Priority when changing lanes

Quick question:

I am driving on the left lane. I want to go to the middle one, so I put my indicator on, someone flash me in and then I start to change lane. In the same time someone from the right lane wants to enter the same lane than me.

I had such situations quite few times recently and if they are in my blind spot, I was very lucky to spot them in last moment.

My question is: Is there any rule in UK saying who has priority in such situation? Something similar to Polish rule that if two vehicles want to enter the same lane, the guy entering it from the right has priority…

Would have thought that the person in front has priority - ie - you.

Common sense is the rule, and looking what’s going on around you. If you have your indicator on in lane one, surely the driver in lane 3 would be paying enough attention to see what you are doing and stay in his lane?

Might is right… :laughing: :laughing:

seriously, we discussed this on the Smiths course the bus company put me through (Smiths - advanced training)

We have a bus lane in Truro that ends and the main traffic is on the right. There are no give way markings and the question was brought up “who’s right of way?”

Do they give way as they are trying to merge with our lane or do we give way.

The decision was that the “give way to the right” rule applies. I would say that in your scenario, the “give way to the right” rule would also apply.

C-Kay:
Common sense is the rule, and looking what’s going on around you. If you have your indicator on in lane one, surely the driver in lane 3 would be paying enough attention to see what you are doing and stay in his lane?

Obviously not - that’s why I am asking :wink:

And we can be side to side, when deciding to get into the same lane…

I Believe that the highway code states you give way to traffic from the right. Thats Donuts, unmarked jct’s and merging with a M/Way so it should be no different for this. The ■■■■ wearing a top man suit and the phone stuck in his ear, paperwork all over and wearing Blinkers has the right of way.

Then play chicken, see who wins :laughing:

Only joking, i guess it could have been confusing if the driver in lane 2 had flashed, the guy in lane 3 might have thought it was for him. I’d like to think both drivers would see what was going on and react, and give a wave to aknowledge each other, but chances are the other driver would give you a ■■■■■■ sign and blame it totally on you :laughing:

If you wanted to get into lane 2, i presume its because its to overtake a slower moving vehicle?
If a car driver wants to move from lane 3 to 2, chances are he wants to get into lane 1 pronto because the exit they want is 20 yards away !!

Hm, so there is no special law regulating this and basic right hand rule applies. That’s answers my question from the law side, thank you.

As for other aspects, the common place for it is in Glasgow, when I go from M80 and want to go to the town, on M8, and in the same time someone from M8 want to go towards cathedral…

Don’t think the flashing of headlights has any legal standing other than indicating your presence.The fact that it is accepted as as a traffic signal by truckers in general does not confer any power in law.

welshphil:
Don’t think the flashing of headlights has any legal standing other than indicating your presence.The fact that it is accepted as as a traffic signal by truckers in general does not confer any power in law.

Off course I know that. That’s why don’t even mentioned the guy who’s already on the middle line for consideration.

i would say the person who indicated that they wanted
to change lane

hitch:
i would say the person who indicated that they wanted
to change lane

Question is : what when they both do that at the same time…

And the correct answer is…

Semtex:
the “give way to the right” rule applies

Argue against it all you want but if BOTH do it at the same time then that is the rule that applies.

If one has already started to cross the line into the middle lane then it has PRIORITY over the other who SHOULD give way, however, safety judgement by both drivers would be expected.

Why is it give way from the right? - because in the UK it is easier for the driver on the left to control the danger by having a better vision - this is the problem with left hookers when they get caught in the same situation - they have the same limited vision as those coming in from lane three.

Another thought here -
In this situation the driver pulling out from lane 1 to lane 2 needs to brake as they pull back in to avoid whereas the driver pulling in from lane 3 needs to accelerate as they pull back out to avoid and it is usually quicker to brake than accelerate.

orys, do you really need to ask this question, because you already no the answer, you get priority, why, well because your a sight bigger than bm/audi rep man, so penny to a pound hell chicken out before you.try it over a week,i bet you win :exclamation: :exclamation:

Vehicle ‘A’ moving from lane 1 to lane 2,is pulling into the line of travel of vehicle ‘B’,which is moving from lane 3 to lane 2.
Until this time ‘B’ has had a clear road ahead and therefore,IMO,has right of way.

