Preferred Course Schedule

This is to get a discussion on preferred course scheduling.

Most trainers go for ■■ hours over 3, 4 or 5 days. Is this actually what folks want? Do folks think it’s a good idea to have shorter sessions eg 2 hrs on several consecutive days (remembering that, in our case, we are the test centre so no time is spent travelling to and from it). Would folks like to do fewer but longer sessions? Is there a demand for a more thorough, longer (and clearly more expensive) course? What would the reaction be to having more training on a “real” artic than on w+d?

I’m trying to get sensible feedback to help with the periodic “practices review” that I carry out every couple of years, so sensible comments are welcome.

Would be interesting to find out.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

i prefer as many hours as possible at my own expense the more hours you get training the more confident and better driver you become, but thats a tricky one as not every one is capable of doing long hours straight away, i prefer the 5 days + option doing atleast 3 - 4 hours a day. it might not be cheap and may not be able to get so many lessons in but (from a trainers point of view) it helps us the trainees building skills.

Think it is personal choice I done the 5 straight full days 2-1 but know some people would rather spread it over due to there work commitments it can also spread the cost of the lessons yep you may need a few more hours but if you offered that it would then be unto them

I’d prefer 4 hour per day course. 8 hrs in a cab while training may be a bit too much info to think about

Priest:
I’d prefer 4 hour per day course. 8 hrs in a cab while training may be a bit too much info to think about

If doing the day it is normally 2-1 training so you do swop also take into account the breaks although I have done full day myself not as bad as it sounds tbh

animal:

Priest:

If doing the day it is normally 2-1 training so you do swop also take into account the breaks although I have done full day myself not as bad as it sounds tbh

Yeah, you are right, i did have a chance to try both and still find 4 hours 1-to-1 better for me :slight_smile:

its a tough one. for me i think i would learn the best if i did 2 hrs per day over several days. its really not that practical though.

what i would opt for would be 8 hr days 2 to 1 so you get the best of both, doing full days with regular breaks but still learning at the same time.

Peter Smythe:
This is to get a discussion on preferred course scheduling.

Most trainers go for ■■ hours over 3, 4 or 5 days. Is this actually what folks want? Do folks think it’s a good idea to have shorter sessions eg 2 hrs on several consecutive days (remembering that, in our case, we are the test centre so no time is spent travelling to and from it). Would folks like to do fewer but longer sessions? Is there a demand for a more thorough, longer (and clearly more expensive) course? What would the reaction be to having more training on a “real” artic than on w+d?

I’m trying to get sensible feedback to help with the periodic “practices review” that I carry out every couple of years, so sensible comments are welcome.

Would be interesting to find out.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete
Interesting post
My feeling is to have a bit more time per day OR offer compressed option(intensive) say over 3 days which I think you do.Choice is important -people learn at different pace and there are potentially challenges in getting time off.Your flexibility I think is a major benefit for would be learners.I can’t help thinking that it was your PSTT (and in my case you personally )patience and flexibility which was a major factor in helping me pass.
basically I was written off as no hoper you proved that wrong.

Kind Regards

Jim
jimuk

Hi Pete
When I did mine did 5 days 8 till 12 1on1 had the choice of all day 2on1 but chose 4 hours a day with the instructor,reason being could go through something again if I wasn’t sure without the pressure of someone else sitting behind me watching.
That said it’s not how long you learn it’s the person teaching you that makes the difference

Jeff.

Daytrunker:
Hi Pete
When I did mine did 5 days 8 till 12 1on1 had the choice of all day 2on1 but chose 4 hours a day with the instructor,reason being could go through something again if I wasn’t sure without the pressure of someone else sitting behind me watching.
That said it’s not how long you learn it’s the person teaching you that makes the difference

Jeff.

Absolutely agree with Daytrucker about it’s the person teaching you that make a difference.
I think this is where PSTT excel

My ha’penorth as someone in the market:

-definitely want to train on a real artic rather than w & d.

-definitely want to train on a manual at least for one of the c and e, preferably the c as then you’ve got it if you don’t go for e right away. Autos would put me off straight away as I’m guessing you will have plenty of manuals to get used to in the real world…(Or maybe separate ‘familiarisation’ with each gearbox type sessions)

• there are surprisingly few ‘open days/mornings’ available at schools, and ringing round one of the most important things I want to see and sit in are the actual vehicles, but these are always ‘out’. So an open day would I think be a good selling point: free coffee and bacon butties and maybe some input from a local employer…

-I also want to meet the individual instructors and get some sort of idea if they would be my actual instructor…pictures and mini profiles on the web site would be a good idea…

-also some idea of what qualifications/training people have…it sometimes feels awkward to ask, but just being a good driver doesn’t make you a good instructor. What do all those letters mean anyway?

-generally I’ve been struck by how unhelpful (some) people can be…Well, what do you want to know? type approach.

-also need for franknesss about total costs/hidden costs like medicals. I thought going into this it would be in the region of £2k, in reality its more like £3k. A lot of sites are very cagy/vague about price yet this is (one of) the most important things…and I’m well aware that cheapest isnt the same as best value…

Hope that helps…its very positive that you are carrying out this type of review I think…

Instructor quals do not give an indication of personality

Been some reports on here of DVSA qual instructors who shout at trainees !

Talking to other trainees past or present will give you a much better overview of an instructor

My responses are below:

-definitely want to train on a real artic rather than w & d. We have a couple of full size artics

definitely want to train on a manual at least for one of the c and e, preferably the c as then you’ve got it if you don’t go for e right away. Autos would put me off straight away as I’m guessing you will have plenty of manuals to get used to in the real world…(Or maybe separate ‘familiarisation’ with each gearbox type sessions) This is totally up to the candidate; we run every combination so we give the choice

• there are surprisingly few ‘open days/mornings’ available at schools, and ringing round one of the most important things I want to see and sit in are the actual vehicles, but these are always ‘out’. So an open day would I think be a good selling point: free coffee and bacon butties and maybe some input from a local employer… We are in the process of planning another open day in September. In the meantime, our centre is always open between 8 and 5 Monday to Friday and, having the size of fleet we have there is always something you’re welcome to sit in. At the same time meet the support staff and possibly some of the trainers
    -I also want to meet the individual instructors and get some sort of idea if they would be my actual instructor…pictures and mini profiles on the web site would be a good idea… The only way of doing this with us is to book an assessment. If you then choose to book it’s perfectly ok to request the instructor you’ve just had. Sometimes folks request a particular instructor because a friend has recommended them. We always accommodate these requests. Our website is also up for review and I’ve noted you comments about mini-profiles. It’s good to know that, apart from being a DVSA registered trainer, these people have had years of experience in the real world. Between us we’ve done most things - not all - so there is a wealth of experience to draw on..

-also some idea of what qualifications/training people have…it sometimes feels awkward to ask, but just being a good driver doesn’t make you a good instructor. What do all those letters mean anyway? Unqualified instructors will always tell you that the quals mean nothing. They would wouldn’t they?! The fact is that a DVSA qualified instructor has to pass 4 tests and then has a retest (conducted by a Senior Examiner) every 4 years to maintain the qualification. I know that there are “instructors” in my area who have failed repeatedly and, as a result, are now in a disqualification period from being able to take the tests again. Feel free to come into our centre and ask who has got which qualification - and proof. BTW, there is also a DVSA Centre Accreditation Scheme (dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php) and you will notice the numbers are extremely low. Maybe that’s because we can only employ DVSA registered instructors as part of the Centre Accreditation. I totally agree with ROG that having the qualification doesn’t make you perfect - - but at least the person has taken their career seriously and has proved that they are capable. Apart from that, you’re in the lap of the gods.

-generally I’ve been struck by how unhelpful (some) people can be…Well, what do you want to know? type approach. Call our office. If you get that response I’ll give you a free course.

-also need for franknesss about total costs/hidden costs like medicals. I thought going into this it would be in the region of £2k, in reality its more like £3k. A lot of sites are very cagy/vague about price yet this is (one of) the most important things…and I’m well aware that cheapest isnt the same as best value… All our rates are clear on our website. We’ve never tried to be clever. I’m an adult and I treat other people as adults. Maybe that’s why we’re still here after 30 years. The only thing that isn’t published on the website is the 10% Trucknet user discount. You need to ask for that when booking. Interesting that few trainers publicise the FULL cost of the training - start to finish.

Hope that helps…its very positive that you are carrying out this type of review I think…

Thanks for that. This is just a small part of a major review of our operation and it’s helpful when constructive comments are put forward.

Thanks again, Pete :laughing: :laughing: