Preston hauliers

Further to the 2 former Chris Miller Seddon Atkinsons on the previous page, this DAF XF 480
is photographed in its Preston hometown.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

anyone on here remember Wally Crowe from preston i bought his 1418 merc off him many moons ago.what a charactor he was :laughing:

tom ■■■:
anyone on here remember Wally Crowe from preston i bought his 1418 merc off him many moons ago.what a charactor he was :laughing:

I know Wally. He used to bring is T45 into Ditchfeilds yard now and again. I have had his step son doing some paper hanging at our house. I did see Wally a while ago at his house.He has not changed one bit from what he was.

He gave me some photos for Wheel Tapper to show @ a IRTE event.

Cheers

Peter

cattle wagon man:
Further to the 2 former Chris Miller Seddon Atkinsons on the previous page, this DAF XF 480
is photographed in its Preston hometown.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

That tractor unit was parked outside the chippy on Hennel Lane on Saturday morning.
@JAKEY, I once had a Shopsteward like that when I was in the TGWU. He made a right song and dance with the management if he thought the lads were listening but everyone knew he was just out for number One.

Put me off Unions for life, shame really because they should be a good thing.

I’m going to post some pictures of the modern day Caledonian and Alty’s builders merchants. I hope they bring back some happy memories.

W

Peter Wells:

tom ■■■:

I know Wally. He used to bring is T45 into Ditchfeilds yard now and again. I have had his step son doing some paper hanging at our house. I did see Wally a while ago at his house.He has not changed one bit from what he was.

Cheers

Peter

As mentioned Peter

Been a while since anyone added to this post
ASHTRANS were based at Red Scar Ind Est Preston and worked on container haulage
The Ash comes from, ASHTON a district in Preston

This is my mate Bill Smiths old Volvo, two decades of day to day sterling service.

He sold it last week…

W

wheeltapper:
Been a while since anyone added to this post
ASHTRANS were based at Red Scar Ind Est Preston and worked on container haulage
The Ash comes from, ASHTON a district in Preston
[
ashtrans was owned and run by the late gerry kenyon and jean weve had some great nights out when it was a job worth doing both he and jean are sadly missed

Hi All

Some more Bensons Crisps Shots for you all.

Taken when they were at my father’s paint shop

I have quite a few other pics that I can share including Burtons Biscuits, Avesco etc if there is any interest

Thanks

Rawy

hiya,
Rawy new stuff is always welcome, bring it on, the more the better
there’s loads of people who look in on here and would welcome any
new material to keep things rolling along.
thanks harry, long retired.

I remember these Preston hauliers from the early seventies. Burtons Transport at Tulketh Brow had Albions, AECs and Leylands, 6 and 4 wheelers. They ran on Containerways on Preston Docks. I think there is a coach firm in their yard now. Princes Transport Lytham Road had a Leyland Comet, LAD . They used to work for Beeches Chocolates and ended up with a Seddon Atkinson 200. Morgan and Nutter ,Black Bull Lane had recovery lorries, AEC Militants ,Diamond T’s, Fodens, Scammels,AEC MK.V . They had a contract for Shell as there were always tankers outside their garage. I wish I had taken photos of the Leyland LAD Octopuses and Comets, Albion Reivers. There was a guy called Lishman from Cadley who had one or two F88s and did the Middle East. I would like to see some photos of any of the above .

Hi All

Some Burtons Biscuits for you

Cheers

Rawy

15164831864030D527.png
15164831864030D527.png

harry_gill:
hiya,
Rawy new stuff is always welcome, bring it on, the more the better
there’s loads of people who look in on here and would welcome any
new material to keep things rolling along.
thanks harry, long retired.

Just a coupl of Preston Greenore Ferry Services
L.A.B.Lathams. onthe combi
Chris Millers 1965.

Does anyone out there remember the OWENRO this was Greenore Ferry Services (Flag Ship)

This was taken preston docks 1965-66

Chris Millers-1965.png

paul2006:

josh:
My first proper haulage firm job was with Chris Millers when they were taking the rocks down to Liverpool for the
building of the Seaforth Docks. And also loads of weekend work taking bridge sections for the electrification of the
West Coast rail line. Guys like Johnny Carty and Tommy Brindle there at that time among loads of others and also
abnormal load work it was a great job to get experience of all types of haulage. Not forgetting egg trays from Ireland.

do you mean johnny carthy (honest john)?

Last I heared cigar smoking john carthey was liveing in aboat on Preston Dock.
Guesty44.

Big Al:

tankerian:

altury169:
Does anybody remember RAMSDENS HAULAGE owned by the Latham family who also owned LATHAM’S TRANSPORTERS AND LATHAM’S AUTOBULK. They also owned Crossley House where Ribble Vally Training Group was based. Walter Latham and Billy Latham used to live in Crossley House befor renting out to Ribble Valley. I worked for Ramsden’s in 1965 and in 1966 moved over to Latham’s car transporters till 1973. Ramsdens was also the agents for M.A.N IN 1973 or 1974. I bought a M.A.N and started on middle east with it in Jan.1975. the old M.A.N served me well for a good few years.

My dad used to work for Ramsdens as a driver a fella known as George Bradley, also my brother used to be a fitter for them at Crossley House, he was called Mal Bradley.

Diesel in your blood Ian :smiley: well done hope to see you on the rally circuit next year.
regards Big Al

Hiya big al Freddie guest.
GUESTY44. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

wheeltapper:

Peter Wells:

tom ■■■:

Cheers

Peter

As mentioned Peter

Hiya Anybody know if Geoff Robinson is still knocking about.
What a good bloke I knew him from when I was at Greenore and after.
Seeing him up and down the road.
GUESTY44.

sadly Geoff Robinson passed away about 2years ago

tom ■■■:
sadly Geoff Robinson passed away about 2years ago

That is bad news,Not what I wanted to hear though but thanks “tom ■■■”
GUESTY44.R.I.P Geoff.

When they opened up Sharpness Depot They had about
15 there;
Gordon Farrell who worked at Greenore with went there
for a time till it was up and running.
Great days.