The trouble is we see this all the time from truck drivers . Generally most truck drivers slipstream the truck ahead,look in their mirrors for a nano second and then give a reaction signal and pull straight out to hell with the safety of others. The correct way to do it is to check mirrors 2 to 3 seconds to assess other traffic movements and if safe signal long enough for other drivers to respond to their signal, sideways glance into the blindspot and then change lanes if safe ,but I am sure you professional drivers know that!..tin hat on.

ROG:
And the correct answer is…

Semtex:
the “give way to the right” rule applies

Argue against it all you want but if BOTH do it at the same time then that is the rule that applies.

If one has already started to cross the line into the middle lane then it has PRIORITY over the other who SHOULD give way, however, safety judgement by both drivers would be expected.

Why is it give way from the right? - because in the UK it is easier for the driver on the left to control the danger by having a better vision - this is the problem with left hookers when they get caught in the same situation - they have the same limited vision as those coming in from lane three.

Another thought here -
In this situation the driver pulling out from lane 1 to lane 2 needs to brake as they pull back in to avoid whereas the driver pulling in from lane 3 needs to accelerate as they pull back out to avoid and it is usually quicker to brake than accelerate.

Your argument was going quite well ROG until you you suggested that the driver on the left is able to control the situation better and here in the prescribed situation you are very wrong. The driver in the left hand lane no matter how many times he checks his mirrors will not have as good a view as the driver in the right hand lane facing forwards and as such common sense says it must be the one with the view who should give way. Both of these vehicles are travelling in the same direction and the onus must lie with the overtaking vehicle to conduct the manoeuvre safely, ie:- it is obviously not safe to return to the lane to his left as someone else is moving into it.

To follow your argument through if people are being taught to drive in this manner then it is no wonder that there are so many accidents involving left hand drive trucks and incidents of this nature. Also please explain how the vehicle in the right hand lane has limited vision, he is looking forward and should be looking to his nearside to make sure it is ok to move over to pass the car on his left if he was looking he shouldn`t even contemplate changing lanes especially into the path of a larger vehicle. :wink: :wink:

The bit from Orys was simple. I was following that and it made perfect sense.

Lane 1, Heavy Vehicle A and possibly D
Lane 2, Vehicle B flashed
Lane 3, Vehicle C overtaking

So A indicates and B lets him out by flashing.

C indicates to get in gap between B and A so he either wants to take the exit at the last few seconds or he want to use the left hand lane as it goes north, south, or wherever.

The problem I have with this, is that C has had at least 1 mile to decide this fact. More probable is the fact that there is a slower vehicle in Lane 1 called Vehicle D that A needs to overtake. B sees this and lets A pull out.

Trying to overtake on a 2 lane road in Germany, you can peer in the mirror for 25 minutes then as soon as you indicate to move left and you can guarantee to have a cloud of black rubber smoke appear, yet the bloke in the Porsche could see 2 trucks ahead and would see them closing the gap

orys:
Quick question:

I am driving on the left lane. I want to go to the middle one, so I put my indicator on, someone flash me in and then I start to change lane. In the same time someone from the right lane wants to enter the same lane than me.

I had such situations quite few times recently and if they are in my blind spot, I was very lucky to spot them in last moment.

My question is: Is there any rule in UK saying who has priority in such situation? Something similar to Polish rule that if two vehicles want to enter the same lane, the guy entering it from the right has priority…

the trouble with the other driver flashing you is what could be the problem as the other driver mite think its for them that the driver flashed

i was always told be very careful when you get a flash in cost the car to the right of you normal is not looking at you but the car in the lane there want and may not see your signal