Probably because I'm new but

Does anyone else struggle with getting to somewhere on the time the office give you? I know I’m only on my second day. But I’m waiting to get loaded at the moment then I gotta strap it all down and be to Ely from Kent for half 2. How do I make this possible?! On a serious note I’m guessing its because I’m taking everything very cautiously because I’m new. Anyone else struggle when they first start?

I have stopped looking at the scheduled times on the paperwork, I take whatever time I need to make sure the load is secure and drive at what I consider to be a safe speed, if my arrival/departure times do not match those on the run sheet then it is the planners that need to change and not me.

Only look at the run sheet after the last drop - if you are ahead of schedule toss it off in a lay-by before returning back to base. :laughing:

Tim due out at 21:30 or 22:30 for a 00:00 and 01:00 tip respectively. Rarely happens . take 2hrs 30 to do the run with no hold up’s but it’s not often I’m out on time.
It takes what it takes

This is what Id do

Be pro active… ring ya planner advising him of the delays you cant tell him a leaving time till the forkies have loaded … get there when you get there… a good planner will take that info and inform ppl at the next delivery point… and should you arrive at you next drop to a hale of abuse and not happy bunnies…tell em to take it up with the office…

Either ignore the times or annoy the people who “calculate” them.

I’ve had plenty of routes where half the drops were scheduled for before I was due to start and before the yard was allowed to start any engines as well as booked for during a ferry crossing the planner had booked me a ticket for!

Remember the first (and only) rule of planning; it’s not that far on a map!
Seriously though, always try and keep the office informed of any delays, it covers your backside.

The M25 is just a normal road though isn’t it? According to the planners :grimacing:

I seem to be on time today guys! Apart from I’ve gotta take this load around the m25 shortly… :frowning:

raxore:
I seem to be on time today guys! Apart from I’ve gotta take this load around the m25 shortly… :frowning:

If its busy, nip inside to the North or South circular, what could possibly go wrong?? :wink:

F-reds:

raxore:

If its busy, nip inside to the North or South circular, what could possibly go wrong?? :wink:

Thats cold bro.

forget the rushing about ,do the job to the best of your ability and remember you are just a driver …as long as you keep in touch with the gits in the office and let them know how the day is going ( time waiting to load /unload) you are covering your arse,let them take the stress after all they are paid more than you. This will come more easy to you after a few years. jimmy. :smiley:

By the looks of it, at my last place, the planners used to get the journey time from Google Maps, and add an hour for loading. So for example, it’s 2 hours from Sheffield to Newcastle, plus 1 hour for loading. So you’d have a 9:00AM pick-up slot in Sheffield, and a 12:00PM tipping slot in Newcastle. It’s all well-and-good, but at some depots, the 1 hour loading time was complete fantasy, it would take them 2, 2-and-a-half, possibly even 3 hours to load you. You’d ring-up the planners to inform them that you’ll be late, and it’s not your fault, and they’d always tut and sigh at you like it was. It was like they expected you to hurl abuse at the loaders to make them work faster. It’s a bit hard when you’re in a RDC holding cell mate.

All you have to do mate is COVER YOUR BACK.

Simply keep the transport office updated with your progress. Let them stress about the delivery, your job is simply to drive.

The times they give you is the times they or the customer want you there,late being loaded,traffic,not being able to find the places etc all put time on a day they don’t allow for,office bods think you know everywhere and your the only 1 on the road.
Keep the office updated as to when your going to get there and if its late its late don’t put yourself at risk by trying to keep to times you can only do what you can do reasonably in a day.

eagerbeaver:

Simply keep the transport office updated with your progress. Let them stress about the delivery, your job is simply to drive.

+1

Evil8Beezle:

eagerbeaver:

+1

+2

carryfast-yeti:

Evil8Beezle:

eagerbeaver:

+1

+2

I didn’t know we was all learning to count to ten now?! I’ve missed out! :grimacing:

ash 001:

carryfast-yeti:

Evil8Beezle:

eagerbeaver:

+1

+2

I didn’t know we was all learning to count to ten now?! I’ve missed out! :grimacing:

+3