Private HGV Tacho Calibration Exemptions

As I understand it a Private HGV (as of last year) is now not exempt from 2 yearly inspections (Analogue tacho) just because it does not carry goods - UNLESS it is 25 year old minimum! Is this correct■■? I was going to take mine for it’s MOT pretty soon, but note its due an inspection as of April last year and the thing is 24 years old… :cry: :neutral_face:

It weighs under 7.5 ton (solo unit) and never (as yet, but may do) tows a trailer of any kind. Some rationalisation of advice would be appreciated. Many thanks!

First I heard about the exemption being removed so I suggest finding the legislation that states that before going any further

If it cannot be found then it does not exist

Hello Rog - thanks for replying! Have a look at exemption clause 2 on this PDF link: gov.uk/government/uploads/s … n-form.pdf

Now, this comes across as a bit ambiguous to me. Does it mean those vehicles not fitted with a tachograph per se - or does it mean those vehicles fitted with a tacho, but NOT a calibrated one. Usual VOSA poor clarity. . :unamused: :confused: :confused: :neutral_face:

Edited to add: On studying and interpreting that Form further, it would appear a solo unit taxed as Private HGV and under 7.5 ton is exempt under Option 4. That is, assuming the GVW of a ‘solo unit’ is its ULW…

Not sure that is the right link because you are asking about the calibration and not whether it needs to have one or be used

Is the tachograph used as a speedometer and has the tachograph previously been calibrated and is the seal still in tact ?

If the answer to these questions is yes and you complete a tachograph exemption form there is no need for 2 yearly calibrations.

As far as I can see if the vehicle has a separate speedometer the tachograph does not need to be calibrated and if an exemption for is completed the tachograph seal or calibration plaque will not be checked.

tachograph:
Is the tachograph used as a speedometer and has the tachograph previously been calibrated and is the seal still in tact ?

If the answer to these questions is yes and you complete a tachograph exemption form there is no need for 2 yearly calibrations.

As far as I can see if the vehicle has a separate speedometer the tachograph does not need to be calibrated and if an exemption for is completed the tachograph seal or calibration plaque will not be checked.

Thinking about this …
A private LGV horsebox over 7.5 tonnes requires the driver to use the tacho so it must be under normal calibration rules to comply with that … yes?

ROG:

tachograph:

Thinking about this …
A private LGV horsebox over 7.5 tonnes requires the driver to use the tacho so it must be under normal calibration rules to comply with that … yes?

The vehicle is not tachograph exempt so the tachograph will need to be recalibrated every 2 years.

Yet it has already been ascertained and clarified (by VOSA) that a Private HGV solo unit is ‘Out of Scope’ for tachograph purposes. So in essence, a solo unit under 7.5 ton will not need 2 yearly inspections. In actual fact on further thinking at the last MOT (May 2012), the Tester got the date mixed up on the plaque on the side of the tacho and said I would have to fill an exemption form in - then realised he was a few months in error at the time. I am just trying to get some degree of clarification here.

sdg1970:
Yet it has already been ascertained and clarified (by VOSA) that a Private HGV solo unit is ‘Out of Scope’ for tachograph purposes. So in essence, a solo unit under 7.5 ton will not need 2 yearly inspections. In actual fact on further thinking at the last MOT (May 2012), the Tester got the date mixed up on the plaque on the side of the tacho and said I would have to fill an exemption form in - then realised he was a few months in error at the time. I am just trying to get some degree of clarification here.

I assume they mean under 7.5 GVW and not actual weight

tachograph:

That was my thinking and as I understood it, but trawling around the web looking for the relevant clarification and ‘Form’ to download merely confused the issue. I was aware of the LGV Horsebox scenario as well, but that is over 7.5 tons. The speed limiter rules are a little better as they use GDW as opposed to GVW. Thus, any HGV with a GDW of 12 tons or more needs retrofitting of a speed limiter from 1st Jan 1988>.