Pre test question cat c

just a couple of things I`d like to ask of anyone in the know, no 1 - my instructor keeps telling me now and again but not all the time to to put parking brake on before taking out of gear , but I keep doing opposite as habit , so will this mark against me in test or is it instructors preference I do this? .

Always parking brake on before taking out of gear. If it’s out of gear before the brake is on you are not in control of the vehicle. This will give you enough minors to make your test a fail.

thanks m1cks 2 days to knock that on the head lol .

Sorry, that’s not correct. There is no requirement to use the park brake before selecting neutral. Certainly it’s best practice and I encourage folks to do it. But it has no bearing on the test outcome.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Surely it’s the same as coasting. Coasting is considered to be not in full control of the vehicle.

I take your point but I believe the OP was talking about the vehicle being stationary. Provided the vehicle doesn’t move before the park brake is applied, there’s no problem. But, as I said, it’s best practice to use the park brake before selecting neutral although it’s not an issue on test.

m1cks:
Surely it’s the same as coasting. Coasting is considered to be not in full control of the vehicle.

My fault sorry I meant when vehicle is at a stop

It’s always best to be in a routine.

Park Brake
Neutral
Indicator off

Well this is the way I teach it.

Paul :smiley:

Park Brake
Neutral
Indicator off

Like I said, this is best practice. But the OP wanted to know if it would affect the test outcome and the answer is NO.

Peter Smythe:

Park Brake
Neutral
Indicator off

Like I said, this is best practice. But the OP wanted to know if it would affect the test outcome and the answer is NO.

Yes Pete

The point I was making is to try and teach a routine not just in the above but also mirror checks, gears etc.

Also try and simplify everything no point making work when it can be avoided.

In the DSA test waiting room their is normally another candidate on test at the same time. I regularly listen to the other instructor giving last minute tips.

I just say to mine just do what your been taught and trust me. No point complicating the issue at this late stage.

Peter Smythe:
Sorry, that’s not correct. There is no requirement to use the park brake before selecting neutral. Certainly it’s best practice and I encourage folks to do it. But it has no bearing on the test outcome.

elmet training:
Park Brake
Neutral
Indicator off

Both the above quotes are of course absolutely correct. Personally I find that most candidates knock the vehicle into neutral before applying the parking brake. I find that if I overly insist on applying the parking brake 1st they sometimes apply it while the vehicle is still moving causing an instant locking of the rear wheels. As Peter says it has no bearing on the test outcome but beware of stopping on a hill and not applying the parking brake.

I was taught that it is the rolling back that is the real issue.

Since there is no hard and fast rule about when or whether you MUST apply hand brake when stopped, it follows that you should be free to choose whether to rely just on foot brake or go for the additional assurance of the hand brake instead. The rule of thumb I had was when you’re going to be stationary at a Give Way junction (e.g. roundabouts) for more than about 5 seconds or so, plus every time you are at a mandatory Stop like traffic lights.

I’d also always use it on uphills for safety, but since you can pull away from foot brake on downhills the hand brake is optional there too.

I actually quite like the reassurance of following what I was taught and setting the hand brake first before disengaging gears, if I have decided that I need to use the hand brake.

Are you really regarded as out of control if you’re knocked into neutral on the foot brake?

ORC:
Are you really regarded as out of control if you’re knocked into neutral on the foot brake?

Not really but its bad safety practice

Also just using footbrake for more than a few seconds with another waiting behind is also bad practice = blazing brake lights not nice on the eyes