Problem!

Looking at purchasing a second vehicle ready for the harvest season but currently only have o licence for one vehicle/trailer. I do have an application in to raise this to 3 but at the moment there seems to be alot of secondhand trucks about to my spec and price range.

I think I know the answer already but just seeking advice/shortcuts to consider should a truck come up that I want. I must stress I shall still only be operating one vehicle till my variation is approved (hopefully) Should I A) buy it and use trade plates to get it home then stick it on my mates o licence and park it in his yard? B) buy it but not specify it on an o licence till I get my variation or C) forget about buying one till I have my variation approved?

Even if I didn’t get my variation approved I would sell my current vehicle and keep the new buy.

Cheers lads
Matt

Well there’s all sorts you could do but I think, in your situation, I would just get the dealer/seller to deliver it to your yard (or anyone’s yard if you don’t currently have space). As long as you don’t use it then until the o-licence variation comes through that is all above board.

You could apply for an interim licence if you wanted to use both vehicles immediately but I wouldn’t bother as generally they aren’t issued any more swiftly.

if you are taking finance on to buy the new truck, then, you will not get the finance cleared until your o licence is approved

you will, however, get an agreement in principle, which is basically, the finance company saying once you have the added space, they will give you the money

why would you need to stick it on your mates o licence just to park it in his yard?

Personally, I think it would be easier to just wait until the new licence is approved. If you did buy it, there would be nothing stopping you from keeping it in your own yard if it isn’t on the O licence, same as you could keep an Atkinson Borderer there which you took around the show circuit.

shuttlespanker:
if you are taking finance on to buy the new truck, then, you will not get the finance cleared until your o licence is approved

you will, however, get an agreement in principle, which is basically, the finance company saying once you have the added space, they will give you the money

why would you need to stick it on your mates o licence just to park it in his yard?

First of all as I wouldnt be part exing my truck the finance company wouldnt know I already had one so could just show them my licence as it is now for 1 truck.

Secondly, although its obvious thinking about it, I wasn’t sure if you could have a truck sat in a yard not specified on an o licence whether it was operating or not.

It does not matter how many trucks you have on the yard think of hire companies they are not all specified on an O licence.As long as you only use the trucks that are on the O licence no problem and as long as the non specified truck has tax and insurance it can be legally driven on the road but not for haulage

xfmatt:
Secondly, although its obvious thinking about it, I wasn’t sure if you could have a truck sat in a yard not specified on an o licence whether it was operating or not.

Yes, you can. I’ve got a licence for three vehicles (and I’d always recommend to anybody starting out that they get the biggest licence they can from the outset) but I could buy 20 trucks if I wanted and park them in my yard with Southern Star graphics all over them, so long as I wasn’t operating them then it wouldn’t be any of VOSA’s business.

Harry Monk:

xfmatt:

Yes, you can. I’ve got a licence for three vehicles (and I’d always recommend to anybody starting out that they get the biggest licence they can from the outset) but I could buy 20 trucks if I wanted and park them in my yard with Southern Star graphics all over them, so long as I wasn’t operating them then it wouldn’t be any of VOSA’s business.

Yeah I was pretty sure that not every truck in the country would be specified on a licence. Its amazing how complacent you become with licensing issues after passing the operator cpc! Its like you know everything for the 8 days you’re on the course and then its gone again!