Private HGV & Tachographs

As I understand it, Tachographs will have to be fitted and used in Vehicles used for the non comercial carriage of goods or personal use if they are above 7.5tons MPW as from April 15th 2007.
Right then, what are your opinions on this? and what constitutes a vehicle falling into the scope of this new scheme and what slips under the wire?

Example: I have a private HGV artic unit that I take to shows and use as a car, I also use it to pull a step frame box trailer which is half caravan and half motorsport garage/workshop (Tractor Pulling)
I see this as not coming into the scope of the new rules as its not carrying goods. What do you think?

As far as I’ve read you’ll need to use a tacho

same applies for horseboxes :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’m almost certain you’ll be subject to the tacho laws (unfortunately).

According to this link they’re removing “Vehicles used for the non-commercial carriage of goods and personal use.” and replacing it with something that only counts for things with a MGW of 7500Kg or less, leaving nothing in the exemptions list at all mentioning “personal use” or “non commercial” for vehicles plated over 7500Kg. I would assume this therefore means you’ll be subject to the normal rules be you carrying goods or just driving around solo in an empty unit for the fun of it.

Paul