Preston To Edinburgh Best Route 18 tonne

hello all,
im leaving for edinburgh in the morning and was wondering whatt he best route would be in an 18 tonner, the A702 looks a bit windey and if there is a crash it looks like things could messy time wise, would carrying on up and getting on the m8 be a better route or is there an even better way from the m6 m 74 thanks

I think it’s J5 M74 Larkhall? I could be wrong. Good road.

J5 Bellshill!!! oops

Stop being a big jessie :laughing: A702 is a good road and in the morning you will have the majority of lorry traffic behind you rather than coming towards you, if you go M74,M8 i guarantee, guarantee you will just sit in traffic at the raith especially, then the shawhead and then on the M8 at newbridge. Even with no traffic the M8 way adds a good hour to your journey.

A702 is a doddle, came down there on fri 9 foot wide and trailer stretched a bit too :smiley:

whats the 702 like for scameras and plod looking to fill there quota :slight_smile:, and after checking with work i aint leaving preston till about 11 am so probably 1 or 2 o clock before i even hit the 702

never seen a scamera but that’s not to say they won’t be about, you won’t get a lot over 40 anyway but you will save a shed load of time

the butty shop in biggar next to the bus stop is a bit expensive tho

thanks for that ill give that greasy spoon a miss then haha, packed lunch it is

As you go past the John Deere dealer and over the bridge there is a road to you right. The boys in blue quite often sit in there getting the traffic heading from biggar! And the big straight just before Edinburgh quite often has a camera van on it! You’ll know the straight as soon as you get on it!
The rest of the time I’d be flat out!

I would stick Tartan 11 s advice , travel this road to edinburgh in an artic, no problem. Earlier in the day the better. Wouldn t try it in the snow though lol

bigvern1:
J5 Bellshill!!! oops

:unamused: What a screwdriver. That adds about 50 miles onto the journey vs the 702. If you worked for me you’d either have a choice of being sacked on the spot or paying for the diesel.

Unless you own the agency YOU work for…I won’t worry too much about your crap. :unamused:

Rob for once i agree with you u go that = the sack

Rob K:

bigvern1:
J5 Bellshill!!! oops

:unamused: What a screwdriver. That adds about 50 miles onto the journey vs the 702. If you worked for me you’d either have a choice of being sacked on the spot or paying for the diesel.

Wish u were my boss Rob, the amount of eejuts that work with me that go miles out their way to “get my hours in” really really makes my blood boil! Perhaps if they didn’t do this we’d get a pay rise or the boss could have the swimming pool in his garden he longs for, or a new Goldwing!

Rob K:

bigvern1:
J5 Bellshill!!! oops

Seems a tad harsh, didn’t think there was any need for that…

It’s K all over. Likes to poke his nose in and doesn’t like it when others have a dig at him. I’m well able for his shizzle.

Saaamon:

Rob K:

bigvern1:
J5 Bellshill!!! oops

Seems a tad harsh, didn’t think there was any need for that…

Check out a map Si and see how far out of the way that route is. I think it’s a perfectly reasonable comment, in fact rather light for me considering Bigvern’s historical posts.

And what a guess from the great know all from Leeds. The trip adds 26 miles, nowhere near the 50 he came up with. No wonder he went bankrupt.
Better road, mostly dual carriageway so less gear changes and the like. Case rested.

I go to Livingston twice a week through the night with a step-deck trailer and often wonder about coming off the m74, onto a702 and then somehow cut up into Livingston, but i don’t want to risk getting stuck.At the moment i come off at j5 m74, then up the big hill past Bellshill, and head for M8 Edingburgh.I exit the M8 at J4 or J3a, whichever takes my preference.

Is the 702 quicker for me?