Private HGV

A friend has asked if I can pick up a wagon for them, apparently it’s hgv, I’m guessing 18 ton, but it doesn’t have a tacho. All private, to be used as a horse box, no hire or reward.

Now as far as I know, private doesn’t need to use a tacho, have an o licence, doesn’t matter if iv driven all week then jump in it…for a 7.5 ton.
But I have a funny feeling the rules are different or changed at some point for over 7.5 tons.

Anybody got any experience of this?

fridger:
A friend has asked if I can pick up a wagon for them, apparently it’s hgv, I’m guessing 18 ton, but it doesn’t have a tacho. All private, to be used as a horse box, no hire or reward.

Now as far as I know, private doesn’t need to use a tacho, have an o licence, doesn’t matter if iv driven all week then jump in it…for a 7.5 ton.
But I have a funny feeling the rules are different or changed at some point for over 7.5 tons.

If there is nothing in the lorry = no goods = not under EU regs so no tacho needed

The moment it has goods in it such as a horse then it comes under full EU tacho regs as it is a LGV over 7.5 carrying goods be they commercial or private goods
I STAND CORRECTED BY THE EXPERT

geebee45:
If the vehicle has a plated weight greater than 7.5 tonnes then it’s use will come under EU drivers hours rules when used for the ‘non commercial carriage of goods’ the legal term for ‘private use’ since 2007. It doesn’t matter if the vehicle is loaded or not, it’s a goods vehicle and therefore comes into the legislation.

fridger:

No tacho fitted at all?
That does sound very “unusual”, at the least.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

It COULD have been HGV but it may have been down rated.
I had an old B reg (B at the end) Dodge Commando (complete with tacho head)with a horse box body,which was HGV down rated,and taxed as private no tacho needed.
Must admit that was sometime back so laws may well have changed considerably since then.

If the vehicle has a plated weight greater than 7.5 tonnes then it’s use will come under EU drivers hours rules when used for the ‘non commercial carriage of goods’ the legal term for ‘private use’ since 2007. It doesn’t matter if the vehicle is loaded or not, it’s a goods vehicle and therefore comes into the legislation. If a vehicle comes under the EU drivers hours rules a Tacho must be fitted and used. If the vehicle was first registered on or after 01/06/2006 then the Tacho must be digital. Before that date analogue or digital may be fitted…

If the vehicle was manufactured more than 25 years ago and is used for non commercial carriage, then it will be exempt the EU rules, whatever the plated weight.

If the vehicle has been ‘downplated’ to come out of EU rules and allow a C1 licence holder to drive it, then the owner needs to be very careful about payload. Saw a Ford Cargo 15 tonner downplated to 7.5 a few years ago. It had three adults, three kids and three Shetlands in it and was 2 tonnes overweight!

Vehicle outsideO-licence if used for non commercial carriage whatever the plated weight.

my daf 15 tonner weighs 7.48 ton unladen :open_mouth: which rather scuppered my plans of downplating it :frowning:

Right we are getting closer to what were dealing with, it does have an old analogue tacho, still working so not upgraded to a digi.

Have emailed the VOSA/DVSA so at least can get their own opinion in writting.

Guess I’ll just pick it up on my 6th shift then frisbie it :smiley:

Over 7.5t, tacho must be used and the weekly hours/rest/ballcocks needs to be respected.

I found a note from the DVSA (or whatever it was years ago), as the previous owner could not prove an 11 hours rest period (12t private HGV), she was not allowed to continue her journey until rest had been taken.

Paul

fridger:
Right we are getting closer to what were dealing with, it does have an old analogue tacho, still working so not upgraded to a digi.

Still working but I bet it hasn’t got a current valid calibration certification.

You need to be notifying your friend of all the pitfalls and expense they’ve got coming their way.

sonflowerinwales:
Over 7.5t, tacho must be used and the weekly hours/rest/ballcocks needs to be respected.

I found a note from the DVSA (or whatever it was years ago), as the previous owner could not prove an 11 hours rest period (12t private HGV), she was not allowed to continue her journey until rest had been taken.

Paul

That’s why it makes sense for someone on a digi card to pick it up, at least your card is a decent history of weekly rests and such, rather than somebody with a made up diary.

Conor:

fridger:

Still working but I bet it hasn’t got a current valid calibration certification.

You need to be notifying your friend of all the pitfalls and expense they’ve got coming their way.

Ha, if bills and reliablitly were an issue the horses would be the culprits not the wagon!