Problems in Calais as from Monday 14/02/2005

After boarding HMS bring you back to Dover today :smiley: , I struck up some social ■■■■■■■■■■■ with loading personel, they informed me :open_mouth: due to the accident on Tuesday when a link span collapsed whilst a boat was discharging :blush: , that as from Monday 14/02/2005 French officials will be inspecting the the only working link spans (which their are only two) to make sure they are (excuse the pun) ship shape and :wink: ■■■■■ fashion.

They will be checked one at a time,according to the seaman & this will take approx. 3 days, at the moment with two spans in operation their are approx. 3 to 4 hour delays, as you will appreciate with only ONE !!! span in operation delays will be severe :imp: to say the least.

I take it that the shuttle will be doing extra trains to cater for the extra

customers they will be getting, due to the delays,

I’ve been trying to find some info on the linkspan failure, but the only reference to it is on Fairplay International Shipping, which is a subscription website.

Does anyone have any details?

Vince

Vince — I went Calais /Dover yesterday. The delay was 4 hrs. I did see a damaged truck on the quayside but, as usual, there wasn’t any info about why we were delayed. It was a bit windy coming down the corridor, so I just assumed it was a bad weather day in the channel.

Eventually got boarded — it did seem a bit strange that they were spacing the trucks out a bit more than usual ie one at a time going onto the ramp, and that was to get onto the bottom deck.

Had the usual jolly moan at the crew in the restaurant, shouldn’t have to pay for a meal because of the delay etc. — It was a freight only P&O boat, so a bit more chilled / relaxed.

This was at 13:00, and that boat had only made one crossing that day because of the delays — apparently, the drivers on the Dover /Calais leg were really miffed at sitting outside Calais for hrs!

The crew told us about the ramp collapsing — they said two trucks had gone in the drink, and a Spanish driver was in a bad way. They also said, in a separate incident, one of the Sea France boats had lost part of its “gate” (don’t know what that means) in the channel and had been taken out of service.

Got back to the UK, and Radio 2 were mentioning berthing problems at Calais (big chuckle for them birthing v berthing!)

Got on the internet this morning to see what I could find out about it — absolutely B A, apart from a delay warning on the Sea France site. Being an ex insurance bod, I went onto the Lloyds List site and found the following:-

"FERRY services between Dover and Calais were thrown into disarray after the partial collapse of a ramp at the port of Calais on Tuesday night.

Two lorry drivers, one Hungarian and one Portuguese, and a port crane driver suffered slight injuries after one side of the lower level of the double-deck number seven ramp collapsed when a support cable ruptured.

Two lorries, which were disembarking from P&O’s Pride of Burgundy shortly before 10.00pm on Tuesday, fell on to their sides on the ramp and, according to one report, the cabin of one of the vehicles finished underwater.

While the cause of the accident is being investigated the loss of number seven ramp is causing serious disruption of ferry services at the port.

Out of the five ramps now available at the port, two — numbers four and six — are being repaired, and a third — number three — can only accommodate smaller vessels. The port was believed to be on the point of announcing, moreover, that this latter ramp would be closed so that its support cables could be checked and replaced.

This means that the port’s two ferry operators, P&O and SeaFrance, will be left to share the only two large ferry ramps — numbers five and eight — still in service.

The two companies said yesterday that they were doing their best to limit disruption. However, ferry services were running three hours late in some cases as vessels were obliged to queue outside the port before getting access to a ramp for disembarkation"

I’ve got another four crossings to do this month — will have to allow more time and/or use the train!

Arrived in Dover Friday lunchtime around 1.30pm,at that time the queue was only just inside the dock entrance,it then took me over an hour to get to the ticket booth.The most annoying thing then was seeing all the freight traffic being held back whilst they let the cars and coaches through,well it is half term and there were hundreds of screaming kids going sking.
Once booked in I was told I was on the 18.10 P&O,which sailed at 18.30.
As we approached Calais we were told that the ship on our berth would be another 45min before it sailed,so we eventually docked at 21.00,then it took another 30min or so to get off,one vehicle at a time on the ramp.
Calais however was dead,there were probably only a dozen or so trucks waiting to cross.
I heard all sorts of rumours as to the cause of the problems,one person said one of the French dockers lost a leg when a mooring rope snapped,someone else said a driver broke an ankle as he leapt from his cab as the ramp collapsed.

One of our Calais drivers told me yesterday that a driver was killed, I hope he got that wrong :cry:

I wondered why there was such a rush for Cherbourg the other night, We had trucks on the waiting list for 3 sailings, where normally we have an almost guaranteed crossing either for trailers or self drive :exclamation:

It looks like they are still parking lorrys up on the M20 between

junctions-11–12 so there is still aa long waiting time,

URGENT ADVICE 0600HRS 14TH FEB 2005: OUR VESSEL PRIDE OF BURGUNDY HAS CAUGHT A WIRE AROUND ITS PROPELLER AT THE ONLY BERTH AVAILABLE IN THE PORT OF CALAIS. THIS HAS RESULTED IN THE VESSEL UNABLE TO MOVE AND EFFECTIVELY CLOSED THE PORT FOR P&O SERVICES. 3 OF OUR VESSELS HAVE RETURNED TO DOVER AND DISCHARGED TRAFFIC. WE ARE AWAITING DIVERS TO ASSESS THE PROBLEM BUT THIS IS PROVING DIFFICULT WITH 40-50 KNOT WINDS PREVAILING AT THE PORT. ALL TRAFFIC IS BEING HELD AT DOVER. . :frowning:

Me and mine were on the boat affected. One French dock worker had to jump into the water to avoid being hurt as it happened-hit his head bad-hospital. Later found out everyone o.k. The box trailer leaning on top, apparently had paint on-undecleared. The driver walked out over his truck. The truck it was leaning on was a low loader. The driver had to swim out. Severely shocked. The trailer was still part on the ferry. The ferry crew thought he said he had a passenger (not decleared), wasn’t true. The crew thought they saw smoke coming from one of the trucks cabs, didn’t last long. The French ended up chaining the back of the low loader trailer to the bump stops so the ferry could reverse out and onto another berth. 3 hour delay. 37 trucks stuck on the bottom deck. If I had been driving off, we would have been next on the ramp. ‘she’ didn’t want to drive between the rows. Sorry to go on, and sorry it has taken me so long to put this up. I have a photo I am trying to put up too. Be another week probably, so watch that space. Chris.

Finally got home tonight and came running to the phone jac. here it is - hopefully…

Thank goodness, enjoy…

edited by Rikki to get the picture showing in the post

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: Jeeeeez :open_mouth: