Preston hauliers

Ian Parkinson Scania 730 6x4. What a wagon to put on tip work!

In view of all the bloody rain we are having, a picture I found taken early 1980’s
London rd Preston near Ribble Paper mill and old Atki works
Charles Mayor Leyland Clydesdale

wheeltapper:

In view of all the bloody rain we are having, a picture I found taken early 1980’s

Mayor’s yard used to be behind the Bridge Inn in those days,so he must have just set off!

240 Gardner:

wheeltapper:

Mayor’s yard used to be behind the Bridge Inn in those days,so he must have just set off!

He must have been returning back to the yard as he is heading towards Preston with the Yew tree behind him, we owned a house on Edward street at this time within spitting distance of the old Atkinson works.

tankerian:
He must have been returning back to the yard as he is heading towards Preston with the Yew tree behind him, we owned a house on Edward street at this time within spitting distance of the old Atkinson works.

Absolutely right! I was looking at Victoria Road back-to-front - that’s what living “down south” for years does to one’s brain!

I used to get off the bus (route no.2 from Blackburn, via Mellor Brook…) at the end of Edward Street about 4.55 p.m. each day, walk down and wait for the 5 p.m. scrum to pass by, then go upstairs to meet my Dad at his desk, ready for a lift home :slight_smile: That was in 1970/1.

wheeltapper:

I remember that flood very well.

Me and a friend from school had been playing table tennis at a club in Higher Walton. The River Darwen broke it’s banks while we were playing, it took my friends dad three hours to drive us home to Duddle Lane (normally a ten minute drive).

When got turned back near where our yard is now and I recall thinking that ‘I will never by a house at the bottom of a hill…’ Thirty years later, and I never have haha.

Mega picture Wheeltapper!

W

used to stop in american sq london with mayor , s men a long time ago they used to load boxes of lard all hand ball out of perless refinings at greenwich if memories serves well

Couple of Preston (or nearby) based wagons seen today.

here is a good one.anyone remember or have pics of mellings,i think st georges st. they ran clapped out tippers and skip wagons mainly tk bedfords or anything that would drive out of the scrap yard.they were a genorous firm who gave every employee £1 and a chicken every xmas.happy days .jack.

who remembers mellings with their old junk tippers and skip wagons.any info and pics.regards,jack.

Seen here, taking a break from its usual work , is Wayne Catts Scania R 500. This vehicle was taking part in the " Preston Guild " celebrations procession around Preston`s city centre last Autumn.

The bl**dy bald-headed berk shown in the photo , suddenly grew a foot taller just as I clicked my camera. :unamused:

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

Another one to add to the list
commercialmotor.com/latest-n … R9t-2ehGtM

One or two local firms on the Guild thread.

When on holiday on Malta about 6 years ago, I spotted 2 Seddon-Atkinson tractor units each
bearing the name of Chris Miller Ltd., Preston. Possibly the matching green semi-trailers were ex-Miller too.
Both were parked a matter of a few yards apart, and displaying their new owners` name on the cab headboard :-

• S. Vella & Son.

cattle wagon man:
When on holiday on Malta about 6 years ago, I spotted 2 Seddon-Atkinson tractor units each
bearing the name of Chris Miller Ltd., Preston. Possibly the matching green semi-trailers were ex-Miller too.
Both were parked a matter of a few yards apart, and displaying their new owners` name on the cab headboard :-

• S. Vella & Son.

Nice one! I can remember Miller having two like that: one was VCT 140S, I think and the other was ex-Pandoro, one of the UBV —V batch, I think 392

Hi 240 Gardner,
I don`t think that Preston has as much sunshine as Malta . :laughing:

The second Chris Miller Seddon Atkinson differs only from no cab roof beacons and having a black background on the " Big A "
badge. The box on the trailer appears to have been fitted to a chassis in its earlier life.

I think that someone has already posted a similar photo of this S.A. on here , but I can`t remember who, or which thread.

The Chris Miller Seddon Atkinson with the beacons on the top of the cab is ex Arthur Pooley’s livestock transporter THG 403V
which I drove many miles when new. This message is for Cattlewagon man. I have got pictures of THG 403V when new.

Lance Biscomb:
The Chris Miller Seddon Atkinson with the beacons on the top of the cab is ex Arthur Pooley’s livestock transporter THG 403V
which I drove many miles when new. This message is for Cattlewagon man. I have got pictures of THG 403V when new.

Lance Boscombe? The mon himself, respect fella.
W

Hi Alex , thankyou for the reply about the Much holle depot , when I started on Brs Oxford depot on a friday night I would go out in a leyland roadtrain D88 HFB to The much hoole depot with the driver Ivor parry on the Edmunds walker contract .

He would trunk a forty footer and then tranship part of the load on to a 16 tonner for the lancs run and the rest was for a scottish 16 t truck to be taken back to Edinburgh to be delivered the next morning by the day driver .

I recall us going round the back and driving in to a large whare house,then after the transhipping we would ro round by the work shops and swill the muck off the truck then have our 45 in the potacabin .

I do recall the Preston fleet being Leyland roadtrains but the 2032 rather than our small 1730 . They must have pulled more weight than our Roadtrain .

Attached is Ivors next beloved Roadtrain when he went on the Fleetwood trunk with F995 sou , untill he retired . Great days in the two wagons and i know Ivor was flat out on the Fleetwood run and if didnot he would not get home , he was a union man but bent the rules to suit him self which in my eyes is a no no .