Private Hire

Looking for some info from you wonderful people if possible :smiley: I have got a house move coming up and was wondering if anyone knows of any companies that will hire me a 7.5t (or bigger?) for a day to get the move completed with as little trips as possible. All the companies I’ve asked have told me they are for business customers only. I know this is random but I am really struggling to find a company who does this.

Any info would be great. Anywhere around the Glasgow area if possible.

Thanks

Try a standard local van hire company…

From memory when this has come up before, they will only hire to someone with an operators licence and many will want it on the hiring companies insurance (all ours are), hence business users only.

trevHCS:
From memory when this has come up before, they will only hire to someone with an operators licence and many will want it on the hiring companies insurance (all ours are), hence business users only.

you are correct

I`d suggest the OP does a couple of 6th shifts, earn a little extra to pay someone else to do the graft of moving home, then he can sit back beer in hand barking instructions at those doing the work

Thanks…unfortunately a 6th shift is out of the question as work have cancelled all overtime at the minute. I guess a luton van is going to have to do the job…thanks again

Not every truck hire is under an o licence, it’s up to the hirer as to what conditions they impose, just bring around to a wider range of providers and use their insurance.

I know Salford van hire will hire you a rigid for personal use without an o license, but you’ll still need to use your Digi card and have all the hours available if over 7.5t. so I doubt they be the only ones

Iv checked for a mate, many companies will hire 7.5t without O licence if for private use ie move house. Assume as it’s not for hire or reward no need to put tacho card in?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

spacemanZ10:
Assume as it’s not for hire or reward no need to put tacho card in?

Your problem there is the UKgov web site states you can be exempt from EU hours, but under GB hours if the vehicle is under 7.5T. If you’re vehicle is 7.5T or more then its EU all the way.

non-commercial vehicles under 7.5 tonnes - for example a person moving house or goods carried by a non-profit making group or registered charity

gov.uk/drivers-hours/exemptions-from-eu-law

However, the rules also state that if you spend part of a working week under EU rules then you must use EU not GB rules for all in scope driving even if it would normally be under GB.

Not sure I’d want to argue it with DVSA at the roadside. In my reading its EU and tacho all the way.

trevHCS:

spacemanZ10:
Assume as it’s not for hire or reward no need to put tacho card in?

Your problem there is the UKgov web site states you can be exempt from EU hours, but under GB hours if the vehicle is under 7.5T. If you’re vehicle is 7.5T or more then its EU all the way.

non-commercial vehicles under 7.5 tonnes - for example a person moving house or goods carried by a non-profit making group or registered charity

gov.uk/drivers-hours/exemptions-from-eu-law

However, the rules also state that if you spend part of a working week under EU rules then you must use EU not GB rules for all in scope driving even if it would normally be under GB.

Not sure I’d want to argue it with DVSA at the roadside. In my reading its EU and tacho all the way.

You’ve got that wrong, if you’re exempt from the EU regs, then normally you’d come under GB domestic, but personal use us exempt from GB domestic, so you can use a 7.5t and treat it like a car.

And even if you were mixing EU and GB domestic, which he wouldn’t be, but you can still use both in the same day or week, it’s not a case that once you’re on EU then it’s all EU.

So perfectly legal to max your hours out at work, then drive a 7.5t all weekend for personal use without putting your card in, then back in work.