Preparing to go off grid

Quite frankly, it doesn’t matter who you listen to today.

The relentless need to attract the fickle butterfly attention of the population at large, has now resulted in even previously dependable and sensible news sources resorting to the screaming fear mongering headlines in a desperate attempt to get people to choose their pathetic outlet for a click…

The latest orchestrated panic inducing click baiting “energy bills to go up by £1000 per week for ever” headline fest has done for me.

I truly believe that as of now, there is not a single, reasoned, non partisan, even handed news outlet, that can be trusted to tell you just the facts, and let you make your own conclusions.

BBC, GB NEWS, ITV, SKY, FOX, and all and every "independent " on the interweb, is so ■■■■■■■ with either the owners agenda, the woke agenda, advertising revenue, or just plain Bat ■■■■ crazy, that it’s pretty much pointless to listen to them. I won’t anymore.

There’s a small wooded copse out there with my name on it. Hopefully it’s close enough to the boat, as I would rather not limit myself to either fish OR rabbit… :sunglasses:

I very rarely watch TV. I live off-grid already. I bought a tonne of coal this Summer and it had gone up a lot since last year, from £440 to £520 but that will last me all Winter. I burn a lot of pallet wood as well, I get this for free.

I do also pay more for red diesel but most of my electricity comes from solar panels. I’ll freely admit that I do lead a very minimalist life which wouldn’t suit most folk.

The end game looks like an all electric captive market at £1 per kWh + standing charge + VAT.
Going off grid with solar panels combined with a 5-8 kW diesel generator seems logical default choice.

Harry Monk:
I very rarely watch TV. I live off-grid already. I bought a tonne of coal this Summer and it had gone up a lot since last year, from £440 to £520 but that will last me all Winter. I burn a lot of pallet wood as well, I get this for free.

I do also pay more for red diesel but most of my electricity comes from solar panels. I’ll freely admit that I do lead a very minimalist life which wouldn’t suit most folk.

I know Harry, I used to live on a working coal boat for a few years, I loved it, family and circumstances meant moving back on the bank and driving for a living, but recently I’ve started looking at boats again…

the nodding donkey:
Quite frankly, it doesn’t matter who you listen to today.

The relentless need to attract the fickle butterfly attention of the population at large, has now resulted in even previously dependable and sensible news sources resorting to the screaming fear mongering headlines in a desperate attempt to get people to choose their pathetic outlet for a click…

The latest orchestrated panic inducing click baiting “energy bills to go up by £1000 per week for ever” headline fest has done for me.

I truly believe that as of now, there is not a single, reasoned, non partisan, even handed news outlet, that can be trusted to tell you just the facts, and let you make your own conclusions.

BBC, GB NEWS, ITV, SKY, FOX, and all and every "independent " on the interweb, is so ■■■■■■■ with either the owners agenda, the woke agenda, advertising revenue, or just plain Bat [zb] crazy, that it’s pretty much pointless to listen to them. I won’t anymore.

There’s a small wooded copse out there with my name on it. Hopefully it’s close enough to the boat, as I would rather not limit myself to either fish OR rabbit… :sunglasses:

+1

Alice down the rabbit hole

This seems a bit similar to the thread started by Juddian below…

There is a huge community of off grid people in tents and van lifers on yourtube and facebook. Most seem to end up back in houses after a winter or two. I wonder how cold it is in the winter with condensation in vans and boats must be especially freezing in the water?

Narc:
There is a huge community of off grid people in tents and van lifers on yourtube and facebook. Most seem to end up back in houses after a winter or two. I wonder how cold it is in the winter with condensation in vans and boats must be especially freezing in the water?

LPG heaters produce as much water as heat.
But a decent solid fuelled stove or electric fan heaters powered by a diesel generator would probably work fine in a house or van or a boat.
Unfortunately the government probably knows it so expect to see stoves and private use of red diesel for generators stopped soon.

Narc:

Preparation, and yes, a certain “down sizing” of your comfort levels may be required.
You need a wood or multi fuel burner.
A gas heater, (like in caravans/motorhomes), whilst very effective, is very expensive to run, and needs big bottles to carry about. Diesel heaters, like our truck night heaters, use diesel, and electricity, which eats your batteries.

Insulation is key, and easily can half your solid fuel bill. It also combats condensation.
The biggest learning curve seems to be the usage of water. We are so used to letting the taps run, wasting fast amounts of water, that living with a small tank which takes considerable time and effort to get filled, often is the straw that breaks the camels back.

Oh, and there’s the toilet situation… :grimacing:

It’s not for everyone, but it will quickly sort out the over population problem .

Narc:
I wonder how cold it is in the winter with condensation in vans and boats must be especially freezing in the water?

“Is it cold in the Winter?” is the question I get asked more than any other by gongoozlers to which my standard reply is “If you turned all the heating off in your house, would your house be cold in Winter?”. :wink:

Narc:

I lived in a double decker bus for two winters. Solid fuel stoves upstairs and down. No insulation. Vast window area. Wrapped up like an eskimo to go to bed. Lovely in Summer.

the nodding donkey:
, there is not a single, reasoned, non partisan, even handed news outlet, that can be trusted.

Of course there isn’t. There are only three or four media companies in the entire world. Only two companies in the entire world when you take it back that far.

But why would someone with a decent mind expect a news outlet to keep them informed of anything whatsoever.

Download Telegram (and from the website directly as apks from Play have shells censoring broadcasts and channels - Note: Unless you’re on iPhone (it won’t let you install an apk from outside of iTunes of course) in which case you’ve got bigger problems with habitual assimilation) and build folders where everything comes to you… Including off-grid subject-matter… Then sift out the stuff that matters.

I have now started watching the van lifers and fancy a van now! One of the bigger van life vloggers lives in a camper and drives trucks :sunglasses: