Private plate question

In April we bought a car from a family member and they were going to have to transfer their reg to her dads car then back onto their car when they bought one. I offered to leave it on the car until they got a new car to save them the expense of swapping it twice.
I told them two months ago I was selling it, they said they would sort it, a month later they bought a car and said they would sort it again, it didn’t happen again. Well I’m going looking for new cars this weekend so a couple of questions if anyone can help.
When you go to a DVLA office do they return the log book there and then like the tax disc or do they send it off ?
Also, can you do a plate change at the same time as a change of keeper?
Cheers folks

Or any other ideas/options would be great :smiley:

Hi Darb,

I would put the plate on retention,it will cost you £105 to do this but no charge when it gets put back on another vehicle,they will issue you with a new number for your car,and change the log book,mot,tax disc, you need to hurry as all DVLA offices will be closed by 13th December 2013 for good,some already have,check their website,if your local one has closed you will have to apply to DVLA Swansea which at the moment seems to be taking a long time due to backlog. They may wish to inspect the vehicle but this is quite rare.
Hope this helps
Regards
Richard

Can’t you just put the plate on retention, think it costs , they will give you an age related reg for your car which is usually the one it had originally. That way you can change your car and the number plate is kept on retention for 12 months or until you put it on a vehicle

Once you have the retention certificate you can keep it going for as long as you want as long as you pay £25 a year to renew it.

As mentioned above for your needs the cert is the way to go. You would pay £80 each time you move it but the cert fee £105 ? includes the £80 transfer fee so would be the cheaper option and would buy you 12 months to sort it.

as I read it , the OP bought a car off a family member with a private plate ,as a favour he offered for them to leave the plate on (now) his car until they got another. he now wants to sell his car but said relatives have either not yet got another car or have not made any attempt to do something about their plate . simply inform your relatives that you are selling your car and if they wish to retain said plate they need to get it sorted .

DVLA are closing most of their local offices, everything will be dealt with via swansea.
Even when they were open, the V5 would be sent off by the local office and you’d have to wait 10 days for it to be ammended.

If your family member keeps jerking you around, simply sell the car with the plate on, they’ll loose it then.

(it’s £80 to transfer a cherished transfer and around £100 to put it on retention if I recall)

£105 as has been said and that includes the assignment fee…

Retention fee is £25

Assignment fee is £80

If its not going straight on another car, you need both = £105

Form you need is V317

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 140313.pdf

You need to do it in sufficient time that you’ll have log book and tax disc back in time to sell yours.

You can’t really sell without it and you categorically should not sell the car with it on unless you want to lose it.

you’ve told the family member your sellin it tell em to get their finger out or its sold

part ex the car in a garage and get the dealer to do all the work for you