Private Trucks - Not for Hire / Reward

Private Motor Sport Race Car Transporter, GVW 18 T

Wondered if anyone could help with the following

1. Do the Sunday bans apply to non freight
  2. Does Euro Vignette apply to non freight
  3. Does Toll Collect apply to non freight

As its over 7.5T, am I right in thinking EC Driving Regs now apply?

“Vehicles or combination of vehicles with a maximum permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes used for the non-commercial carriage of goods.”

Thanks

Ha ha…time to put this CPC learning to use.

Right from what I read yesterday I think 2 and 3 apply as you are over 12t gvw. However it didnt say anything about non H+R movements. I’d say more than likley they still apply.

spaceman:

“Vehicles or combination of vehicles with a maximum permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes used for the non-commercial carriage of goods.”

Thanks

you’re right :wink: :unamused: :unamused:

Private vehicles over 7.5t came into scope with EC Reg. 561/2006

spaceman:

Wondered if anyone could help with the following

1. Do the Sunday bans apply to non freight
  2. Does Euro Vignette apply to non freight
  3. Does Toll Collect apply to non freight

Thanks

Sunday bans can affect various types of vehicles/cargo in various countries, and the rules are not always uniform. Also, some countries have the Sunday bans on Saturdays as well. There’s also Bank Holiday bans to consider. Sometimes, some of the bans are seasonal. This isn’t always straightforward, especially without the countries and dates that you intend to be on the road. Do you know them yet? Sometimes, some parts of a country have a ban, whilst other parts of the same country don’t :open_mouth:

The rules normally start at >7,500Kg GVW as you said, but the bans might well affect you with your 18,000Kg GVW, sometimes even if it’s not commercial.

As an easy solution, it might be better for you to set-off earlier than you originally planned.

Thanks for the replies.

On the tacho issue, I was hoping there was a loophole I’d missed! Not really that fussed, who wants to drive for more than 10hrs anyway.

Sunday (etc) bans — I’ve driven over the water commercially — again was hoping to find an exemption for private use. From another source, this doesn’t seem to be the case (unless you can call the truck a motor home!).

Vignette and Maut. Still can’t pin down an answer on this, so I’ll just buy it, unless someone can confirm otherwise.

These are the MAUT exempt vehicles.

• Buses
  • Police vehicles
  • Civil defense and disaster relief vehicles
  • Fire engines
  • Emergency vehicles
  • Government vehicles
  • Vehicles used exclusively for road maintenance and operation, including street cleaning and winter services,
  • Vehicles used exclusively for putting on shows and circuses,
  • Vehicles not intended exclusively for freight transport,
  • Vehicles used by non-profit-making or charitable organisations to transport humanitarian aid for emergency relief.

I don’t think you fall into any of those categories, although you may be able to make a case for the second to last one. You would need to clarify that with Toll Collect on +49 180 2 86 55 26.

I drive a truck for a Race team and have no problems driving in France on Sundays or Bank holidays, but we get permits for Italy and Germany, for a small fee of course, but the race organisers normally sort out the admin side for us.

We aren’t exempt from Toll Collect, Vignettes, the GO box system in Austria or the tax in Hungary, but then it’s a professional team, running on a restricted “O” licence, but I’d think the private trucks would also be liable for these charges.

In a similar vein, does anyone know if you can drive a solo tractor unit in France on a sunday (44 tonne plated)?

Muckles — from Calais, which route do you take to Nurburg? Last time I went there I was towing a car trailer.

If I remember correctly last year we went, Brussels, Liege, Aachen and Kerpen.
But we were going round Brussels late on Sunday night, I think it might be better to avoid it at busier times.

You could try Lille, Charleroi, Liege and then go down the A60 (according to my Autoroute) but we go to Kerpen because we stay in a hotel in the town before we goto the circuit, use the truck wash, but mainly to spend the afternoon at Michael Schumacher’s cart track. :laughing:

However I’m the first to admit not being an expereinced truck driver in when it come to driving on the Continent, especially as all my Continental drving experience is with race teams, so there maybe some of those with far more experience than me might have better routes.

I used to deliver test cars to the Rng and would go Kerpen and down the A61 to the B412 Wehr Adenau.

Although this was before the MAUT so we didnt have to worry about the cost. You could also go in from Verviers to the A60 and Prum / Gerolstein but its a bit twisty in places

Harry Monk:
In a similar vein, does anyone know if you can drive a solo tractor unit in France on a sunday (44 tonne plated)?

A solo tractor unit won’t be plated at 44 tonne, more likely 18 - 22/23 tonne, which is still above the limit for the restrictions in France. While weekended I’ve driven a solo tractor unit on a Sunday in most countries that have restrictions, using it to get to places of interest, bars, restaurants or the beach for instance. I never had any problems doing this but as to the official view I have no idea.

got stopped on a easter monday in slovakia driving solo by police told to go back to factory and use a taxi to go into town

Route — I think its Prum / Gerolstein I’ve done with a 4x4 & Trailer and I remember it being a bit twisty. I think this is probably the way they’ll want to go (they’re in cars or small campers). But via Kerpen looks like a better bet to me.

My covered transporter is a 10.5m rigid. The team have just had there one built (I think the paints drying this weekend!). I haven’t seen it yet, but I’ve been told it’s a Merc something or other 320, day cab with an automatic box, stretched to 12m and running at 4m.

I’ve driven 12m rigids before — and that extra 1.5m does make a difference (and it’s a right ■■■■■■). I’ve driven manual Merc’s, but not an automatic! So I’m in favour of the easiest route! I’ll even go a slightly longer route to the M20 than I would use in my truck — would be embarrassing if I have to “take to the trees” on its first outing with a new paint job!

Hopefully I’ll be around next Tuesday when they collect it and load it up — we depart on Thursday. Payload should be ample, though from experience (Wheelnut may remember N10 TTL?) a tail lift on a long overhang can cause problems. And I might be sending them off to the Merc dealer to get an extra mirror!

Thanks for the replies — I haven’t been on Trucknet for a while — good to see it’s still alive and kicking!!

(Wheelnut may remember N10 TTL?)

I remember it but never drove it :stuck_out_tongue: I use the border near Prum quite a bit now as we deliver to a milk factory.

It seems like a fancy thing they have built for you

Denis F:

Hi

I made local enquiries here in Finland, and it seems that here as of last week drivers of private HGV’s will have to put a chart in the tacho. Up till now, using an HGV as your private van has been exempt.

What I haven’t found out yet is whether private users of HGV’s will have to comply with the hours regulations or not, but I presume that they will apply, if the regulations are being harmonised all over the EU region.

This affects me because as of later this week, I will be taking an 8100Kg GVW rigid into use as my private van.

Have the hours regulations changed since I last drove class 1 in the UK, back in the very early 90’s?

Zetorpilot:

Denis F:

Hi

Have the hours regulations changed since I last drove class 1 in the UK, back in the very early 90’s?

yes, the above regulation came into force on April this year