in and letting the held up queue of normal drivers pass.
these plobbers are usually the ones that sit at 40 on a single roads,then nail it on the dual sections.
if you are incapable of safely driving at increased speeds regarding road conditions,then best you keep out of the way of others who can and let them get on with their day.
this aspect of action could also be read as " ■■■■ off out of the way and mind your own business."

it wont be hard to work out who reckons who is to blame in this 1st clip.
the other one is just flung in for good measure as i love it and it is absolute class and a fine example of the craic on the 75. :unamused:

youtube.com/watch?v=cU1CweyXf9c

facebook.com/matt.halliday1 … 217376887/

dieseldog999:

[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
minutes saved mean vast differences to your day or week depending on what type of work your doing.
1 minute can mean a missed boat,leading to no uninterrupted sleep,or getting home in time for your day off.
if these road warrior plobbers were so concerned about everyone elses safety then they would realise that speed limits are obsolete and outdated targets to be wildly ignored as much as possible if you are capable of battering on safely.( in your own opinion)
the only aspect of that practice of being unsafe is when some road commander plobber sits exactly on the limit causing tailbacks and frustration leading to reckless overtaking caused only by the herbert in fronts driving without consideration to other road users.
instead of being snug in the security of their cab assuming someone wont overtake,stop,drag them out,beat them to a pulp after throwing their keys over a hedge,they might consider the option of pulling in and letting the held up queue of normal drivers pass.
these plobbers are usually the ones that sit at 40 on a single roads,then nail it on the dual sections.
if you are incapable of safely driving at increased speeds regarding road conditions,then best you keep out of the way of others who can and let them get on with their day.
this aspect of action could also be read as " ■■■■ off out of the way and mind your own business."

it wont be hard to work out who reckons who is to blame in this 1st clip.
the other one is just flung in for good measure as i love it and it is absolute class and a fine example of the craic on the 75. :unamused:

youtube.com/watch?v=cU1CweyXf9c

facebook.com/matt.halliday1 … 217376887/
[/quote]
Your attitude in that case stinks and doesn’t deserve any more of a reply than that. Speed limits are obsolete right ok then :unamused:

“beat me to a pulp” as you put it just for keeping to a speed limit? Now who’s professional?

tachograph:

jakethesnake:

On the other hand I know of one way streets with 2 lanes and a 20 mph speed limit that nearly everyone ignores, and when I say nearly everyone I mean the police ambulance and fire services, buses, literally nearly everyone, you know why people ignore those speed limits, because it’s perfectly safe to do 30 mph and everyone knows it.

Sorry but the idea that you cannot be a professional driver unless you stick rigidly to the speed limits is nonsense, it should never be purely about textbook driving it should be about driving safely.

Fair enough, that’s your opinion. I can agree with you about 20 limits. Back in the UK almost everyone ignores them as you say. Does not make it right though, it just shows the lack of self control amongst drivers.
I can think of 20 limits near schools back home which most ignore but if a kid is knocked down people are up in arms about dangerous speeding drivers. Hypocrites of the biggest level.

tachograph:

jakethesnake:

But then is it right to try and bully someone into going faster if they choose to keep to the limit? Not under it, just stick to it? Is it worth getting wound up if someone doesn’t choose to speed? This is the point I’m trying to make really.