Prince of Wales Bridge accident

Just proves how useless these barriers are, hopefully the driver recovers…bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49577926

“Hopefully the driver recovers”

I take it you didn’t read the article in full. It says the driver was airlifted to hospital but died. RIP driver

Rowley010:
“Hopefully the driver recovers”

I take it you didn’t read the article in full. It says the driver was airlifted to hospital but died. RIP driver

Bugger obviously missed that, rip driver. :blush:

Doesn’t seem to be a huge amount of damage to the cab so sounds like him having a heart attack was the cause of the crash so barriers probably didn’t make much difference in this case.

I did once read that motorway crash barriers are designed to deflect a one-tonne car travelling at 60 mph striking them at a 60 degree angle, so obviously not a lot of good when it comes to trucks.

Harry Monk:
I did once read that motorway crash barriers are designed to deflect a one-tonne car travelling at 60 mph striking them at a 60 degree angle, so obviously not a lot of good when it comes to trucks.

Yes, the only ones that are likely to have much resistance to a HGV are the square section (box beam) ones, which can be double height (ie 2 rails) you see around bridge supports etc. They are much stiffer than the corrugated ones. Unfortunately the ones in the pictures above only look like they are single height where the truck went through but it’s difficult to see what profile they are.

Poor bugger. r.i.p.

RIP driver . Looks like a medical incident as he damaged 600m (1950ft) of barriers central and kerbside