Private HGV and use

Hey all,

Newbie here :smiley: Hopefully I’m not going to bore you all with the same old questions! but attempting the near impossible and trying to figure out the Vosa (sorry to swear) regs and thought id try the wealth of knowledge and experience on here :grimacing:

Heres the story, corrections welcome!!!

Im going to look at a 5.6t Dodge 50 with a view to buying it, its registered as a private HGV.

Im a self employed builder so if i read it right i don’t need CPC as driving isn’t my main job (i will be using the truck just to move materials to where I’m working)

I have the old license so can drive unto 7.5t.

It won’t be hire or reward as moving the materials isn’t earning me money, what i do with them (my trade) is.

What the hells a burden■■? seems to be Vosa’s new all singing all dancing legal loop hole to an enforcers paradise!

Presume i don’t need a tacho as under 7.5t and not a professional driver, i’ll be lucky to be on the road an hour per day.

Private HGV, am i right in reading that as I’m not a professional driver, nor using it for hire or reward that i could leave it in that category? For a while to come it will also be my only vehicle as well so will be used evenings and weekends for pleasure :confused:

Any help muchly appreciated and thank you for your time in advance :slight_smile:

Daz

I try and answer the points in order:

Dodge 50 - one of the least desirable vehicles on the road. But if it’s cheap and sound then it could be ok.

It will need to be taxed LGV (goods) but this probably will not change the tax amount to any extent.

You will be exempt from driver cpc provided you stay within the description you have given.

Check your driving licence to ensure it shows C1 on the bottom of the photocard.

You are exempt from the use of tacho

vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of 7.5 tonnes or less that are used for carrying work equipment for the driver

This is taken from the gov website as an exemption from EU rules which require the use of tacho.

Once again, you will need to change the tax class.

You will need a restricted Operator Licence.

Best advice is consider if you can manage with a 3.5 Transit. In the long run, it’ll make a lot more sense unless you are travelling many miles to the job. Better to run a couple of journeys with that rather than one in your Dodge.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter missed a bit of the exemption in the post above … the 50 km bit …

Article 13 of EU 561/2006 exemptions

(d) vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum
permissible mass not exceeding 7,5 tonnes used:

– for carrying materials, equipment or machinery for
the driver’s use in the course of his work.

These vehicles shall be used only within a 50 kilometre
radius from the base of the undertaking, and on
condition that driving the vehicles does not constitute
the driver’s main activity;

If you at any time go outside the 50 KM limit then you come under EU regs for that shift and that fixed week

Absolutely correct. I was working on the statement

i’ll be lucky to be on the road an hour per day.

… And, in a Dodge 50 you aint goin far in an hour!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Absolutely correct. I was working on the statement

… And, in a Dodge 50 you aint goin far in an hour!

I see your point but felt it relevant to give the full info just in case

No sense of humour this morning ROG? C’mon ---------- it’s a Dodge!!

Peter Smythe:
No sense of humour this morning ROG? C’mon ---------- it’s a Dodge!!

Now you are trying to DODGE the issue :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Or I am … Roger the dodger :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

NTBajax:
Im going to look at a 5.6t Dodge 50 with a view to buying it, its registered as a private HGV.

Hi NTBajax,

I’d echo Peter’s advice, you’ll need to change the taxation class for what you’re proposing.

NTBajax:
Im a self employed builder so if i read it right i don’t need CPC as driving isn’t my main job (i will be using the truck just to move materials to where I’m working)

Correct, you won’t need a (driver) CPC for what you’re proposing.

NTBajax:
I have the old license so can drive unto 7.5t.

Correct again, but provided that “C1” is showing on it. :smiley:

NTBajax:
It won’t be hire or reward as moving the materials isn’t earning me money, what i do with them (my trade) is.

Correct, it won’t be Hire and Reward, but you would need an Own Account (AKA ‘restricted’) Operator’s Licence, so can I suggest that you have a little read of my simplified explanation of “Hire and Reward” and Operator’s Licences about half-way down in this topic:

cpc question - #9 by dieseldave - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

NTBajax:
What the hells a burden■■? seems to be Vosa’s new all singing all dancing legal loop hole to an enforcers paradise!

In simple terms, a burden is anything (cargo) carried on a vehicle.

NTBajax:
Presume i don’t need a tacho as under 7.5t and not a professional driver,

Already covered by ROG and Peter

NTBajax:

Correct, and you can say that again but only because I don't know anybody who can keep a Dodge50 running for an hour!! :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

NTBajax:
Private HGV, am i right in reading that as I’m not a professional driver, nor using it for hire or reward that i could leave it in that category? For a while to come it will also be my only vehicle as well so will be used evenings and weekends for pleasure :confused:

Sorry mate, this bit is really not a good idea because it could cause you all kinds of grief, honestly. :frowning:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome and all the quick replays :smiley:

All good points made, I had no idea about the operators license, it looks like that’d be £650!! (£254 application, £354 license and £48 per vehicle) and that puts the mockers on it anyway as i have no off road parking at the moment so it looks like my HGV escapades will have to go on hold till i move later in the year :unamused: I really had no idea it’d be that much bother for such a small vehicle.

I think your right, Ive got a transit and a land rover at the moment so maybe i’d be better off getting a large twin axle trailer again and taking advantage of the multi use thing with the land rover.

Yeah i know, I seem to have a thing for anything old, poor handling and noisy! my landy’s got a 4litre dodge 50 engine in it :smiley:

Thanks again for your responses,

Daz

Be careful. Assuming your Transit is 3.5 tonnes then the addition of a trailer will put it over. You then come under tacho rules again unless you always stay within 50kms of your base - which you may well do.

The upside is that, provided you are only carrying your own goods (as opposed to carrying other people’s for hire and reward) you fall outside the scope of Operator licencing.

Welcome to the minefield!