Private reg plate on a truck

got the V5 back with the private number on, now the girl at DVLA said to send the MOT as well and this would come back with the new number same as it does with a car, it didnt, they sent the log book back and the old mot , how do i get the MOT and plating certificate changed? is it a trip to the testing station?

hgv test station, don’t forget your credit card :slight_smile:

bazstan009:

bugger, any idea how much they charge for it?

you shouldn’t need it,your trucks been tested on the vin number which never changes,so you don’t need it.

in theory i would agree but what if you get a pull and it comes back over the radio as showing no MOT ?

chaversdad:

bazstan009:

bugger, any idea how much they charge for it?

Sorry mate can’t remember, bought a truck with private plates on changed it back original.
Maybe 20-30 ish but as I say memory fails and to idle to go back through bills :slight_smile:

chaversdad:
in theory i would agree but what if you get a pull and it comes back over the radio as showing no MOT ?

it has a mot,as the mot is done on the vin number…if you import a car/truck,you mot it before registering it,it gets motd on the vin number,the reg number dosent matter as the reg can change,but the vin remains the same.

The MOT is fine - but you need to change the plating cert - You will have to fill in Form VTG 10 - send it with a copy of your existing plating cert - copy of your new V5, and the fee (I think it was £28)

Don’t forget to get your tachometer re calibrated with the new registration

Tachometer■■?

Does the engine speed alter with new reg number ? :smiling_imp:

Toddy2:
The MOT is fine - but you need to change the plating cert - You will have to fill in Form VTG 10 - send it with a copy of your existing plating cert - copy of your new V5, and the fee (I think it was £28)

cheers, it says to send the MOT in with the VTG10 so i assume they will send an amended one back out

SteveWalsh:
Tachometer■■?

If it’s got a digital tacho it will need to be re calibrated showing the new registration number on the print out

Just done this for my new motor, you need to send:
1- original MOT cert
2- original plating cert
3 - photocopy of the V5
4- filled in VTG 10 (there is a section on the form specifically for cherished reg no’s)
5 - cheque for £28.

Very quickly you will get an letter or email to say they are processing you request.

Then in a week or so you will get back:
1- your original MOT cert with the old reg scored out and new reg hand written.
2- A brand new plating cert (2 copies)

And as already stated you need to get the reg on the digi tacho changed and don’t forget the o licence disc.

cheers alfa man, sounds easy enough , i,ve always had the reg but the dealers always done it for me before delivery, anyway all sorted now , thanks

SteveWalsh:
Tachometer■■?

apologies, using a phone to type and not reading predictive text, as someone has already said, the Tachograph will need recalibrating.