Price to deliver 1 pallet

how much do firms charge to deliver a pallet , do they charge a set amount , do they charge on miles or what :question:
reason i ask is yesterday i did 50 miles to pick up a pallet, 100 miles to drop it off , then 70 miles back to base [ did stop off 30 miles from home and did 2 drops [ 1 of 2 pallets , 2 nd of 3 pallets which were already on truck when i left base ].
so i recon i could of done the 5 pallets with a round trip of 60 miles , wheras with having to pick the 1 pallet up else where i did a round trip of 220 miles.
160 miles extra for 1 pallet :confused: cant see how it pays.
n.b job done in a 40 ft , er

Sometimes it’s done because the haulier has a contract with the supplier that means they have to do this kind of work.

Like conor says some times your “tie’d” to a contract that you will loose money on a few drops but on the whole will make a profit .
We had the contract to deliver to all the hospitals in west of Scotland, on the main ones they prob made very good money BUT we had to deliver to cambeltown (140 miles away one way!) and all the wanted was 2 bags of pots !!!
end up subbing it to wisemans milk think it cost them £50 but still cheaper than going your self !

our place is the same today I got sent in the small van all the way up to Dumfries with 6 rubber chamber ring seals and abox of that expanding foam stuff and they didnt charge the customer delivery because they use our place alot, did just over 450 miles today to deliver £50 worth of goods,shame I used £90 worth of fuel and they gave me a tenner for getting my lunch while I was out so thats a loss of £50 plus my wages,makes you wonder how some places actually make any money??

Andydisco:
did just over 450 miles today to deliver £50 worth of goods,

That £50 worth of goods probably cost your company £18.00 to buy :open_mouth:

Most shops / retailers are looking at a 40% profit margin minimum

depends how badly the customer needs the pallet to be where its got to be

£600 for a 44 tonner edinburgh to london
£600 for a 100 kg pallet edinburgh to london (printers pallet labels to a food company ) in a sprinter

the labels dont get there when there changing the prouduct over the whole place goes down :laughing:

printing company take a stiff one if there prouducts not there when they say itl be there

the price depends on need / contract
not necessarilly on the actual worth of the goods

As scania245 says, the value of a pallet to a customer isn’t necessarily its cost. A pallet of nuts and bolts can be worth millions if it’s holding up a production line.

If it’s not especially urgent, £55 per pallet is approximately what I was quoted by the pallet networks when I was looking at getting a pallet transported from Manchester to Swindon.

Davey Driver:

Andydisco:
did just over 450 miles today to deliver £50 worth of goods,

That £50 worth of goods probably cost your company £18.00 to buy :open_mouth:

Most shops / retailers are looking at a 40% profit margin minimum

Not in the building trade their not and how did you get £18 plus 40% to add up to £50.
They probably had to deliver this as someone had messed up .

Not wanting to have a go but the goods may have cost the merchant around £35 if the selling price is £50

The pallet networks usually have standard charges based on the distance and the timescale but can’t always make the urgent delivery times. Ultimately I suppose it’s a case of what it’s worth to get the goods there - it can bring a factory to a stand-still if they’re not :angry:

Even within the networks there are some daft moves - we often send pallets to the Bridgend depot from Ammanford via the Birmingham hub because it is easier than sending a truck to Bridgend with them on. However, there have evenbeen cases when we have picked up a pallet and passed the delivery address on the way to our depot :open_mouth:

First of all i find it very harrrrd to focus on stupot,s posting. Pallets cost of the goods does not always matter. Since i sold my unit and then trailer 5 years ago and now run a van it took me a long time to smile at bridge heights/ weight restrictions and why would someone pay that to send a box/pallet even a letter across europe. skies at night filled with charter and passenger airplanes doing the same. Just in time/ line stop docs needed etc etc. This week i,ve done an aog 5kg Lhr to Lux and dozens of times before. Once i was in a line of vans waiting to load and go to Halewood 1 van was sent to Southend where a plane was waiting as the factory could not wait. That is common not just now and again